Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #1

Nova Scotia in August

We are looking for recommendations on a campground near Halifax NS for a group of 6 Motorhomes this August. I would appreciate any suggestions as this is our first trip to Canada.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and/or comments.

Pete

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
We are looking for recommendations on a campground near Halifax NS for a group of 6 Motorhomes this August. I would appreciate any suggestions as this is our first trip to Canada.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and/or comments.

Pete
Pete; good evening from New Brunswick, Canada. There are a few campgrounds near Halifax and the nearest to Downtown would likely be the Halifax West KOA or a Provincial Park which was just renovated and will open Jun 1st = Laurie Park. There are a few private and Provincial parks within 20 -30 minutes drive and in most cases it is an easy drive into the city. If you give me some idea of your needs/wants I may be able to make a more informed recommendation. IF the timing is right I might even show you the way. I live about 4 hours drive from Halifax.
There are quite a few Provincial parks which are excellent for ocean views etc. but you won't find full services in all of them, Check Campgrounds Nova Scotia . The site for Campground owners of NS doesn't list the Provincial parks. Suggestion: check the site belo wand ask for the Doers and Dreamers Guide to be sent to you. It's one of the best although Newfoundland and Labrador has absolutely, bar none, the best tourism information package available to travellers.
Mark https://www.novascotia.com/en/home/p...s/default.aspx

Old 05-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #3

Mark,

Thanks for the information. I have booked a reservation at the KOA as it had some good reviews and we have always had good luck with KOAs. We are traveling mid August and will be coming in from Baddeck.
Very much looking forward to visiting your beautiful Country.

Pete
Old 05-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Pete; Sounds like you are taking the Cabot Trail trip. Take that slow and careful because the mountains are small but steep and the scenery is distracting.It's a good trip. I am planning to move to NS when my house sells so I might even be living in the area when you get there. How long do you plan to be in NS? It has some of the nicest Provincial parks in Canada and there are some along the South Shore which are really worth while. If you going to be around there for a week to so I can make a few suggestions. But do try the Provincial Parks and you will see some scenery, possibly wildlife and have an enjoyable stay. No, I am not from NS so I am not promoting it for that reason. Send a note when you are coming in this direction and perhaps we can meet and greet. Regards.
Mark
"Strangers are friends we haven't met yet".
Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just to add some more info for other camp grounds before you get there and sites to see.
The KOA at base of Kelly's mountain has tour vans that travel the Cabot Trail.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
KIX

PeteB.........you mentioned that you will be staying in Baddeck. if you are staying at Bras d'Or Lakes CG be very careful if it has recently rained Many of their sites are clay under the grass and getting in/out is not a pleasant experience. the sites closer to the water offer more stable parking than those "up the hill".
The Cabot Trail is outstanding.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote