Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
KIX

Take the ferry TO PEI and the Confederation Bridge FROM PEI back to New Brunswick. That's the least expensive way to go......Ferry = free and the bridge is about $70 to return.
Be sure you see the Cabot Trail and the Baddeck area has some sights too.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
KIX, thanks for the advice about ferry and bridge combo. In Texas we don't deal much with ferries but we are familiar with ferries in Canada having used one to get from Vancouver to Vancouver Island with a rental car.

This topic does cause me to ask, hopefully not a dumb question, can or will these ferries accommodate a 37 foot motorhome with a 13 foot motorcycle trailer, (12+ meters); with motorcycle attached?
Stargazer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer66 View Post
We are making our way from Texas to Nova Scotia next summer (2013) and would like to hear from you guys regarding a good place to stay for 3 weeks.

Our class A, (28,000 pounds), is 37 feet long with 2 slide-outs; and we will be pulling a motorcycle/trailer which is 13 feet long.

In addition to full hook-up, WiFi and shade are important to us. Cable or Air TV would be a bonus.

Thanks for your thoughts!
HI
We have stayed at Elm River campground, Debert, Nova Scotia. 888 356 4356 Stayed there with my 40 foot rv pulling Jeep GC. It is a nice spot close to lots of things to do. Google it if you can.
It is a Good Sam park. We have a relative who works there in the summer.
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
KIX, thanks for the advice about ferry and bridge combo. In Texas we don't deal much with ferries but we are familiar with ferries in Canada having used one to get from Vancouver to Vancouver Island with a rental car.

This topic does cause me to ask, hopefully not a dumb question, can or will these ferries accommodate a 37 foot motorhome with a 13 foot motorcycle trailer, (12+ meters); with motorcycle attached?
Denise and I did the Bridge on (Free) and the ferry off ($100.00 +/-) with our 23 footer last spring. The ferry we rode aboard had a couple of Class A units aboard. so it should be quite capable of carrying your units.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Took my 40ft pulling the Explorer and parked it right beside an 18 wheeler. I understoon it could accomadate 17 of the 18 wheelers. That was not the largest ferry there.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Took my a Ford Explorer and loaded it on with several 18 wheelers. I understood the ferry could handle up to 17 18 wheelers + many cars.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #21
KIX

Quote:

We loaded our 40 foot and a towed Grand Cherokee (connected) with no problems.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #22

We made a similar trip last summer. Although we "wandered" a lot more than you're going to, you may find some helpful hints in our blog. RoadNotes

Have a great trip!
fnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #23

We in Nova Scotia will be glad to welcome all of you. If you make it to Cape Breton, you will have to visit the Marconi National Historic site Parks Canada

You will also enjoy the Fortress of Louisbourg, Parks Canada

And the Alexander Bell Museum, Parks Canada - Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site - Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site of Canada.

If you do make it to Cape Breton, come visit us at the Mira Provincial Park, Nova Scotia Provincial Parks where I will open my roll-off-roof observatory and give you a view of the night sky through one of our two 10" MEADE lx200 TELESCOPES. As far as I know, this is the only observatory, in Canada, built inside a provincial park that is open the the public and campers who visit the park. We have shown the night sky to people from all over the world and welcome everyone to view the wonders of our universe.
Stanleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #24

Have been looking into going to NS also, so very interested in these posts. As we are looking at the Port Hood area on Cape Breton - found Sunset Sands. Anyone stayed here?
ncylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #25

Haven't stayed there, but you can't go wrong anywhere on the island.
Stanleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #26

Nova Scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
We live in the beautiful Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia which is pretty central to the province. We are more than pleased to provide any info that we can and also be more than pleased to meet you at some point during your tour.
Don't mean to butt in but just found this thread today...Linda and I are planning a trip up your way the second two weeks? of July....we live near Roanoke, Va and have a 33' gas motorhome...need to rent a car while there since we don't pull anything...planning to bring our two grandaughters, 18 and 11....would like a nice campground and centrally located so we can make leisurely day trips. Thanks for any info....
Bobby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
Although I am from New Brunswick right next to Nova Scotia, I would be happy to recommend some campgrounds and attractions in this part of Canada. We have traveled and RV'ed in Nova Scotia for many years. If you could give us some idea of what is on your to do list, I can give you further information. This is one of the most beautiful parts of Canada. Don't miss Prince Edward Island if you are coming this way. Welcome to the Maritimes.
We are from Iowa and will be in NS for a month. We have reservations at Linkletter PP in PEI from aug 20th thru 27th, can we tour PEI from that campground? We will also spend week at Cape Breton Is any suggestions? Also Digby area. Thanks
lyncjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #28

Ovens Campground

Quote:
We are making our way from Texas to Nova Scotia next summer (2013) and would like to hear from you guys regarding a good place to stay for 3 weeks.
Several years back we stayed at the Ovens Park

Ovens Natural Park

We had a great time!

Believe it or not, the place is owned by the brother of Harry Chapin

ToddandHeather is offline   Reply With Quote