Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #15

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
See the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola Florida.

Sedona Az was a beautiful spot when we traveled out west.

I agree to much to see if you can take longer do so.

St Augustine Fl has lots of history and beauty.

Have Fun !!

Eric

Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #16

For sure, get off I-40 east of Kingman avoiding Flagstaff-ABQ-Amarillo in mid-January. Too many miles for me in thirty days as I like to drive no more than 300 per day. x2 on the Naval Air Museum at Pensacola NAS. All the Navy, Marine and Coast Guard aircraft are beautifully restored.

EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm not planning much of my trip, either, just wandering towards the Keys, but thanks folks for the great suggestions!
Old 12-10-2015, 12:35 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I'm not planning much of my trip, either, just wandering towards the Keys, but thanks folks for the great suggestions!

I have been to keys many times, none with an RV. Just by chance I just returned from the keys 3 days ago and while there visited some RV parks and some state parks looking at sites. If you PM me I can give you some info and recommendations on some must sees.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-11-2015, 01:40 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the ideas, keep them coming. Everyone has been really helpful. I added the WWII and Air Museums so far and still looking at the other suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Might try to take in the Quartzsite Az RV show the 3rd week of January ?

Russell
I keep going back and forth on this one. I want to go but I'm sure all the RV parks are full. I know there is a lot of area for boon docking but I have read many stories of theft from those areas and I don't have anyone to watch my rig while I am away from it.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm777 View Post
Thanks for all the ideas, keep them coming. Everyone has been really helpful. I added the WWII and Air Museums so far and still looking at the other suggestions.

I keep going back and forth on this one. I want to go but I'm sure all the RV parks are full. I know there is a lot of area for boon docking but I have read many stories of theft from those areas and I don't have anyone to watch my rig while I am away from it.

I been out there to the show 3 times. Never felt that security was an issue at all. Two years we were able to find places in parks to stay. (Not the top parks in town but ok). The third year we stayed at Quail Run a top park in town (we had reservations there).

The week after the RVshow sites are easy to find. Lol.

We just parked in the BLM ground for free. Then took toad into town and went to the different RV parks to find a spot. Always able to find one ?? But we were very well prepared to stay out on the BLM ground if need be.

Russell.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #21

If you are going to go to Tombstone, might as well hit Bisbee and the Queen Mine too. Discover Bisbee Arizona

Fredricksburg for sure, love that place for a taste of Germany in the middle of Texas, plus Enchanted Rock right there too. Enchanted Rock State Natural Area — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

The Alamo and Riverwalk in San Antonio would rate a stop by me. The Official Website of The San Antonio River Walk

Plan a half day in Mobile and see the battleship USS Alabama. You can go inside a submarine also, the USS Drum, and the air museum is pretty extensive. USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park

The beaches from Gulf Shores, Alabama to Panama City, Fl are among the best in the world, worth a visit even in the winter.

Saint Augustine, as has been mentioned is a unique place to visit in the US. It has lost some of it's charm in the last couple decades with commercialization, but a must see for the history in my opinion.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I would drop down to the Coast about Houston. Hug that Coast the rest of the way.

All Florida State Campgrounds are nice.

You really cannot miss, most of what you want to see is natural beauty. I love those nice towns , from Mobile South. Then you can fill in with events & attractions.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
John, Did the Alamo this past summer stayed right off of I-10 in Luling, TX. It was about 50 minutes to St. Antonio and 20 minutes to the Barbecue Capital of Texas - Lockhart. Worth stopping at the BBQ joints featured on many different TV show about BBQ. Another trip we stayed at Cajun Palms in Henderson LA right off of I-10 near Lafayette, LA where Cajun Cuisine is at it's finest. Did a nice side trip to Avery Island to the Tabasco Factory. My son went to LSU in Baton Rouge and there is plenty to see there. You have the Capital Building where Huey Long was shot and then Death Valley the LSU Stadium and Mike the tiger. NOLA is always an place where there is a lot to see. Stayed 10 minutes outside the city at River Ridge at NO West KOA. When you get to Florida it depends if you take the East (I-95) or West (I-75) Coast route. Off on I-95 Did St. Augustine last year and doing it again in April. It is a nice place plenty to see. You can day trip to NASA it was worth it. Did Key West last April. A destination in itself. Passed through the other Keys leaving them for another trip. You have a round trip of about 100 driving hours over 30 days without any structure Doable but not a lot of time at any specific location unless you have some dedicated driving days.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #24

JPM777
So. A month? I think not. Too much to see unless you want to be like the foreign tourists running about and taking pictures like they're on fire.
Take a few months and do it right
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #25

I haven't seen the San Jacinto Battlefield, Monument, and Museum mentioned, but if you have an interest in seeing the Alamo, San Jacinto is where Huston and his men finally caught up with Santa Anna and extracted revenge for what happened at the Alamo. It is located near Houston and also has a '40s battleship, the USS Texas, and a submarine that can be toured. When we were there years ago there was a narrated slide show about the event utilizing 9 slide projectors. Probably replaced with something else now. IMHO, a very worthwhile place to visit along the way.

We lost (had stolen) a shotgun and camera with bag and lenses in New Orleans and haven't been back. But then we were warned not to park near the French Quarter.

Didn't care much for Big Bend, but then we were there in July.:-)) January should be about right.

There is also Carlsbad, but you may be too far East, and the Saguaro and Organ Pipe Cacti if you like that sort of thing.

Loved Key West when I was there during my Navy years, but that was a long time ago. At that time the Blue Angels wintered at Boca Chica Field and we would often watch them practice.

It's all beautiful, enjoy!

Steve
Old 12-11-2015, 11:54 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Have you made reservations in the Keys or any place in southern FL yet? The Keys book early for a January stay (like last year).
In the winter months, I would not venture anywhere in FL, especially the Keys, without advance reservations. Even the state parks are hard to get into that time year. You can find the odd nite or two available with some calling around. Expect to spend $100+/nite anywhere in the Keys. FL tends to be more restrictive/regulated than most states with boon docking and Walmart overnights.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:58 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
For all those that asked if I already have reservations in Florida, the answer is no. I did not want to make a reservation because I did not know when I would get there because I am still planning my stops on the way. And if I find somewhere I really like I might stay and couple of extra days. The Florida Keys was more of a direction than a destination as I just wanted to go cross country and stay out of the snow areas. I figured when I got to the Florida Panhandle area I would see if I could find an opening for a couple of days; if not I would stay in the area I stopped. Heck I may not even make it past Texas and decide to turn back.

So far I have stops planned all the way to the naval air museum in Pensacola. Anything east of that I can still use some suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:48 AM   #28

See the manatees here.

www.floridastateparks.org/park/Blue-Spring