Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #1

Oct. travel on rt. 395 from Barstow, CA

I'm looking for some advice on weather conditions and some must see spots along rt. 395 from Barstow,CA heading north into OR in Oct.
First and most important is the weather. Am I asking for trouble with ice and snow on the roads at that time of the year along that route?
I'm just getting started with my planning and your comments are needed as I'm not familiar with that road and area of the country.
Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #2

Coming from Washington/Oregon we've done 395 from the north to south quite a few times in October with no weather issues - not to say it couldn't happen. The aspen are gorgeous at that time of year. Mammoth Lakes area is worth a drive. Bodie State Park near Lee Vining is a great ghost town in excellent condition. Plan to spend a few days in Lone Pine and drive the movie roads. You could also do a day trip to Death Valley from Lone Pine. It will begin cooling down at that time.

The whole 395 route is gorgeous. Have a great trip!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The 395 in Oct all the way to the Oregon border should be no problem, maybe some wind. Winter doesn't really set in till Nov. and then all bets are off. It's a pretty drive and the highway is in good condition. There are campgrounds all the way up. Gas at Bishop, Carson City, Susanville and many more. Slow down for the small towns or pay the man.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:16 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Coming from Washington/Oregon we've done 395 from the north to south quite a few times in October with no weather issues - not to say it couldn't happen. The aspen are gorgeous at that time of year. Mammoth Lakes area is worth a drive. Bodie State Park near Lee Vining is a great ghost town in excellent condition. Plan to spend a few days in Lone Pine and drive the movie roads. You could also do a day trip to Death Valley from Lone Pine. It will begin cooling down at that time.

The whole 395 route is gorgeous. Have a great trip!
Living in So Cal and driving the 395 N more times than I can count, you are right. But, Death Valley is about 100 miles east of the 395 over some good grades. Mammoth is pretty dead that time of year, between snow and summer season, will be cold at night. Lone Pine is pretty small for a few days stay. Stop at Schots(sp) Bakery in Bishop or Mammoth. Shirwin Grade between Bishop and Mammoth is a real good one, 8 miles. It's all pretty once you get to the 395. The June lake Loop is a real pretty drive but might not be good for a large rig.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:25 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Early October? We do it every year. No problems, well, nothing weather related.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #6

OK, now I can officially start researching my trip. Sounds like one of the best times of the year to travel that route. I'll just make sure I'm out of the mountains before the snow flies.

I'd like to start on this trip tomorrow, but I have to wait another few weeks before heading out.

Tags
tow, travel