Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 06:00 AM   #1

North Carolina suggestions

Looks like we will be on the road the first week of June and are thinking of traveling to Emerald Isle to visit a friend. Traveling with two dogs in a 25' TT. Any suggestions on camping in the area? Or camping along the way from southeast Ohio?
Kdjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #2

Perhaps I should add that we prefer not to camp close enough to be able to hear what our neighbors are watching on TV or discussing at the dinner table. It is better when camping with the dogs to have a little space between sites.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdjay View Post
Looks like we will be on the road the first week of June and are thinking of traveling to Emerald Isle to visit a friend. Traveling with two dogs in a 25' TT. Any suggestions on camping in the area? Or camping along the way from southeast Ohio?
If you end up traveling down I77 from its intersection with I81, I recommend a stop in Mt Airy at the Mayberry campground. Mt Airy was The inspiration for Mayberry and is fun to see. Lunch at the Snappy Lunch will transport you back to the 1950s. The campground is very well kept.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #4

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Perhaps I should add that we prefer not to camp close enough to be able to hear what our neighbors are watching on TV or discussing at the dinner table. It is better when camping with the dogs to have a little space between sites.
We had stayed at White Oak Shores campground about 10-12 miles north of emerald isle. large open sites, plenty of space to walk dogs. we also take our dog. friendly. There are campgrounds closer to emerald island, but crowded. Just a suggestion. safe travels.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
If you end up traveling down I77 from its intersection with I81, I recommend a stop in Mt Airy at the Mayberry campground. Mt Airy was The inspiration for Mayberry and is fun to see. Lunch at the Snappy Lunch will transport you back to the 1950s. The campground is very well kept.
I agree, we have stayed there a few times passing through and decided to stay over a couple of nights to visit My. Airy, Pilot Mountain, and a local winery. If I recall correctly they accept Passport America. The Andy Griffith museum is also pretty cool to see if you are a fan of the series. If staying near I81 in the Marion Virginia area, Hungry Mother State Park is nice as well.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #6

Have you ever stayed in the National Park near there?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Have you ever stayed in the National Park near there?
Do you already have a planned route and limited time or are you planning to take your time. I used to really enjoy the campgrounds along the Blue Ridge Parkway but the Park Service was forced to close most of the campgrounds due to budget cuts but a few are still open - lots of climbing. All of the state parks in Virginia are nice in my opinion and if you are going to be traveling I85 North Bend Campground near South Hill Virginia is a nice place and lots of sites. There are many campgrounds in the Gatlinburg Tennessee area and the federal campgrounds are nice but a little crowded.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #8

Carolina Campers
Not sure how far you want to be away from Emerald Isle but Cedar Point is a campground in the area that get's good reviews. Here's a link:

National Forests in North Carolina - Cedar Point Campground

It's about 15 mins from Emerald Isle. We've not camped there yet but it's on our list of must visits. There are a couple more Commercial Campgrounds in the area but based on your post didn't think they would make the cut for you.

Enjoy our state and spend lots of $$$$$ We love those tourist dollars!!!
skstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #9

Catch14me - we have not planned our route yet but probably only have 7-10 days for the trip. Usually, we head north to Michigan, but thought a different direction would be a nice change of pace. The only place we have in mind would be to spend a day visiting our friend on Emerald Island..or maybe two.... Looking forward to learning about a new part of the country. My husband is a big Andy Griffith fan and stopping to visit Mayberry would be fun, but having the dogs with us will limit that a bit. Museums and dogs don't equate well. The dogs are new campers and aren't quite ready to be alone in the TT, but we are working on it. I will not leave them to bark and bother the neighbors. Not my style!

Some trout fishing would be great too.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #10

Skstrickland -I thought about stopping there. The site has me confused as to whether reservations can be made or not. The website says yes, but going to the reservation site I get a return that there are no available sites.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #11

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryn View Post
We had stayed at White Oak Shores campground about 10-12 miles north of emerald isle. large open sites, plenty of space to walk dogs. we also take our dog. friendly. There are campgrounds closer to emerald island, but crowded. Just a suggestion. safe travels.

X2 We stay at White Oak shores frequently with two dogs. Great family owned and run campground. Clean facilities and a very nice pool.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #12

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Skstrickland -I thought about stopping there. The site has me confused as to whether reservations can be made or not. The website says yes, but going to the reservation site I get a return that there are no available sites.
hey kdjay, did u try recreation.gov? You may want to call the campground. They might can help.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
skstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #13

Thanks again for all the great suggestion...after all my planning, DH has decided he would like to stay closer to Ohio...like Kentucky and Tennessee. And he wonders why I don't leave the vacation planning up to him...if I did, I think we would be sleeping in the driveway a lot :-)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
what part of ohio are you from I see you say s.e I from mich and live in n.c been here 10 yrs not sure what way you are traveling I may be of some help if you would like.there are some great parks here if you want PM me will talk
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote