Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Northeastern Trip

We are leaving Sept 10 crossing to Winsor, and going to Quebec, then on to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, back to Maine working our way back to Mi. We're thinking 3 weeks to a month to not be rushed. We were told some of the RV parks may be closing for the season. I thougt that sounded early,thinking fall colors in Oct?? Hoping for some input from folks that are familuar with the areas. Would also appreciate hearing about must see places.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most NE private parks close somewhere around Columbus Day weekend in mid October. State parks may close earlier. You just need to check a campground guide book. It is a wonderful time to visit the Northeast. Travel Safe.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
We are leaving Sept 10 crossing to Winsor, and going to Quebec, then on to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, back to Maine working our way back to Mi. We're thinking 3 weeks to a month to not be rushed. We were told some of the RV parks may be closing for the season. I thougt that sounded early,thinking fall colors in Oct?? Hoping for some input from folks that are familuar with the areas. Would also appreciate hearing about must see places.
The state of Maine has several excellant web sites that promotes places and events. There is one that covers the fall color changes only and is updated daily.

True, many campgrounds close mid October so you may want to confirm your destinations ahead of time.

Please do visit "VACATIONLAND", I'm sure you will not be disapointed. If I can help feel free to PM at any time.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Maine Vermont and New Hampshire a week before and after Columbus Day weekend is a good bet. Don't forget to check out Fundy National Park in New Brunswick, other nice places with good scenery is The Moorings Oceanfront Campground in Belfast Maine, Rogers Campground In Lancaster NH, and Lake Champagne Campground In Randolph Center Vermont. All these are previewed on this web site in the campground section.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you want and your trip takes you to NH during the fall season, there are campgrounds open year round. One that comes to mind is Danforth Bay campground, in it is located in Freedom NH, on a lake and is full service [propane, store, canoe rentals etc.] It is big rig friendly, cable, laundry, a great place to visit. Close, to Conway, North Conway and to the NH White Mountains as well. Not a disappointing campground to visit. Safe and trouble free travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #6

Seems like a lot of ground to cover in one trip..... We just spent two weeks hking and biking in Acadia National Park in Maine we'd highly recommend a stop there. If you are members of Passport America you can get 50% off at Mount Desset Narrows, it was a nice CG as a base for exploring the area.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you all for all your shared information! We haven't been Northeast for several years. Looking forward we can't wait to enjoy the wonderful seafood of the area. Plus all the rest the area has to offer!

Equinox Toad
Old 08-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are only three weeks from heading out. We have decided to enter Canada from upstate NY probably crossing at Cornwall. When leaving Quebec city we will enter Maine and drive to Calais, to do NB and Nova Scotia. Then returning going down the Maine coast ! We have notified our credit card co. was a little suprised that visa adds 3% to anything charged while in Canada,MC does not. We also called Verizon. We are buying health ins so we will be covered while visiting Canada just incase. Another week we'll get the roadhouse home so we can start loading! Still looking for more suggestions!

Equinox Toad
Old 02-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
We are only three weeks from heading out. We have decided to enter Canada from upstate NY probably crossing at Cornwall. When leaving Quebec city we will enter Maine and drive to Calais, to do NB and Nova Scotia. Then returning going down the Maine coast ! We have notified our credit card co. was a little suprised that visa adds 3% to anything charged while in Canada,MC does not. We also called Verizon. We are buying health ins so we will be covered while visiting Canada just incase. Another week we'll get the roadhouse home so we can start loading! Still looking for more suggestions!
I know this is an old post but we are leaving Fort Worth aug2nd, NY aug 27th. We have 4 weeks to do Quebec, NH, and Nova Scotia and would like some help in setting the plan.
I know nothing of the North East. Currently a blank canvas as far as planning goes
Old 02-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry we didn't go into Canada. We enjoyed the finger lakes, upstate NY, Vermont, NH. Me, and returned home via Wellsboro Pa. and Amish country Berlin Ohio. Our friends we were traveling with had a health issue that kept us state side. We are hoping to travel Canada in the near future. Like mentioned you need to check on insurance and credit cards in advance. We also have passports, for crossing over the border! We really enjoyed the Maine coast-- and of course the fresh sea food !

Equinox Toad
Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
That's a shame

I have planned our return Boston, Berlin, Louisville KY, Fort Worth.
There are questions re the loop New York , Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Moncton, Prince Edward Island, Halifax, then hwy 1 saint stephen hwy 9 to Bangor , Boston.
I have read the roads are crook, the campground reviews I've read are pretty "average"
I don't want to waste 3000 miles if its not going to be memorable in a good way.
I can't imagine it not being incredible country but I don't see a lot written about it
Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
That's a shame

I have planned our return Boston, Berlin, Louisville KY, Fort Worth.
There are questions re the loop New York , Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Moncton, Prince Edward Island, Halifax, then hwy 1 saint stephen hwy 9 to Bangor , Boston.
I have read the roads are crook, the campground reviews I've read are pretty "average"
I don't want to waste 3000 miles if its not going to be memorable in a good way.
I can't imagine it not being incredible country but I don't see a lot written about it
We spent about 7 weeks in that area last Aug and Sept. Some of the roads could have been better, some of the campgrounds may not win a blue ribbon.(some would) The trip was great and I would return again! 7 weeks allows you to hit the hot spots. Just not enough time. Would have loved to take the ferry to Labrador/Newfoundland but having three weeks minimum to allow for a good look was not available to us. Go the roads are as good as what you find everywhere!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #13

Been to the east coast from Ontario twice in the last four years and this year we are going to Newfoundland. Some the things we liked were; great churches in Montreal (open to public to view architechure), fort at Quebec City, Hopewell rocks in New Brunswick, high tides and tidal bores in Bay of Fundy, Museums in Halifax, Peggys cove, Lunenburg, Cabot trail in Cape Breton (breathtaking drive, best done in toad or rental car, not motorhome) PEI was pretty with beaches. If you like seafood you are in for a treat. If passing Toronto area Niagara Falls is a must see for sure. I absolutely love the east coast. The scenery is great and the people are amongst the most friendly you will ever meet. have fun
Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Great

I'm getting enthusiastic about the journey north of New York
Ill add both responses to my Itinerary.
Thank you both.