Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

N. Florida to Niagara Falls

Planning a trip this summer to Niagara Falls from N. Fl. Looking at taking I-65, I-71, and I-90. Looks like my driving distance stops will be around Decatur, AL., Louisville, KY., Akron, OH. and then Niagara area. Any campground suggestions on this route would be appreciated. Also suggested "must see" places. We prefer full hook ups but will give up some convenience for scenery. We usually like to stay in a campground a couple of nights before moving on and see local attractions. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Louisville area has a ton of places to see. We've enjoyed the Louisville Slugger factory, the Corvette factory down in Bowling Green, Mammoth Cave, tank museum at Ft. Knox, etc.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #3

No one willing to help with suggestions for my trip?

I recently posted travel plans for a trip this summer from N. Florida to Niagara Falls and asked for suggestions for campgrounds and must see areas. I had one response (thanks). Surely some others have had experience along this route. I am planning on stopping near Decatur AL., Louisville KY., and Akron OH before reaching Niagara. Any help on campground info or sites to see would be appreciated
Old 03-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #4

Having never done that trip I can't help. I hope someone can help you with this routeing. If you are a Good Sam, or FMCA member they have a service that you can use.
Good luck and Happy Trails!!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #5

Sorry I have never done it either, hopefully someone will come along and help.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:27 PM   #6

Kentucky Horse Park is a nice place in Lexington.

http://kyhorsepark.com/
Old 03-27-2015, 10:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure about the other stops, but near Louisville KY... we have stayed several times at the Louisville Metro KOA and really like it. It is actually located across the river in Indiana.. 900 Marriort Dr., Clarskville, In 47129 812-282-4474 It is a small park but it handles our 42' Monaco just fine. It is also a busy park so make reservations!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are many here that would help you if they could. I really don't go east of the divide. Never been to the east coast. Get a Good Sam RV Travel Guide. Mapquest has CG info. The Net is a big place. Good luck and have fun.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:52 PM   #9

Put RVPARKY app into your smartphone and check it out, great app for travelers.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:58 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never been east of the Mississippi so can't help.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthunts View Post
I recently posted travel plans for a trip this summer from N. Florida to Niagara Falls and asked for suggestions for campgrounds and must see areas. I had one response (thanks). Surely some others have had experience along this route. I am planning on stopping near Decatur AL., Louisville KY., and Akron OH before reaching Niagara. Any help on campground info or sites to see would be appreciated

There is a city/county park in Decatur called Mallard Point which is nice and reasonably accessible. If you go a few miles east to Huntsville there is a small campground at the Space Center there.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:41 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
It may help if you gave us a bit more information such as a preferred route and how far you plan to travel each day as well as any specific interests. Otherwise the variables are exponential.

Put the two end points in your GPS and see what route it takes you on. Then figure out approximately how far you want to travel each day. Do a POI search near each point for campgrounds.

Alternately when you figure out the stopping points ask if there are any campgrounds near that are recommended.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Along or near your described route you have Pensacola, Montgomery, Selma, Birmingham, Huntsville, Nashville, Bowling Green, Louisville, Dayton, and Akron. Military, Cultural History, Space, Music, Automotive, Horses, Sports, Aviation. Take your pick. If you don't know why these places ought to be interesting, Google is your friend.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm not an expert on the area, but we spent a week near Frankfort last summer since it's central to Louisville and Lexington. So we were not impressed with Louisville but really enjoyed the country and horse farm area around Lexington. We didn't visit the Lexington Horse Park as many recommend, but got a map showing many of the horse farms in the area and spent a day driving the back roads. Hard to believe some of the money put into those so called "barns"! And don't be afraid to take some of the backroads in your toad.. a couple of little one lane blacktop roads had pull outs where you can view some of the farms. There are plenty of distillery tours to be taken as well.

If you are an FMCA member you can stay free a couple of nights at the FMCA HQ in Cincinnati if thats on your route. While we were in Cinci. we enjoyed a day loop drive down the Ohio River Scenic Byway with a stop in Rising Sun Indiania. Very nice day use park area with picnic facilities right on the river. Then crossed back into KY to head back to Cinci.

Plenty of good food and a nice river front area in Cincinnati OH and Newport KY. The river front areas of both cities are connected by an old rail bridge that has been converted to a pedestrian bridge. We found a couple of good restaurants along the river in Newport with views overlooking the river and the Cinci skyline.

Hope this helps some. Maybe others with more experience in the area can chime in.

Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida