Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #1

Niagara Falls, Ny- things to see and do

looking for some ideas for things to do with the teen grandkids in and around the area. will take them under the falls and look at the falls at night from the canada side. probably go on the erie canal ride thru the locks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I took my college age son and two of his buddies on a 'guy trip' to Niagara Falls in the summer of 2009.

We actually starting in Canton, OH with the Football Hall of Fame (if that's on your way) and stopped in Cleveland for a visit with one of their old high school buddies.

They thought the Maid of the Mist boatride was 'intense' and the big whirlpool down river was 'very cool' too. We did not get over to the Canadian side but did see the falls lite up at night. There should be plenty to keep your teens occupied.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up

Lots to do. Go to the Jet Boat ride - up past the whirlpool. There is also an amusement park on the Canadian side. Maid of the Mist is another must-do.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We also are planning a trip this summer to the falls. Can anyone recommend a CG on either the Canada or US side, been looking at the Yogi Bear site on Canada side and the KOA on the US side. Would appreciate any recommendations you have...
Old 02-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
When we were at a recent RV show there was a private campground called Branches that had a table. Looked like a nice park with good amenities, though I haven't been there. Jellystone is ok - not much privacy, and the amenities are ok (pool, nice convenience store, some activities but perhaps more for kids, but a shuttle to the Falls was a nice touch). We would go back to Jellystone for its closeness to the falls and the shuttle bus; the park itself was ok.
terapin-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Besides Maid of the Mist, I've been to these & would recommend them:
Go up in the Skylon Tower. Also has places to eat.
Aero car ride over the whirlpools
Journey Behind the Falls
Incline Railway
Whitewater Walk

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can not help you on the US side any more than a AAA tour book could.

But if you have a passport and thus visit the Canadian side, visit the Chamber of Comernece. tell 'em you are on your 2nd (or 3rd or whatever) Honeymoon and they have a package for you, Discounts at north side of the river attractions and such.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
don't forget about the passports for the Canadian side.

we'll be camping on the US side. we're thinking of camping at the Branches.

glad to hear someone else liked it already.
KSDP_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by terapin-bear View Post
When we were at a recent RV show there was a private campground called Branches that had a table. Looked like a nice park with good amenities, though I haven't been there. Jellystone is ok - not much privacy, and the amenities are ok (pool, nice convenience store, some activities but perhaps more for kids, but a shuttle to the Falls was a nice touch). We would go back to Jellystone for its closeness to the falls and the shuttle bus; the park itself was ok.
What were the prices during your stay?
Has anyone stayed at the KOA near the falls? We have our passport cards, so staying on the canada is no problem.
To see all the sites listed above, what is the recommendation on the duration of the trip needed to ensure that we take all the tours..
Old 02-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Can't believe no one has mentioned Old Fort Niagara. After viewing the power of the falls, OFN was our next favorite AND for an RV park consider Four Mile Creek State Park (275 sites). It's out of the "touristy" congested area, is on the banks of Lake Ontario, great sites at less than 1/2 the price of the falls area and a 4 lane divided highway to Niagara (12-14 minutes)
Call and get the official visitor guide at 1-877-FALLSUS. It has lots of info and discount coupons
FYI - We were there fall of 2010
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been to Niagara many times as its relatively a short drive for us. We always stay at the KOA Lundy's Lane. On a trip back from the US we did stay at the KOA Niagara Falls New York, but no comparison to the one on the Canadian side in my opinion.
We have taken the time to drive to the various campgrounds in the area and still believe that for a family its hard to beat the KOA Lundy's Lane. Crossing the border is no problem as long as you have all the necessary paperwork. Since you are bringing grandchildren I think you might need a notarized letter from their parents allowing you to take the G-kids into Canada. I would check that out to save a problem.
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #12

Definitely do the Maid of the Mist...very intense view that shows you the power of the falls.
dmullen is offline   Reply With Quote