Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #1

Nor. Cal lake, camp on shore

looking for a camping spot for 32' rv on shore of either Whiskey town lake , Trinity, or lake shasta. Would like to be able to anchor my boat overnight in front of my rv. Any ideas?
turnkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV's
jimpattigeib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #3

Well i can tell you your not going to find what your looking for at any California lakes if i'm understanding you correctly. Between the Sierra Club, local environmenalists and general federal rules, shore camping is non-existent here anymore. I've been to many lakes in Cali from north to south as we're avid boaters/campers. Everyone requires you stay in a designated campsites only.

Whiskeytown has a few RV sites, dry camping only, a bit of a walk to the swim/beach area. You can anchor at the tent camp areas but you won't see it at all. They are so strict there that you can't even drive to a tent site, walk-in only with all your crap! The lake is very small and gets real windy in the afternoons there.

Shasta only actually has a few campgrounds that can accomdate you anywhere near the shoreline and none that i'm aware of let you shore anchor where you can actually see the boat. Been there about six times I think and there are a few areas that will allow you to pull near the water for dry camping only but that's only when the waters down quite aways and it's steep shoreline. The only one i was actually able to be anywhere the boat and shore anchor was Hirz Bay group area campground and even that was a walk.

Trinity Lake has numerous campgrounds but only two if i remember for RV's, Pinewood Resort or the KOA, neither will have shore anchoring if i remember, actually the KOA is nowhere near water.

And that's pretty much the reason we frequent the Central valley lakes, mostly Hogan Lake and Don Pedro as we can get pretty close to the water and see the boat, although dry camping only at Hogan and the water flucuates. Pedro does have a full hookup RV (and usually has high water) area but the boat will be aways off to the shoreline depending on water levels. Off course it all depends on how much rain we get in a season too.

Being a boater too I understand the reasons why but your gonna be hard pressed to find what you want in that immediate region. Not saying it's not possible at those lakes but I've never seen it.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #4

if you don't mind changing lakes the lake cove resort and marina near chester ,ca
is on lake almanor . it has it's own docks and rv sites right on the water a big beautiful
lake that is hidden gem.we stayed there last year and plan to this year time permitting
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #5

sounds like a fit for us do you know if waterskiing is allowed? any fav campsites? thanks a bunch for the reply
turnkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
if you don't mind changing lakes the lake cove resort and marina near chester ,ca
is on lake almanor . it has it's own docks and rv sites right on the water a big beautiful
lake that is hidden gem.we stayed there last year and plan to this year time permitting
DARN YOU, Why would you tell him about my secret paradise Lake Almanor. My wife and I camp there almost every year and hope someday to retire and move there permenatly.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote