Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #1

Northwest trip questions

My wife and I are thinking about a trip northwest this year. We would like to see northwestern states and Yellow stone. I was wondering if anyone has taken any particular routes and are there good RV parks along the way?
We have a 2000 Alegro Zephyr 42 1/2 feet long RV.

Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tenn. to Yellowstone, quite a trip!
What route have you planned so far?
The west coast is so full of wonderful camping parks, both Federal, State and private, if you have a lifetime you would be hard pressed to see half of them.
Let us (iRV2) know some of your plans you have so far, you will get a great reaction-More info than you can digest, these are great people and love to share thier knowledge
Larry and Rita
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:54 AM   #3

Larry & Rita,
My first idea is to leave here and head North up I-75 as far as we can go to Mackinaw City and pickp US route 2 and follow it across to Spokane and then start back. I haven't decided which route/routes to take on way back. Still looking.
Will keep all informed.

Paul
Old 06-15-2011, 05:28 AM   #4

Paul,

You might want to drop down to I-90 (or I-94) before reaching MT on your west bound leg. We were warned last summer to stay away from US-2 in Northeast MT last summer due to the heavy truck traffic. They are working on a large oil field, you also might have trouble finding parks too.

But dropping down to I-90 has lots of advantages, Badlands NP, Wall Drug, Rapid City, Black Hills and Custer SP plus tons of other stuff to see and do. Continue west to Devils Tower and then back up to US-2 for Glacier NP.

Check the old posts for some of the above.

Bob
Old 06-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #5

Is there a reason you are only going as far west as Spokane? Don't get me wrong it is beautiful there (lived there for 5 years) but the real beauty is on the coast of Washington/Oregon and along the Columbia River. Just a thought
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Visiting Yellowstone NP and Glacier NP areas usually require advance reservations and most times well in advance of your arrival date.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm with Bob, the things to do on I-90 far outway the trip on 2.
To bad you won't get to see our state, Washington west is great, if it wasn't for the coast we would have left long ago.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #8

Interesting, an old friend told me once to travel route 2 because it was beautiful.
As far as only going to Spokane, that was just an idea. This is why I'm asking for advise.
Also didn't realize you needed resevations to enter Yellostone.

Any suggestions for places to stay and see? Don't want to go southwest, been there.

Paul
Old 06-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #9

I live on the north Oregon coast and here is some information that is near where I live if you choose to make it to the coast in Oregon. Summer is definitely the time to be here and it is extremely scenic, so bring a camera and be prepared to make many stops for pictures. Make sure to also pack rain jackets and some warm clothes just in case the weather turns sour and is not so nice. Hopefully though, you would get some nice comfortable, sunny days while here.

Starting at the very north tip of the coast in oregon, there are two RV parks that exist at Ft. Stevens State Park area (historically, this was the end of the line for the Lewis and Clark Expedition), a nice state park and a nice KOA, Warrenton area. This is also where Battery Russell park and the Peter Iredale Pacific Coast shipwreck ("the graveyard of the Pacific") are. Warrenton states that it is the only area on the Pacific coast of the continental USA that was attacked during World War II.

If you head south a bit into Seaside, there is what seems like a nice RV park at the south end, Circle Creek RV Park & Campground. I've never stayed there but pass by there a lot and it seems like a nice place to stay.

Heading down south a bit more is a great little RV park at the north end of Cannon Beach, Sea Ranch RV Park. Granted, I've never stayed there either but it seems a very nice area. Cannon Beach is also home to the picturesque Haystack Rock monolith, a must see for pictures and hopefully on a clear day. Very nice, quaint town with lots of artsy type shops, very small town feel.

Drive about 45 minutes south and you will be on the north end of Tillamook bay, a place to camp (sorry, not sure if RVs are OK but I think they are) at Barview which is coastal just next to the Tillamook bay bar. Tillamook has two cheese factories with tours and an air museum a lot of people like to go to. On the south end of Tillamook bay, you can take a road off of hwy 101 to Oceanside which is nice. Be sure to check that route out as it may get a bit tight for turning around (it's been a little while since I have been there). Pacific City is a bit further south and can be a nice stop.

Now, further south is getting farther from my house so I do not know as much but I have been down there a number of times.

Lincoln City has lots of stores, and outlet store mall, restaurants. Newport is again further south and has a Walmart, among many other stores, restaurants and a very nice Aquarium to visit. There are most likely many RV spots along the way.

Just some ideas for you in the event you would like to make you way all the way to the coast. If you are as close as you say you will be, it would be worth while to see the north west coast of the USA too. Very scenic and relaxing.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #10

Well, I think we have part of our trip planned. We will be leaving TN on July 1st and have reservations July 4th at Rocky Mountain RV park in Gardiner, MT.
We plan on going north and driving across I-94 in ND then on to Gardiner, MT. We are planning on staying there 5 days and getting out on the Harley and sight seeing Yellostone. I want to ride the Bear Tooth Highway.
I know we can't see it all. On our trip back we plan on going thru SD and take our time getting back.
Maybe next time we can go further and see Washington and Oregon.

Will post more as it happens.

If anyone is coming to Pigeon Forge, TN or close by I'd recommend the place we just stayed the weekend at. Up The Creek RV Campground, check it out in Pigeon Forge, TN.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at Rocky Mountain Park two years ago. Did you make them aware of your length? Most of the spots were very tight for our 38'. As I recall, they have a couple longer sites. You might want to ask about them. BTW...the owners are from Dallas, summer in Gardiner and winter in Texas. You are 5 minutes from the park entrance. One suggestion-get into the park early as the cars line up at the gates starting about 9. Besides, we saw most of the wildlife from dawn until 10 am.

Going back through S Dakota will be great. Custard State Park should be a National park. Mt Rushmore, Needles hwy, Spearfish Canyon, Deadwood...we spent three weeks and didn't want to leave. This where we stayed. Rafter J Bar Ranch - Attractions | Home

Have a great trip.

On edit: We traveled 6 weeks and that was about six too short.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we stayed at rocky mt. in site 72 a couple of yrs ago with a 40 ft & toad had no problem & from there we stayed at Alderwood in Spokane & found that to be a little tight on the slides but a nice park that was very handy to downtown, we stayed in site 85, ps the others are right ,stay off 2
DRBARBER001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Paul

Gary Watts (MHingFun) are currently traveling on HWY 2 and it appears to me they are having a great time. You can read their blog here: www.mytripjournal.com/werewinginit

If your going to spokane go the few additional miles to levenworth, wa.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb # 395

On the way back Home, try # 395. You just hit small town America and not much traffic. This Highway is for years on our to-do-list. You can pick it up on the Canadian border or Spokane. Of course you can drive it NORTH from CA on.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote