Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

Northern AZ & NM in the summer, too hot?

We are heading to just south of Dallas TX from Ohio in mid-June this year and planned on see some of the natural wonders in Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado after Texas. We started making plans, then the question can up, "How hot is it going to be?"

We are going to see the outdoors, so we plan on being outside a lot. Most of the places we'd like to see are in mountain areas, so it should be cooler. right?

I'm just starting to wonder if it would be better to head north to Yellowstone in WY or something instead.

What's your opinion?

FYI: Places we'd like to see:
Monument Valley
Antelope Canyon
Valley of Fire
Grand Canyon
Shiprock
Taos Pueblo
Garden of the Gods
Arches National Park
Coyote Buttes
Antelope Island
Bryce Canyon
Zion National Park
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #2

I spend most of my summer in and around Flagstaff. The weather is great! If you have a toad you can visit tons of places on day trips in the area. You will love it.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I live in Santa Fe, NM and have lived in the mountain west for most of 65 years.
Arches NP in June will likely be oven like
Grand Canyon will be good, the North Rim is cooler than the South Rim, both should be nice at that time.
I'm not sure which Valley of Fores you're referring to: New Mexico's will be warm to hot, perhaps in the 90's; the one in Nevada will be much hotter I think.
Some parts of Yellowstone do not open until July due to snow, other are open, but nice.
In New Mexico, the southern areas at lower elevations will be in the upper 90's, the mountains are much cooler. But its dry heat. In northern New Mexico (Santa Fe, Taos) expect expect temps in 80 -low 90's, nights in the 60-70's. Humidity here can get as low as 6 - 10% at that time, very dry.
Colorado areas, similar to northern NM, just a little cooler in most parts.

I'd just get on-line and Google for annual temps in these places. Just a rule-of-thumb, for every 1,000 ft elevation gain the temperature will drop about 3 degrees.

If you can stand the Texas temps at that time "most" of the southwest will be fine, Death Valley and area being the big exception.

Enjoy your travels and be safe.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBounder View Post
We are heading to just south of Dallas TX from Ohio in mid-June this year and planned on see some of the natural wonders in Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado after Texas. We started making plans, then the question can up, "How hot is it going to be?"

We are going to see the outdoors, so we plan on being outside a lot. Most of the places we'd like to see are in mountain areas, so it should be cooler. right?

I'm just starting to wonder if it would be better to head north to Yellowstone in WY or something instead.

What's your opinion?

FYI: Places we'd like to see:
Monument Valley
Antelope Canyon
Valley of Fire
Grand Canyon
Shiprock
Taos Pueblo
Garden of the Gods
Arches National Park
Coyote Buttes
Antelope Island
Bryce Canyon
Zion National Park
Elevation is your friend. There are many places in NM, AZ, UT at or above 7000'. Red River / Angel Fire for one. Bryce will be nice. Lower elevations Monument, Antelope, etc., could be very hot in June. Getting there from Texas will be hot too.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #5

All those places will seem cooler than the Dallas area! Even Yellowstone can have hot days. The nights in all those places will be very pleasant. If you plan to do any hiking then start off early morning.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I spent three weeks in Williams (AZ) and Santa Fe last summer, July- Aug. I ran my A/C once. Wound up using my heat pumps more then the A/C.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd suggest going to see the places you listed and if it gets too hot head north.

We live where triple digits occur everyday for a couple months but it's a dry heat, usually 10 to 15% humidity. I don't turn on my car air conditioner until it's about 95 to 100. You get used to it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #8

Thanks all. I think I was worried over nothing then.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #9

We were in that area last year in mid June. We drove down from Durango through the 4 corners and then across AZ to Page, AZ and then to Hurricane UT. I don't mind the heat, since it is dry. But we arrived there right before there were "deadly heat warnings" throughout the SW.

AND...our A/C would not work because we had generator issues so while the MH was in route, we were HOT and cranky. And we had our severely handicapped little girl and our dog with us and the heat warnings just scared the heck out of us. So our trip in that area was quickly modified and we headed to SLC area (to get our generator worked on) before the heat started.

I wouldn't necessarily be worried about traveling during that time though.

2002 F250 Diesel
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:50 PM   #10

I'd recommend Red River, NM for a few days. Check out Roadrunner RV Resort there.
Been there many times to escape the heat here in West Texas.
Lots to see and do in the area.
Road Hawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #11

While Garden of the Gods is certainly a beautiful spot, make sure you do it early in your trip. Because if you go there after Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Arches (and don't miss Canyon Lands NP when visiting Arches), Garden of the Gods will be pretty much underwhelming and a "oh, that's nice" kind of place........ I wouldn't go out of my way to see GotG given the rest of you agenda. Rocky Mtn. Natl. Park would be something to consider instead.

Moab / Arches / Canyon Lands can be very hot in the summer.........
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
While Garden of the Gods is certainly a beautiful spot, make sure you do it early in your trip. Because if you go there after Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Arches (and don't miss Canyon Lands NP when visiting Arches), Garden of the Gods will be pretty much underwhelming and a "oh, that's nice" kind of place........ I wouldn't go out of my way to see GotG given the rest of you agenda. Rocky Mtn. Natl. Park would be something to consider instead.

Moab / Arches / Canyon Lands can be very hot in the summer.........
A side note, if you keep Colorado Springs / Garden of the Gods on your agenda, add a day in to drive up Pikes Peak. Take some warm layers, I think it was 30 degrees cooler at the top than in town when we were there in Aug. I actually enjoyed Pikes Peak a lot more than GotG.....

Have fun!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
for Pike's Peak. We also like Seven Falls and a day trip to Royal Gorge.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #14

If you're not in a hurry, heading west to Carlsbad, NM is worth the trip. The Carlsbad Caverns should be on your bucket list. Then you can head north on 285 through Roswell all the way to Santa Fe, and to infinity and beyond~!

We had a vacation home near Cloudcroft, off Hwy 82, and the surrounding area is beautiful. Southern tip of the Rocky Mountains. You have Lincoln and Fort Stanton for Billy the Kid history, Ruidoso is a beautiful mountain town, White Sands National Monument, down the mountain from Cloudcroft/Alamagordo on Hwy 70. Further on 70 you have White Sands Missile museum, then Mesilla just south of Las Cruces. Great food, cute town square, more Billy the Kid history.
Grenadiers is offline   Reply With Quote