Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We usually start with either Garmin GPS routing, or MS Streets & Trips, then as other have suggested we look at what Trip-Advisor.com has for states/towns along the route. TA does have campground reviews as well as places to see and things to do. Sometimes we will adjust either the route, where we overnight, or how long we stay to see or do what looks interesting.

We did not go all the way to Niagra Falls, but did route through IND-OH-NY (as far as Westfield, Jamestown, Lake Chatauqua area). We stayed a few nights at the KOA Westfield NY and will stay again soon. This KOA is a smaller park, but is very close to Lake Erie, nice owners, not a "fancy" park but all utilities worked fine, spaces were adequate and mostly level gravel sites. Jamestown and Lake Chatauqua have many historical connections and made nice day-trips from the KOA in Westfield. The year we went the Tall Ships had been in port at nearby Erie, PA but our schedule was a week or two later than Tall Ships route there. Again, from the KOA in Westfield, it was short trip W on I-90 to Erie, PA where we really enjoyed the Maritime Museum, and that is where Tall Ships come when making their spring & fall routing.

In Ohio, same trip, we chose to overnight at the Cleveland (south?) KOA. This is an EZ on/off I-90, adequate for that purpose, gated access for security, but swiming is in the pond (no pool). Friendly staff, space and utilities were fine. We will stay overnight stops there again.

You didn't say if you will have children with you? You didn't say if you like to go fishing or other hobbies along the way during RV park stays? But, if you have children along, you might choose to stay in the Erie, PA Rv parks for more child-oriented RV parks (jumping pillows, go carts, spash pools etc).

You also didn't say how much total time you have available for your round trip? We chose a route through central, via I-65 to I-70 E out of Indpls, then N on I-71 at Columbus, OH, which linked up nicely to I-90 in Cleveland, OH, and into NY state. We chose to spend some just overnites, and other places we stopped for 3-7 days to sight-see local areas. We did have a month-long window for that trip which allowed us to plan for some longer stays going and coming along the route.

Best wishes for your trip! Getting there is the necessary....seeing and doing what you enjoy along the way is the icing on top

Safe travels to all

BeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #16
Can't help with the route because my way south is the Rt-15/I-95 corridor. Once you get into the falls area pick a spot for a few days and use a towed or rental around the falls area. The Canadian side has more stuff but I would be cautious about crossing with the MH just because of the possible border hassle. Once there you can ride the boats from either side, get under the falls on walking tours from either side, watch the lights from the Canadian side, gamble on both sides, see interesting museums on both sides, etc. Add a run up to Niagara on the Lake and maybe take in a play. Visit the forts if you are into revolutionary war history. Not sure what they let you into at the Moses power project but it was free the last time I was there. The real point is that the area has been a tourist attraction for 400 years. If you want it somebody is trying to sell it to you. It also has a lot of history. The City of Niagara Falls is also a good example of post Industrial blight as most of their industry left for various reasons.

FWIW since you are coming up from Florida also be aware that NY has draconian gun laws. The Canadians are worse. Possession is jail time.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #17
Thanks for the help
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #18
We stayed at saras campground in presque isle. Its 2 hours from niagara falls. We have a 30' fw and the spots were a bit tight but otherwise nice.
fishinjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
3 days from your 1st post is not that long to wait for a response, especially when members are trying to help with not knowing your interests.

For OH, I'm going to guess you'll pass near the Streetsboro KOA (aka Cleveland SE). If that works for a couple days stay, you've got the Rock and Roll HoF, Cuyahoga Valley NP & Scenic RR, Pro Football HoF, National Inventors HoF, Great Lakes Science Center, 2 Zoos (Cleveland/Akron), Fannie May Chocolate Factory....the list goes on & on.

For KY, all the places Tom mentioned in post #2 we've been to & would recommend. Part of the Bourbon Trail runs through there...check out the local distilleries, Maker's Mark, Heaven Hill...etc.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
I saw your first request and didn't jump at answering because of all the details you left out. Interests? Kids? Route?

Going from Florida to Niagara Falls I'd look at I-75 with a side trip to a TVA lake or two, Great Smoky National Park, Natural Bridge SP in Ky (Red River Gorge area) perhaps Cumberland Gap, etc. Google interesting places along the route of your choice and set your own itinerary, after all, you're driving it!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A great campground off i-71 Medina, Pier-Lon park. Google it.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #22
Originally Posted by gthunts View Post
Planning a trip this summer to Niagara Falls from N. Fl. Looking at taking I-65, I-71, and I-90. Looks like my driving distance stops will be around Decatur, AL., Louisville, KY., Akron, OH. and then Niagara area. Any campground suggestions on this route would be appreciated. Also suggested "must see" places. We prefer full hook ups but will give up some convenience for scenery. We usually like to stay in a campground a couple of nights before moving on and see local attractions. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Lousiville Metro KOA is actually in Carksville, IN., which is at exit 1 on I 65. Just a few blocks prior to arriving at this KOA is Tom Stinnet RV sales.
An option to staying in Decatur, AL is to stay at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center campground at Huntsville. That's about 30 miles East of I 65, but lots to see there. If you just want an easy off/on from I 65- CG, I usually stay at Northgate RV Travel Park at Athens, AL.

If you would rather not cross the bridge into Indiana, you may also stay at Louisville South KOA, which is at exit 117 on I 65 on the South side of the city, near Churchill downs and the KY expo center.
With all the ongoing road construction on the North side, I would recommend the KOA South of the city.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #23
We stayed at Niagara Falls/Grand Island NY KOA, August 2014. The park is nice, but very large and the sites are close together (as with most CG's in that area). They have good cable and terrible wifi. We paid $62/nt. We did Canadian side Bedore Tour of Niagara Falls for $89/pp with pickup at KOA at 11am and return at 0430pm.

We are fulltimers so I still need my big city fix every now and then. Close to Buffalo for shopping and Anchor Bar and restaurant (original home of Buffalo Wings).

Longhorn Fan is offline   Reply With Quote