Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No. Cal.-Crater Lake-Oregon Coast-Redwoods

I trying to plan a trip next year up to northern Cal. to Crater lake to Oregon coast down to Redwoods, then down Hwy 101 back to So. Cal. Any ideas on where to stay, stop and play while on the road? Two adults and two kids (14 & 10). 40' MH w/toad.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We just did that trip, check out my blog at,smittyandsandy.bloodspot.com.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have two that I like that would be on the trail that you are taking.
The Ship Ashore Resort - 12370 Highway 101 - Smith River, CA 95567 - (800) 487-3141

Flying Flags, RV Resort, Buellton, CA, 93427
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #4

Great spot above Santa Barbara and just south of Solvan is Lake Cachuma County Park. Beautiful lake setting. No swimming in the late but boating and fishing available. Lots of room for the kids to run around.
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have made this trip a number of times from Tehachapi, not so far from you. Not sure how long you are allowing, but a sample trip of ours would be:
North on I-5 to Santa Nella in the afternoon, spend 1 night there.
Next day, on north to Shasta, spend one night there.
Take 97 at Weed to Klamath Falls, stock up on supplies, continue north on 97 to Hwy 62. Just before the town of Fort Klamath, is a private campground, named CRATER LAKE CAMPGROUND. We like it enough, on the last trip, we spent 5 nights there. (last year, 1 1/2 south of that campground, was a nesting bald eagle alongside the road) From that campground, you can take your toad to Crater Lake itself. You can take your motorhome on up, but it's not really the best thing to do. With your toad, you can take the entire road around the lake, with a bigger MH it's difficult. (At this time of the year, the loop road should be open)
From Crater Lake Campground, come back south 3-4 miles and take cutoff road back to 89, and continue on north. One year we went west at Bend across the Cascades thru the Sisters area (volcanic peaks) on Hwy 20. (Probably next trip we will take off 89 a little sooner on Hwy 58 ) You can continue on 20 past Corvalles to the coast at Newport. This is one of the better roads to cross the coastal range. A lot of them are narrow and very crooked. There is a high end RV resort just north of Newport. In town, is a very, very good marine aquarium. When ready, head south on 101. Plan on 4-5 days traveling through the Redwoods to sightsee. There are private campgrounds all along the Oregon coast, and the Redwoods in Ca.
Unless you are committed to coming down 101 to Ventura and on home, cut over on Ca hwy 20 by Clearlake, and on to Williams on the I-5, and then south. If you decide to go through the bay area, I suggest stageing so that you do it early, Sun morning.
Obviously, the reverse of this can be done.

As mentioned, we have done a lot of variations on this trip. Been to Crater Lake at least 10 times. Been to the Redwoods at least a dozen. At least half of these trips included both. One trip went all the way to Vancouver Island via Crater Lake,across the Strait of Juan de Fuca at Port Angeles and then back down, going all the way around the Olympic Pen. and 101 going south.
All very great trips. Your kids will remember a long time. Ours do, and now our grand daughters have done at least 5-6 such loops with us.
A trip this distance and all the sightseeing along the way needs 2 weeks at a minimum.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
We have made this trip a number of times from Tehachapi, not so far from you. Not sure how long you are allowing, but a sample trip of ours would be:
North on I-5 to Santa Nella in the afternoon, spend 1 night there.
Next day, on north to Shasta, spend one night there.
Take 97 at Weed to Klamath Falls, stock up on supplies, continue north on 97 to Hwy 62. Just before the town of Fort Klamath, is a private campground, named CRATER LAKE CAMPGROUND. We like it enough, on the last trip, we spent 5 nights there. (last year, 1 1/2 south of that campground, was a nesting bald eagle alongside the road) From that campground, you can take your toad to Crater Lake itself. You can take your motorhome on up, but it's not really the best thing to do. With your toad, you can take the entire road around the lake, with a bigger MH it's difficult. (At this time of the year, the loop road should be open)
From Crater Lake Campground, come back south 3-4 miles and take cutoff road back to 89, and continue on north. One year we went west at Bend across the Cascades thru the Sisters area (volcanic peaks) on Hwy 20. (Probably next trip we will take off 89 a little sooner on Hwy 58 ) You can continue on 20 past Corvalles to the coast at Newport. This is one of the better roads to cross the coastal range. A lot of them are narrow and very crooked. There is a high end RV resort just north of Newport. In town, is a very, very good marine aquarium. When ready, head south on 101. Plan on 4-5 days traveling through the Redwoods to sightsee. There are private campgrounds all along the Oregon coast, and the Redwoods in Ca.
Unless you are committed to coming down 101 to Ventura and on home, cut over on Ca hwy 20 by Clearlake, and on to Williams on the I-5, and then south. If you decide to go through the bay area, I suggest stageing so that you do it early, Sun morning.
Obviously, the reverse of this can be done.

As mentioned, we have done a lot of variations on this trip. Been to Crater Lake at least 10 times. Been to the Redwoods at least a dozen. At least half of these trips included both. One trip went all the way to Vancouver Island via Crater Lake,across the Strait of Juan de Fuca at Port Angeles and then back down, going all the way around the Olympic Pen. and 101 going south.
All very great trips. Your kids will remember a long time. Ours do, and now our grand daughters have done at least 5-6 such loops with us.
A trip this distance and all the sightseeing along the way needs 2 weeks at a minimum.

PK,
Thanks for ALL the info. We are planning around 15-16 days. Just sorting out our options.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #7

KZ RV Club
Diamond Lake RV Park is close enough to Crater Lake to be easily accessible, but doesn't cost as much, in our experience. It's a pretty park . . . lots of trees so don't count on satellite! Lots of BUGS, too, in my memory. It's the first park where, when we checked in, the gal there told me that if I didn't have bug repellent that she really wanted to give me some.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rver98 View Post
PK,
Thanks for ALL the info. We are planning around 15-16 days. Just sorting out our options.
When you get closer to a plan, if you want, PM me, and I can give you more details based on what you are planning, inc some campground names.
I don't like driving in real heavy traffic, so we stage at Santa Nella on a Sat afternoon, and then go on the 580 to 101, or alternately on up I-5 past Sacramento on Sun morning. Sacramento is not that bad, but the bay area is, and anytime on the 101 north of San Rafael in the afternoon is heavy. The 580 was in very bad condition in July of 09. Until I know absolutely it has been well repaired, I will cross over on hwy 20 between Williams and the 101 just north of Ukiah. (I am still doing some repairs from damage that trip due to the road.)
The time you are allowing will make for a great trip, enjoy, I don't think there is anywhere you could go in that distance that would match it.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote