Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nova Socia in June 2018

We will be in Nova Socia the 3rd week in June. I have a couple of questions. First is it possible to have a single base point for the MH and see the Hopewell Rocks (aka Flowerpot Rocks), Peggy’s Cove (we plan on doing a Puffin cruise from there) and do a day trip to PEI? Do I need reservations and is it too later to think about reservations at this date?

I am looking for informed answers from people who “have been there - done that”. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
So.... not so sure about reservations being available but would guess you could find a place (even tho many of the favorite spots always have commercial caravans coming and going).

Trying to get to Peggy's Cove and PEI from one spot... maybe stay in Truro and drive 2 hrs to PG and 2 hrs to PEI on separate days (forget trying that in one day).

Not sure where you mean about the Flower Pots as there any a number of places in New Brunswick but not sure about Nova Scotia.

We spent a month in NB, NS and PEI and still wanted to stay longer. My best suggestion with just one week is to find a nice spot (not Truro) and drive around. Seems to be a stretch trying to get to PEI and still enjoy Nova Scotia. And when we were there in 2013 or 2014 it cost $60 in tolls to get off PEI and there wasn't much that invested us there as in NB and NS.

I'd suggest staying in/near Halifax and making some nice day trips around. And if the Tatto is going on while you're in Halifax it is a MUST GO.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:08 AM   #3

Hopefully can answer your question. NO. Spent a week in Nova Scotia late last summer. Island is a lot bigger than you think. You only mention Hopewell and Peggy's area, there is much more in that area, then there is Cape Breton area! Cabot trail, louisberg, etc.

PEI is also worthy of at least another week!

Whatever you decide, enjoy!
mckbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies. I did more research and decided to make reservations in New Brunswick near the Hopewell NP. I would have scheduled more time in the areas, but DW doesn’t want to get gone more than six weeks. So I’m jamming as much as I can in the time frame.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #5

Been There, Done That: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Labrador, PEI

No Reservation and No problems. Boon docked the entire trip. We did use Harvest Host in PEI. But that is really Boon Docking too.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #6

I have travelled the east coast many times. You could camp closer to the main hwy, and take your toad to see the Hopewell Rocks and some of the west side of the Bay of Fundy. We took Hwy 114 through Alma, and stayed at Alma for the night. There is a very big hill on that highway. It had my brakes smoking on my gasser rv. For PEI, I recommend taking the ferry over, and the Confederation Bridge back. Its free to get on the island, you have to pay to get off. The bridge is cheaper. Take the ferry, then go to Charlettowne. From there, head to the Confederation Bridge. This will give you a good taste of PEI. The rest of the island pretty much looks the same. I love the Bay of Fundy. Tidal Bore at Truro, and South Maitland area. Drive some of the Fundy sea shore, then head across to the Halifax side. You have Peggys Cove, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, The Citadel, Halifax museum and waterfront. North of Halifax is Fortress Louisbourg, Cape Breton, The Cabot Trail. The Cabot trail is one of North Americas top drive. You could even do PEI on the return trip, as the ferry leaves close to where the Cabot trail ends. Any way you do it, you will love the east coast. I could go on and on. I have been there three times in the last six years, including NFLD, and I will be going back soon.