Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #15

And this is the reason why we went from tent camping to RV'ing.
We were camping over a long Memorial Day weekend in 2015. It had been unseasonably dry and warm and so there was a complete burn ban, not even propane fire pits.
That weekend turned cold and very wet and being that it was a holiday weekend, no one was available to lift the ban. 5 months later we bought our first RV.
WhatsHisName is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Fire bans happen all summer long in the western states. There's a reason. I'm sure you'll survive.

On a Memorial weekend in May in New Mexico we were the ones who had to call 911 because of a campground fire that quickly spread into many, many acres of forest. The weekenders left after the holiday but one careless person didn't douse the fire completely. It was windy and embers blew onto pine needles and the fire quickly exploded. I happened to be walking by at the time to see the start of it. That campground was closed completely for 6 weeks.
We also saw that in Guadalupe Mountains National Park this Spring.... not too far from Sitting Bull Falls. Campground was burned up and closed. We were turned away.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #17

We carry wood for campfires when allowed, when campfires aren't allowed we use a propane log fire and for when that is not allowed we go to our third fire option. I built a electric fire pit. A 15" bowl with stone logs, red, orange streamers, red, yellow lights and a blower that makes the streamers move like real flames. Ok, not really the same a wood campfire but the granddaughter thought it was fun. Not sure what the camp host though about the electric fire pit.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Use a screen and you'll be good to go.

When there is fire ban in place, that means you can't have a fire, period. Putting a screen over it doesn't change that. Sometimes the ban even extends to charcoal grills.

I like a nice campfire as much as anyone, but I can live without and still feel like I'm camping.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #19

Can't remember the last time I had a Campfire.....
Rather not smell like a fireman fresh out of a fire....

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #20

Agree with Lovin2Camp. Spent a lot of years moutaineering and back-packing and had to have fires to cook and dry out clothes and boots - and then you smell like the back of a fireplace until you really wash everything out.

Did a lot of backpacking in RVN 1966-67 and we never built campfires, it attracted the wrong crowd.
Reed
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #21

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We are headed to Gatlinburg for a few days over Thanksgiving. We were originally headed to Apple valley farms RV resort at Lake Lure NC. Current forest fires are too close, so we're continuing west to Gatlinburg and staying at Twin Creeks RV park.

Fires are banned there too, for obvious reasons, but I wasn't even thinking about that when the I was informed of it while making my reservation. Nothing better than watching a game with a couple cold ones on the outside TV, next to a nice campfire . BUMMER!
130CrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #22

Using any type of device that has an open flame is covered by a burn ban. To ignore it opens one to responsibility for all results.
I remember one guy who built a campfire and didn't get it completely out. It started a forest fire, which, as a member of the local fire dept. got to help extinguish the fire. One of the enforcement officers for DNR found out the mans identity, and drove 60 miles to arrest the man and haul him back to the county jail.
He was found guilty and had to pay for the fire dept expenses and LEO expenses. Then neighbors sued him for burning their property as well.
I can't tell anyone what to do, but I will not take the chance.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Using any type of device that has an open flame is covered by a burn ban. To ignore it opens one to responsibility for all results.
I remember one guy who built a campfire and didn't get it completely out. It started a forest fire, which, as a member of the local fire dept. got to help extinguish the fire. One of the enforcement officers for DNR found out the mans identity, and drove 60 miles to arrest the man and haul him back to the county jail.
He was found guilty and had to pay for the fire dept expenses and LEO expenses. Then neighbors sued him for burning their property as well.
I can't tell anyone what to do, but I will not take the chance.
Two men from out of state failed to completely extinguish their campfire last summer in the mountains northwest of Denver. The fire which ensued took out several homes, and last week they were sentenced to 6 years in jail. It can be a very serious situation when you ignore fire restrictions.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:55 AM   #24

I'm firmly in the "can't be bothered with a fire" group and have been since long before it became ecologically fashionable. Loss of habitat from wood collection, stinking up the air with smoke, having to monitor or extinguish the fire when you go to bed, cleaning up next day, leaving burnt, sterilized patches in the grass etc etc - and as others have mentioned, stinking like an incinerator afterwards. Not only that, but being a dedicated member of the Scrooge clan, paying several dollars for a tiny bag of firewood is way over the top.
Bah, Humbug!!!
Old 11-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #25

hoosierrun - which campground was burned out in Guadalupe NP. We have stayed at Dog Canyon and loved it. When we called from Park HQ to ask about availability, the LEO Ranger at Dog Canyon said "Please come over, it is really lonely here!" No cell phone connection etc and quite peaceful. We plan to go again if it was not burned out.

Tony Lee - we are with you on "bah humbug". We would rather sit about and watch the stars and planets. And it is illegal in a lot of National Forests to bring wood for fear of spreading insect pests such as the Mountain Pine Beetle and Spruce Bug. Animals come closer if you do not have a fire

Loved campfires when I was a lot younger and an active climber and backpacker. This is how you cooked and dried out your clothes and water-soaked boots.

Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I love campfires; always have. The site, the sound, yes even the smell. For those times when a burn ban is in place, I use a propane fire pit. No smell or sound, but close, and better than nothing. I haven't been subject to a burn ban that also applied to propane, but I have read about others that have. I guess in those cases you also can't BBQ dinner on a propane grille, either? After all, there's really no difference between a propane grille and a propane fire pit; neither produces any sparks and both can immediately be turned off.
4x4van is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #27

We've been using a propane fire pit lately. With the drought in California, campfires area thing of the past. We mostly boondock. We've never had a problem with it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bond-18-5-i...e-Pit/50037272
Old 11-22-2016, 06:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
hoosierrun - which campground was burned out in Guadalupe NP. We have stayed at Dog Canyon and loved it. When we called from Park HQ to ask about availability, the LEO Ranger at Dog Canyon said "Please come over, it is really lonely here!" No cell phone connection etc and quite peaceful. We plan to go again if it was not burned out.

Tony Lee - we are with you on "bah humbug". We would rather sit about and watch the stars and planets. And it is illegal in a lot of National Forests to bring wood for fear of spreading insect pests such as the Mountain Pine Beetle and Spruce Bug. Animals come closer if you do not have a fire

Loved campfires when I was a lot younger and an active climber and backpacker. This is how you cooked and dried out your clothes and water-soaked boots.

Reed and Elaine
Reed, It was Dog Canyon campsite that was on fire. We took the long drive down there and had to turn around. I had really wanted to hike up the mountain the next day, but it will have to happen another time. Here is a picture of what we saw as we drove down the long road. Initially it didn't dawn on me that this was smoke, not weather clouds. Anyhow, the fire fighter brigades and Navajo hotspot teams were on the job 24 hours a day. This was in May this year (2016). Hopefully things are back closer to normal now.

Tags
fire