Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

North to Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper from So. Cal.

Leaving Big Bear Lake via the I15 to visit Missoula then on to Glacier NP to Kootenay for 1 night, Bannf for 3 nights, Lake Louise for 3 nights and then to Jasper for 3 nights. From Jasper we will return through the Kootenay Lakes area of BC to Bose and back down to Big Bear. We have made reservations in Canada through their NP website reservation system but none on the way north or on the way back. Missoula is 1200+ miles so we are planning 3 to 4 days. Up and back. We have solar, inverter etc and are pretty self sufficient.

I'm not sure how far I can drive each day on the way up and back so no firm plans other than the national park reservations. So any suggestions for places to stay on these nights, no to Wallymart but boondocking would be fine, primitive campgrounds or even small private campgrounds. Any gems someone knows of?

Next year we r going up the coast to BC.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	lake louise.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	92357

Man I envy you! I loved that trip and it is gorgeous! Enjoy every minute of it and Lake Louise is beautiful!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #3

Forest...,you are so lucky as Travel Alberta and Parks Canada just completed their major maintenance project on the lake bottom for Lake Louise....

http://media.travelalberta.com/press...rta-canada.htm
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #4

I was last there about 15 years ago and what I remember most about Lake Louise was the typical glacier cloudy bluish water. We r looking forward to spending 11 days at the 4 different areas of the park. I wondered where that blue came from.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #5

We were considering a less traditional colour, like Aubergine, but public opinion won out, enjoy your trip.

My great grandpa painted Lake Louise shortly after the Canada US war of 1814 (we won), so I joined up for the latest paint job. I've done a few rivers too, but don't like it because of the current.
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydeglyde View Post
We were considering a less traditional colour, like Aubergine, but public opinion won out, enjoy your trip.

My great grandpa painted Lake Louise shortly after the Canada US war of 1814 (we won), so I joined up for the latest paint job. I've done a few rivers too, but don't like it because of the current.
That is awesome! Do you have a pic of the painting you can show us? or a painting of the painting.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #7

We could have used ur water that u drained out of it in order to paint it.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Forest...,you are so lucky as Travel Alberta and Parks Canada just completed their major maintenance project on the lake bottom for Lake Louise....

Alberta residents celebrate the Centennial painting of the bottom of Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies | TravelAlberta Newsroom

That's a great post Jack, but I wonder how many might actually believe it. (Note the April 1 date of the article.)

The turquoise colour is caused by "rock flour"; fine particles of rock ground up by the glacier.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Greeny Lake, BC Off 97 just North of 100 Mile House. Pit toilets only. Go in empty holding tanks and full water. Can catch trout from shore sometimes if you throw the right kind of shiny stuff at them.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:00 PM   #10

North to Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper from So. Cal.

It's true I know it's true, Alberta wouldn't lie! Canada won the war of 1814 too.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We did that trip last year. We stayed at provincial parks-5 days without electric- no problems.

We got water & dumped at the provincial parks. Our little Winnebago View has an inverter, we only fired up the generator to make coffee and nuke veggies at night. We charged our devices as we drove or as the gen ran.

If you do not need AC , It is pretty easy to be self sufficient.

Have a ball-we did!
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have a great trip up there. Remember most campgrounds will exchange USD$ at par for Canadian Tire money. No loss in exchange!
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
We did that trip last year. We stayed at provincial parks-5 days without electric- no problems.

We got water & dumped at the provincial parks. Our little Winnebago View has an inverter, we only fired up the generator to make coffee and nuke veggies at night. We charged our devices as we drove or as the gen ran.

If you do not need AC , It is pretty easy to be self sufficient.

Have a ball-we did!

We have a 3,000 watt inverter along with 480 watts of solar so we hope to just enjoy enjoy and enjoy some more. I was wondering about dollars. I know we will need a couple of passes too.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
lucky dog
i went to Bannf back in 1983

absolutely gorgeous

moose everywhere
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote