Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2015, 11:48 PM   #15

Navajo Lake state park is NW area outside Aztec, and has a fairly good size lake. then you can venture east to Chama area, and then enchanted circle around Taos/Questa/Red River/Angel Fire/Eagle Nest/Cimarron.

I did stay at one of the private RV parks in Red River, the one that has some yurts for rent along with RV and camping tent sites. It is literally on the river, 10 ft behind the MH was the river. Worked good for us, but like many private parks it is not much space between sites. It is walking distance to town (approx 3/4 mile) or they have a free shuttle bus into RR. This is the place:
Red River RV Park

38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #16

Scotty,

I am warning you if you take LGCope and Twogypsies suggestions your fly fishing attitude and experience will be adjusted. No one can describe the San Juan fishing, it must be experienced to understand. The San Juan is one of the top ten quality trout fishing rivers in the U.S. I have fished 15+ days on this river and never once got off the river without a smile that lasted until I fell asleep that night.

When I've used a guide it has always been from Fishheads, but many guides in the area and they all launch from the same site. Have always fished with Bubba Smith, head guide, who also ties several fly patterns for Orvis.

These suggestions are a radical change from subject area you were asking about. If not this trip perhaps put it on your bucket list.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Navajo Lake looks and sounds like something I would love to do. Unfortunately it is a little too far for this trip. This trip originally started out to be a short Ruidoso trip. However, we have been to Ruidoso many times, so we decided to go a little further north to Red River / Taos area. We only have an extended week with two days travel each way. We really only have about 7 nights to spend once we get there.

We have reservations for two nights at Angel Fire RV Resort. From there we will scout our next camp at Red River or Taos. We will have an open itinerary after AFR. There are a couple NF campgrounds that look promising west of Red River. Also a couple BLM campgrounds on the Rio Grande, SW of Taos. Two of them actually have 50A service at a dozen or so sites. No reservations. Do you think it is feasible to take a small tent to throw up if you spot a camp while scouting? Then go back and get the RV and park it? I've seen a lot of tents or car campers take up premium RV sites, when there are no reservations. We are trying to time the trip between "back to school" and Labor Day, hoping to maybe catch a mini off-peak season.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGCope View Post
Nailed it. I haven't been there in quite some time, but this is on my list to revisit. The fly fishing in the quality waters is phenomenal. I grew up 45 minutes from here in Colorado. Great recommendation.

2012 F150 EB FX4 Super Crew | 2011 Keystone Outback 250RS
Arizona
We live in Farmington, .N.M., only 45 minutes from the quality waters. Cottonwood campground is right on the river just below the quality waters. BLM dirt road in but not bad if you take it slow. Go to nmstateparks.com to make reservations. The TEXAS HOLE has 25+ rainbows and browns.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Scotty, if you're traveling from the Austin area, the free community owned RV park in Muleshoe (tx) is a great place to overnite. It offers full hookups with 50 amp service and is located on Hwy 84 near the center of town. Sites are available on a "first come" basis but the park isn't that well known... yet.

PS. You working the Marble Falls boat races this year?
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Scotty, if you're traveling from the Austin area, the free community owned RV park in Muleshoe (tx) is a great place to overnite. It offers full hookups with 50 amp service and is located on Hwy 84 near the center of town. Sites are available on a "first come" basis but the park isn't that well known... yet.

PS. You working the Marble Falls boat races this year?
That's good information. I will look into the park at Muleshoe.

Yes, I will be working the Marble Falls race next weekend. I will park the MA along the creek, past the pavillion. If you are coming, let me know and I will let you know how to get there. We have a shady spot near the finish line for our guest.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:33 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Scotty, I may try to make it out. Always nice to put a face with a (screen) name. Should I pm you for directions?

In the meantime here's the link for the RV park.

Ray and Donna West Free RV Park

-David

Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote