Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #1

Niagra Falls CG

Looking for a nice CP in this area. Is it better to stay on the U.S. side or the canadian side? I have been up there several times...but never camping. We will be traveling with our 38' MH and my SIL has a 34' 5er. We will be traveling in August and looking for some good suggestions. Thanks.

pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette
Looking for a nice CP in this area. Is it better to stay on the U.S. side or the canadian side? I have been up there several times...but never camping. We will be traveling with our 38' MH and my SIL has a 34' 5er. We will be traveling in August and looking for some good suggestions. Thanks.
Check out four mile creek state park. I'm going there next week on recomendations from this forum. Looks like a great place.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
On the Canadian side there is Shalamar at Niagara on the Lake. Sites could be larger, but acceptable. On the American side we usually stay at Grand Island KOA. Nice sites. Not the closest but we like it. Possible drawback, Grand Island Amusement Park is nearby. You may run into lots of kids.

Golden Hill State Park, about 20 miles away is very quiet and has several water and electric sites and most would handle a 34'er. Nice view of the lake, sunset views, lighthouse to tour. Drawback, w&e sites are hard to get sometimes.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
KOA Niagara Can side.... pricey but not bad........should be easy to get a site as very few Americans come to Canada these days.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #5

I've stayed at the KOA on both sides a couple of years ago and in May this year stayed at Four Mile Park. If I were to do it again I think I'd opt for the Canada KOA. I presume the city bus still stops almost in front of the Canada KOA and drops you off right at the falls. Much easier than the drive in from the Grand Isle KOA or Four Mile State Park and NO PARKING problems that way.
Enjoy
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #6

My SIL and her hubby want to stay on the american side. For whatever the reasonthey don't wont to have to worry about the border patrol scouring through their 5er. My theory is that they can search through anything they want. IMO, the majority of the attractions are on the canadian side and if we stay on the U.S. side we would have to travel across the border each day to see the sights. Oh I love the inlaws!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #7

Pacevette- They may not want the expense of obtaining passports (necessary for returning to the USA-not canada). american KOA is extermely high priced/ noisy/ and certain sites flood during rains. (been there more than once over the years. Best CG are one the Canadian side (either KOA or on the opposite side of the road from KOA) Canadian entry is hassle free (if you are not carrying prohibited items) and the same returning to the USA. Use the Peace Bridge entrance (truck route)
Old 06-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #8

We were there in our MH about 3 weeks ago. The Canadian side is where the real views are. Crossing the border in Michigan was no big deal. We stayed at the KOA and it was nice.

We had our jeep, but the bus to the falls is literally across the street from the campground.

Also, if you have one of the enhanced drivers lic, you can use that to get back into the US in lieu of a passport.

We did the falls and Maid of the Mist, had dinner at The Keg which has a wonderful view of the falls. Also did the buffet dinner the previous day at the Skylon tower (think Space Needle without the drizzle, 56F temps and disaffected youth). All very nice!
Old 06-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
it's about the wasted time

I agree with the in-laws.
No way that I want to spend any more time sitting at customs than I have to.

The agents might have time to spend scouring my MH but i don't have that time.

I will stay on the American side and take my toad thru customs - much less for them to scour should they decide on it.
KSDP_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stayed at KOA Canada, and had easy access to down town via the bus which stops in front of the CG. Tha Canadians do a light show on the falls which is very nice, of coarse you must be on the Canadian side to be able to fully enjoy it. Great dinner theater right next to the CG.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:01 AM   #11

We are all still hashing it out....but thank you for all of gut recommendations. Very helpful!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:13 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I stayed on Grand Island KOA, site was so close to other rv I had to ask before he put out slide to get my sewer hose out. If i had a slide it would not have been able to be put out. Other side was a camper full of people drinking with fire going, ashes landed on my motor home. I was at the end of the koa park that is next to the train in the park next door, sites where gravel. Price to high for the one night.
Never will go there again.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Can't say enough good about Four Mile Creek State Park! Huge spaces, 100 feet from Lk. Ontario and near Ft. Niagara which we found as interesting as the Falls. The 4 lane divided highway to Niagara was never crowded and took all of 12-15 minutes. Hwy. 18 eastbound along Lk. Ontario to Thirty Mile Lighthouse (tours available) was interesting.
As you'll note on the NY state park web site, the price is right - note some sites have sewer - some do not.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller
Can't say enough good about Four Mile Creek State Park! Huge spaces, 100 feet from Lk. Ontario and near Ft. Niagara which we found as interesting as the Falls. The 4 lane divided highway to Niagara was never crowded and took all of 12-15 minutes. Hwy. 18 eastbound along Lk. Ontario to Thirty Mile Lighthouse (tours available) was interesting.
As you'll note on the NY state park web site, the price is right - note some sites have sewer - some do not.
I'm here now because of your previous posts. Thank you. Its all you said it is.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote