Safe and sound at the Sacramento West KOA.
Pretty smooth trip so far.
1. Drove from NJ to OH Turnpike and stayed at one of the service plaza. Unhooked the toad to park in their $20 lot and the next morning realized that they have designated RV spots near the trucks where you can stay for free!
2. Next drove to Peru, IL where we visited some cousins. Stayed at the KOA in West Utica, IL and went to Starved Rock SP for dinner.
3. Saturday was a long day as we drove from IL to Sidney, NE about 800 miles. The cross winds were wicked on 80 and it was a very tiring drive. Stayed in the truck lot at Cabela's and it started to get cold.
4. My cell phone did not change with the time zone and I thought I woke up and started driving at 5am but it was really 4am! Went through Laramie, WY two days AFTER the snow storm. Road was clear but snowy scenery was gorgeous! Did see two truck wrecks and one rental RV wreck on the road from the bad conditions. No wind today so made it all the way to Elko, NV (almost another 800 miles) and stayed at the Iron Bridge RV park which seemed to be mostly long term residents.
5. Did the relatively short run from Elko to Truckee, CA. Filled up in Fernley, NV before dealing with high fuel prices in CA. Stayed at the Coachland RV park in Truckee. Went to dinner at Gar Woods on Lake Tahoe.
6. Only had 100 miles to Sacramento so walked around Donner Pass SP and downtown Truckee in the morning. Very crisp weather but no wind. Left to climb Donner Pass around noon. About 2 miles from top, got a low coolant warning but engine temp was not elevated. Drove about another mile and warning went away. Got 3.7 MPG on way up and 9.3 MPG on way down!
7. Spent day doing errands in prep for son's wedding. Added about 1/2 gallon AF and about 1 quart of oil after 2775 mile trip!
Today the pre-wedding party begins!
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles