Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #15

Glad I brought this up. We are back from our two + months trip around the West, and I still stand by my original position. I think most pet owners follow the rules.
But for those who don't, think about what was said here. No one likes to step in you-know-what. Lets be considerate of each other, and remember that we are all out here to have a pleasent experience. And that depends of the actions of each other. Thanks for your input.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2006, 11:47 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
This topic will always provoke great emotions for both pet owners and non-pet owners! I think it's one of those discussions that will never come to a satisfactory resolution.

I, for one, am a very responsible pet owner and believe everyone who owns a pet has the RESPONSIBILITY to clean up after it.

I have two Shelties and regularly go out in my own back yard on patrol to clean up their "deposits". I would not want anyone to walk around in my back yard otherwise....I don't want to walk around my back yard stepping on "land mines". Why should I be less considerate because a campground isn't my personal property!

Nonetheless, I've said all that to say this....there are times when my puppy gets me up in the middle of the night.. .I'm in my nightclothes, no glasses on.I can't see past my nose...it's pitch black out here...where's the flashlight? Needless to say..I've forgotten to stop by the drawer and pick up a plastic baggie....I'm lucky to get out the door and down the steps in time!!!

We all get caught in "circumstances" where we aren't prepared...however I ALWAYS go back in the light of day to retrieve my pet's prized deposit.

I do agree with many of you though that there are those who could care less. For every rule, there is an infraction.

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:05 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
My darlings have been known to leave surprises when I least expect it. I used to forget to carry plastic baggies sometimes but I camped next to a lady who showed me the solution. I have a retractable leash and at Petsmart there is a "baggie" bag that fits over it so I will always have bags with me. You stuff plastic bags in both sides so you should always have one handy.

Another solution was to have a supply of bags either right by the camper door or outside in the first compartment by the door so they are easy to reach. Vegetable bags are the perfect size. I bought two rolls from a grocery store closeout at a garage sale - they should last me forever.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #18

You know what my opinion is from my previous post, and all I can say is I hope the next pet owner I camp next to, is one of you. I know that those of you who are considerate of non-pet owners suffer the greatest burden of reducing the restrictions, encouraged by misbehavior of the irresponsible, which are becoming more and more common in campgrounds. Thank you all for your consideration and perhaps we can ALL, who care, educate, or at least intimidate (encourage, I suppose I should say because it is more friendly) those who do not feel they should shoulder this small burden of responsibility for the privilege, or honor, of the devotion and unchallenged love of their pet.
we_rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:08 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pet owners are just part of the problem. There are the "clods" that leave their trash in the site, dump cigarette buts in the grill or fire ring along with other trash, play loud music and think the whole campground is to bow to their preferences. Peole need to realize that this planet is occupied by a lot more people than their little immediate group and a lot of them do not care for the boorish behavior that the neighbors might be enjoying.

Just remember that you are not alone in this world and neeed to show some consideration for others.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:12 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I always carry a couple extra bags with me when I walk my dog. If I should happen to see someone that has failed to pick up after their dog. I will approach them and remark that I see that you have forgotten to bring your bag with you. I then give them one of the extra ones that I carry with me.
Most of the time they will thank me and take the bag and clean up after their dog. Only a few have got nasty. And at that point I know exactly what kind of person they are.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:48 AM   #21

We use "Bags on Board" on our leashes. They are wonderful because you never forget your bags. We travel with 3 Rat Terriers and boy does that save us money on NOT paying boarding costs! Pick up the poopie....I think that these unfortunate rules started because of those that don't.
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:29 AM   #22

We have found sandwich bags work for us and our two small dogs.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:13 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluewind:
We have found sandwich bags work for us and our two small dogs.
While a sandwich bag might work for a small dog, I've found for me a larger bag is necessary . . .

(just kidding )
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #24

This topic reminded me of another very un-pet-friendly park in Colorado. A few years ago my sister and brother-in-law tried to stay at Spruce Lake RV Park in Estes Park. After being told that it was fine to have a dog in the campground, with the usual rules, and having paid for their stay, they were told that they would have to carry their dog to the designated potty spot. They explained that they had a 100 lb golden retriever, but that he was obedience-trained, even offered to pay a deposit, but none of this mattered. They had to argue to get their money back, and as they left, saw someone taking their dog to potty in a child's wagon. Now THAT's what I call non pet friendly.
They went up the road to a lovely place called Mary's Lake where all members of the family were made to feel welcome.
Callie 1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #25

You can go to the dollar store and get disposable bags made for diapers but work just as well and has a baby powder smell. When we run out of doggie doo doo bags we resort to those.
pug_lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:23 AM   #26

Having a designated doggie walk area is not pet unfriendly,it is people and kid friendly.Noone seems to think the urine in the grass is a problem.More than once I have had to rinse urine off my power cord and hose.I guess to pet owners that is OK.Again the good guy suffering for the actions of the bad guy.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:16 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Bob,

I think the requirement to carry the dog to the walk area was what the poster was referring to as being "over the top". It's perfectly reasonable to short-leash the dog so that it stays in the roadway(s) between the RV and the walk area without violating anyone else's site. Physically carrying a 100+ pound dog to the walk area isn't quite so reasonable.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #28

RustyJC

That was a different poster.Callie was the one that required the carrying.That is a little excessive.I'm not anti pet, I just don't like smelling or stepping on landmines.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote