Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile NYC and Washington DC?

We're in the beginning stages of planning a BIG "Out East" trip for 2020. What would be the BEST time of year to visit:

1) NYC - less heat and crowds?
2) Washington DC - again, less heat and crowds? Fewer students/kids?
3) Up the East Coast into Maine....not too cold, but still enjoyable weather?
4) The "Finger Lakes"?

If any of you have suggestions on great RV parks in which to visit the above, please do share!! I've read a lot about Liberty Harbor in NYC, but we worry about traffic with our Class A DP/towing a Chev. Colorado! We've been to Washington DC a number of times, but always with out children, who are now grown. We'd like to visit as ADULTS and take our time through the many museums. We'll stay at Cherry Hill Campground while there. Best parks for Maine coast? For the "Finger Lakes" Region? For "Hocking Hills" region in Ohio?

Thank you again, all, for your wisdom!
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #2

For Washington I would consider April or October/November. It never seems to amaze me though how many tourists there can be at any time of the year. I've been there in the cold of January and still seen crowds at different places. In April you might luck out and see the cherry blossoms and in the fall you benefit from cooler weather and fewer crowds.

New York City can be crowded any time of year but if you were to wedge in a visit between Washington and New England in late April/early May, you can still have nice weather and lesser crowds then you would have in the peak of summer.

In New England, May would probably be the best time to avoid crowds and still have nicer weather. Fall is when the leaf peepers come out of the woodwork and it starts getting colder in November.

I can't really suggest campgrounds elsewhere because we haven't don't any camping around New York or Washington but hopefully that helps with the timing planning.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:01 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best times would be either after Easter but before Memorial Day or after Labor Day but before Columbus Day. Crowds will be reasonable with school still in session while weather temps are still comfortable.

Beyond Liberty Island in NYC and Cherry Hill in DC camp grounds come in all shapes and sizes. I have a personal preference for public parks over commercial places to help keep the per night cost to camp down a bit.

If you headed north into Maine try and schedule time in the White Mountains of New Hampshire along with coastal Maine.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spring in DC is when all of the schools take their field trips. Cherry Blossom festival is early spring. The best time, IMO is just after Labor Day. Kids are back in school, temps should have moderated.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #5

Agree w the after Labor Day timing.
In Finger Lakes many wineries to visit, plan on a day visit to Corning Museum of Glass and a sail plane ride at Harris Hill also the Glen Curtis Museum in Hammondsport is very worthwhile.
We have stayed at a regional RV park near Manassis Va (Bull Run if I recall correctly) which is a convenient location near Dulles and public transport onto DC.
Don't miss the new air & space Museum at Dulles Airport. It's at least 10x the add pace & exhibits of the old one one the mall. Also take the free guided tour to get a lot of good info / insights and them go back to any exhibits you want to spend more time at.
Maine shuts down after Columbus Day so plan to be there before. Camden Me is a nice stop and we found a lobster boat tour there that was interesting. LL Bean in Freeport is a favorite stop for shoppers.
Someone mentioned NH... if you go the Mt Washington Cog Railway trip is also very interesting.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
We're in the beginning stages of planning a BIG "Out East" trip for 2020. What would be the BEST time of year to visit:

4) The "Finger Lakes"?

If any of you have suggestions on great RV parks in which to visit the above, please do share!! I've read a lot about Liberty Harbor in NYC, but we worry about traffic with our Class A DP/towing a Chev. Colorado! We've been to Washington DC a number of times, but always with out children, who are now grown. We'd like to visit as ADULTS and take our time through the many museums. We'll stay at Cherry Hill Campground while there. Best parks for Maine coast? For the "Finger Lakes" Region? For "Hocking Hills" region in Ohio?

Thank you again, all, for your wisdom! [emoji144]
NYC April, May and June is good as is September. Just look out for fleet week. Ct. and North it's a crap shoot. Rates will jump during leaf season. I would say June, July in Maine. August has bugs. When it gets hot in the North east it's bad 90 deg with 90% humidity and 75 at night but doesnt last long. Be ready for the 40 deg swing, it happens in the hills.

Finger lakes are pretty, a bit remote but nice. I would say spend the hotter months there.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #7

Since I live only 100 miles North of NYC: is it okay for me to suggest that you find a nicer place to visit?

Been there: seen all of it's ugliness: ain't ever going back!

Having said that: Autumn is probably the nicest time of year to check it out...
Old 12-08-2018, 05:57 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile Thank you! Keep it coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Since I live only 100 miles North of NYC: is it okay for me to suggest that you find a nicer place to visit?

Been there: seen all of it's ugliness: ain't ever going back!

Having said that: Autumn is probably the nicest time of year to check it out...
GREAT advice from all of you! Thank you!! However, spring is out of the question because we'll be coming back from our "snowbird trip" down south. We'll just be getting back to Michigan in April, and we enjoy our summer months here with the grandchildren. Sounds like the end of August and into September will be our best bet?? Maybe leave Michigan the end of August and hit the Finger Lakes first, then NH and Maine, then down to NYC and finally, Washington DC?

NYC is one of those places that I just have to see once! I want to see the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, …….maybe be in the audience on a morning show or two as it's filming.....experience the subways.....etc. Once will be good enough for us.

Keep the advice coming on things to see, places to visit, and campgrounds to stay at!! We appreciate it all!!
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Sounds like the end of August and into September will be our best bet?? Maybe leave Michigan the end of August and hit the Finger Lakes first, then NH and Maine, then down to NYC and finally, Washington DC?
Keep the advice coming on things to see, places to visit, and campgrounds to stay at!! We appreciate it all!!
Going west to east, might I suggest stopping at Letchworth State Park first for a couple of days, state park is rated one of the ten best parks in the country. Not sure if the state campground has adequate space for the larger class A's but there is also The Ridge Campground down the road that has space for the larger Rv's (ask for a site in front of the campground store for best view of valley)

Watkins Glen Gorge and finger lakes:
Seneca Lake is extremely scenic, Pick up a guild in town for the wine, beer and cheese trail around the lake. Many of the establishments also have good eats and scenic venues that overlook the lake, well worth spending the day

If money is no object the Watkins Glen/corning KOA has some high end sites you would probably enjoy, they also have the basic full hookup sites, more affordable but will still on the expensive side.

Clute Park is more in town and closer to the Watkins Glen gorge, has large sites also, if your looking to save some money and a few minutes travel. All mentioned campgrounds get good reviews.

Mike
Old 12-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #10

Quote:

4) The "Finger Lakes"?

Thank you again, all, for your wisdom!
As one who Lives on the East Coast - Fall is the Best time to Visit/Travel (JMHO) - Finger Lakes right after Labor Day - bump around the Great Lakes and Upper New England before everything Closes - Might think about getting a Hotel in NYC - just a thought - Delaware Beaches are Fun up till Christmas even if cooler (We did Two seperate Thanksgivings this Year there with our Kids and Families and everyone loved it) - Hard to beat Cherry Hill - also look into Rocky Gap SP in Maryland to just get away - Biltmore and Lake Toxaway are fun - Hilton Head has always been a good choice for us in the Winter as we are not Florida people.

Guess that sort of Covers it - if I can be of more help just ask -

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #11

After nearly 20 years of annual visits and usually staying for the entire season, our favorite time in Maine is September, just after Labor Day.

The pace slows down, many less tourists (just watch the cruise ship schedules if you want to visit Bar Harbor or Portland - some of the ships unload 4000+ passengers in those ports).

Most Maine RV parks and campgrounds don't open until Memorial Day. They also close by Columbus Day (some close October 1).

May/June is black fly season in Maine (watch the black fly reports online - western areas are much worse than coastal as black flies need running freshwater streams). June before schools get out for the summer can be nice (as long as you're not near the black flies).

We usually go from Maine to the Finger Lakes in the fall.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #12

I was going to point out that spring is mud season in the NE. The frost heaves the ground along with the spring rains and it takes a while to dry out. Biting bugs come out with the wet.

It seems to me that you might be biting off too much territory for one trip. It's easy to spend a week or more in the Finger Lakes and that is without hitting the outliers like Letchworth or Niagara Falls. Maine and New Hampshire are good for a month assuming you are just hitting the White Mountains then drifting over to the Maine coast. I'd throw in Vermont. You can do the 48 states in 48 weeks tour or take some time and really look around at what is there. The former just sounds like a waste to me.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We made a similar trip a couple of months ago.

Spent the second half of August in NY state and MA - Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes (including Cooperstown) - and Boston. Four Mile SP, vineyard parking lots (Harvest Hosts), KOA Cooperstown in NY and Boston Minuteman near Boston were the campgrounds we used.

Spent the month of September in Maine, OOB, Portland, Boothbay Harbor, Trenton (Mt Desert Island), Lubec. KOA Saco, Wild Duck, Shore Hills, Narrows Too, Sunset Point were the campgrounds we used.

First week of Oct in NH and Vermont. Timberland and Essex Junction Fairgrounds (Tiffin Rally)

Second week of October in MD. Cherry Hill Park.

I only listed Campgrounds that I would go back to, there were a few that I didn't like. We avoided NYC, so no help on that from me.

I agree with the poster who said September is better than April/May in the NE. But, one thing I will say is that in Maine, things START shutting down the day after Labor Day. Much is still open, but a lot of things shut down or alter their hours of operation after Labor Day. Many campgrounds stay open until Columbus day, but don't count on everything being available (such as propane, access to game rooms, inventory in the store, etc), if they run out in Sept, they won't restock supply until the next spring.

Cherry Hill was still active and mostly full in mid-October.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 12-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
GREAT advice from all of you! Thank you!! However, spring is out of the question because we'll be coming back from our "snowbird trip" down south. We'll just be getting back to Michigan in April, and we enjoy our summer months here with the grandchildren. Sounds like the end of August and into September will be our best bet?? Maybe leave Michigan the end of August and hit the Finger Lakes first, then NH and Maine, then down to NYC and finally, Washington DC?

NYC is one of those places that I just have to see once! I want to see the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, …….maybe be in the audience on a morning show or two as it's filming.....experience the subways.....etc. Once will be good enough for us.

I think you nailed it on the timing. Fall in the Northeast is less crowded and has great weather. You will need reservations in New England especially for late September or October as some campgrounds shut down and the leaf peepers create a lot of demand.

The best place to stay for NYC is Liberty Harbor, which is very close to the Statue of Liberty and from which you can take a short ferry ride to Manhattan. You need reservations there long in advance. I strongly recommend Cherry Hill for DC as you can take the subway from right near there to anywhere in DC.

If you like the seashore, a great place to stop is Hampton Beach State Park. You can camp right on the inlet, steps from at the ocean, and be close to the boardwalk. Also, it's a short drive to Portsmouth NH which is a charming city with lots to do.

The Boston area is fabulous and has all kinds of things to do. Best places to stay there are either Normandy Farms in Foxboro or Minuteman Campground in Littleton.

Then there is Newport, RI. which is just fabulous. I don't have a campground recommendation for there but if you have never been to Newport I consider it it a must see.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote