Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Nice RV campground in the Keys ?

we are going to the keys first week of DEc and would like some info on nice place to stay for a week. Looking at Bluewater key rv resort, Geiger Key marina &Rv park, and Boyds key west campground. (saw all three in magazine) Any info on these or others would be appreciated. Need pool, 50 amp, full hookup etc. A group of four rigs ,all with 50+ years young and active.Thanks
Newmar 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncruiser 11 View Post
we are going to the keys first week of DEc and would like some info on nice place to stay for a week. Looking at Bluewater key rv resort, Geiger Key marina &Rv park, and Boyds key west campground. (saw all three in magazine) Any info on these or others would be appreciated. Need pool, 50 amp, full hookup etc. A group of four rigs ,all with 50+ years young and active.Thanks
This place is nice:

http://www.rvonthego.com/florida/sun...resort-marina/

It's about 40 miles from Key West just west of the 7 mile bridge.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncruiser 11 View Post

Be aware, this could be an issue. You may need to stay at different locations. There really aren't any bad places in the Keys ... just some have more stuff and are more expensive. Don't eliminate State Parks but they are a hard get (and no pool ... and probably no sewage connect).
Old 02-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #4

We have stayed at boyds for the last three years, you can bike ride to key west. They have great customer service sites are a little tight(bigger than most in the keys) we looked at blue water very nice large private sites. The only draw back with bluewater(for us) to far away from everything .
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We have stayed in Bluewater Key while visiting Key West and the southern Keys. It was one of the most exquisite RV Resorts we have stayed in besides the Everglade Isle in Everglade City.

The only other place in the Keys that we stayed at was Fiesta Key RV Park which allowed us to see the mid to northern Keys while based out of Fiesta Key.

I can vouch for both of these that I mentioned as being adequate RV Parks for visiting the Keys.

There are also some great state parks but they will not have full hookups.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #6

BWK is probably the nicest RV resort I've ever seen, anywhere. I don't know if its the most expensive resort in the US, but its got to be up there. Boyds and Geiger are nice and much more affordable, but not in the same ballpark as BWK.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Suncruiser 11,
I've been going to the Keys for several years. All the CGs posted earlier have one disadvantage. They are close to Key west. For me, I can take Key West for a day or two, but after that I'm ready to do something else. For the past 8 years I have stayed at Sunshine Key RV Resort & Marina | Encore RV Resort in Florida Keys It is at mile marker 39. One is 39 miles from Key West. There are many things to do both north and south of the resort. Find No Name restaurant if you'd like a treasure hunt. It is a very unique place. About a 1 mile and 1/2 south of 7 mile bridge and you'll find it on the right side of the road.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #8

You say you need a pool, so that takes Geiger Key off the list. BWK is very nice and a short drive to KW. Boyd's has everything you asked for and is a bicycle ride into town. If you want to give up on the pool, then Geiger key works or right down the street from Boyd's is El Mar.. again, no pool, they only have 10 sites, so you and your group of 4 rigs would pretty much have the run of the place.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
The closest state park would be Bahia Honda 30+ miles out. You can forget that for one let alone five rigs because the sites would have to already be booked for next Dec. No sewers also. Blue Water is beautiful but check the price and run it by your group first. Those sites are (all?) privately owned and sub leased AFAIK so check availability. Sunshine is right up US1 from Bahia Honda. A huge place with full hook ups. Sites look just a little tight and there seems to be "compounds" set up with fences and huge shade tents when we go by. Boyds is indeed a cool spot. Yes a little tight but the location is great. We stay at Home | Knights Key RV Resort and MarinaKnights Key RV Resort and Marina | …the fun island for most of the winter. No sewer connections but they do have a honey wagon. Sorry no pool. Honestly they are kind of stuck in the 60s but we are OK with that. The sites are not paved but very large. 47 miles out from KW.

With any of these starting in Dec they begin to fill up so it would be best to make some calls to check availability especially if you want to get your group together in the CG.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't forget the Sugarloaf Key KOA at about MM 24. Been going there for last 7 years and will be there on March 14.

Close enough to Key West but also far enough. Pub, boat rentals, etc. right on site.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Don't forget the Sugarloaf Key KOA at about MM 24. Been going there for last 7 years and will be there on March 14.

Close enough to Key West but also far enough. Pub, boat rentals, etc. right on site.
I completely forgot about the KOA. Do they still have a shuttle bus to KW?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Boyds has the best location for seeing KW, but it is tight and crowded. You didn't say what type of rig you have. I would not go to Boyds with a big rig but otherwise it would be my first choice.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground