Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nova Scotia

We have started looking into traveling up to Nova Scotia. Since we know little about the area I thought I would solict suggestions.

What should we see/avoid?

Are there ample 50 amp service campgrounds there?

We then are thinking about traveling to Quebec and then down to Vermont to visit our niece. Suggestions for must see stops along that route?

Thanks,

Gary

gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi there and potentially Welcome to my neck of the woods. I've only just started RV'ing so I don't have a lot of experience just yet, but here are a couple of places depending on what your looking for.
If you are bringing children, the Halifax West KOA has an excellent play area.
If you want supremely quiet, I mean a place where paint makes more noise when it drys, 5 Island Ocean Resort in Parrsboro. I went there a couple of weekends ago, didn't like it, pulled out early. Very nice views, but very quiet. Did I mention it was quiet?
Kejimkujik National Park and National Historic Site of Canada is supposed to be very nice as is 5 Islands Provincial Park. Not much in the way of services, from what I've been told.
Parks Canada - Kejimkujik National Park and National Historic Site
I've heard there are some very nice camps up in Cape Breton.
One of my favorite towns to visit is Lunnenburg, Nova Scotia. This is where they built the Bluenose Schooner. If I'm not mistaken it's in refit in Lunnenburg right now and is available to visit. IF you go to Lunnenburg stop at Big Reds Restaurant for fish and chips and a slice of Coconut Cream Pie. It's the BEST I've had anywhere bar none, the pie that is. The F & C is good too, but not as remarkable as the pie.
Bluenose II Nova Scotia's Sailing Ambassador: History under sail! .
I'll stop here, it's not much but it's a start. hopefully others will chime in. There are hundreds of places to visit. All depends on what you looking for. Perhaps you could describe the type of experience you want and others better versed than I can help you zero in on it.

Stewart

IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stewart,

Thanks for your welcome and suggestions. We will not have any children but there will be four adults and two dogs. We will most likely only have 3 or 4 days to spend there before we will need to head West toward Quebec and then South toward Vermont.

My guess is that we would like to stay along the shore line while in your area. Visiting light houses, towns, etc. We are all kind of laid back and not looking for "thrills and chills" if you know what I mean.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You'll find some good stuff here.
https://www.novascotia.com/en/home/p...s/default.aspx
Sounds like you might like the Lighthouse route.
Lighthouse Route | South Shore | Nova Scotia
Select Campground at this link.
Nova Scotia Maps | Map of NS

Enjoy
Old 05-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Lighthouse route is one of my favorite drives. Lots of picturesque towns, Lunnenburg is one of them and is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Peggys cove is on this route, but I wouldn't try driving to the lighthouse in a MOHO. Travel busses do it, so it is doable, but in the high season the place is packed and the street(singular) is packed with foot traffic, so walk in or use a toad. The towns along this route go back to the day of priates, now a days we call them politicians, lol. Lot's and lots of history.
Of course theres always the Cape Breton Highlands. Cletic History and such.
Fortress Louisbourg makes for a great day.
Parks Canada - Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site - Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site of Canada
Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you don't have this link already, you can review your campsite choices here,
RV Park Reviews :: Home
I really wsh I had of looked at this before I went to 5 Islands Ocean Resort. LOL.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stewart,

Thanks for all the good information. Our trip isn't until August so I have plenty of time to look at everything and determine what we would like to visit.

Gary
Old 06-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your very welcome. If you have any questions please feel free to drop me a line.
Enjoy the planning and your trip.

Stewart
P.S. Lobster is going for a very good price this year. lol
Old 06-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #9

Nova Scotia

I did a similar trip last June/July to Nova Scotia. Actually we enjoyed Lubec, Maine as much as anything. Two major lighthouses and a campground right on the water priced very reasonably. We entered Canada thru St. John's New Brunswick and took an easy multi-laned highway to Nova Scotia. Our last campground that we stayed at was just a few miles from Cape Breton. My only regret was that we didn't have time to go all the way up Cape Breton where the moose evidently are in abundance even in the summer. I can give you more details if you want. I reside in Virginia Beach. bsvirginian@gmail.com
Old 06-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #10

If you follow the Cabot Trail, you will see some great scenery. Peggy's Cove is a favorite stop and definitely visit Halifax. Great city with interesting history and sites. They still send a Christmas Tree to Boston every year as a thank you for aiding them during their disastrous explosion. If you have time, take the bridge to Prince Edwards Island (toll $$)if you like peaceful villages.
New Brunswick has nice scenery and when you get to Vermont, visit Queechee Gorge off rt 91.
The year we went the ferry service was still running so we took the Cat (Fast speed ferry) from Acadia Bar Harbor to Yarmouth, NS. From there be prepared to drive for hours just looking at evergreen trees on your way to Halifax.
Bay of Fundy has the highest tide shifts in the world. Stop along the way to visit the oyster farms.
Don't forget you Passports and if traveling with pets, have their vaccination documentation up to date. You may lose travel time when crossing back into the USA if Customs is doing thorough checks of vehicles.
mrrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #11

want there last summer, go to PEI take the ferry arcoss then the bridge back, its cheaper, u pay when u leave ferry 82.00 bridge 35 or 40, hopewell rocks in the bay of fundy is a must, peggys cove park at the tourest info and walk to the light house no room for motor homes, on PEI u go tip to tip , north cape is fantastic, if u go off the beaten path the roads are bad, we found PEI to be the best, Ill think of more later
gbstewart
Old 08-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Gary, Hope your having a great time wandering aroung Nova Scotia. It was great meeting you and your crew at the KOA.
Take care and Happy Trails.

Stewart and Kim.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Hi Gary, Hope your having a great time wandering aroung Nova Scotia. It was great meeting you and your crew at the KOA.
Take care and Happy Trails.

Stewart and Kim.
Stewart,

Good seeing you and Kim. Thanks for the tips on our journeys over the next few days. Downtown Halifax was great. We got lost on the way home.... Next time I will have our home base programmed into the GPS....
Old 08-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
Stewart,

Good seeing you and Kim. Thanks for the tips on our journeys over the next few days. Downtown Halifax was great. We got lost on the way home.... Next time I will have our home base programmed into the GPS....
LOL! Please remember if you need any assintance what so ever do not hesitate to call.
Enjoy your stay!

Stewart