Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

October in Michigan

We are planning to camp in the UP of Michigan in early October. So far, we have planned stays at Indian Lake and McClain state parks. I have camped in the area for over 40 years but never this late in the season. I know the weather can be a bit chilly this time of year and was wondering just how much propane do travel trailer furnaces use? With an enclosed but not polar undercarriage, how cold does it have to be before I need to worry about frozen pipes?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have a TT or know your setup. My pipes and tanks are enclosed and 1 furnace duct goes in that area. So I have no problem in cold weather when we use it with the furnace operating. I would not be concerned in the UP using your rig if the temps got into the mid 20s overnite.

I can tell you propane doesn't last long in the lower temps. If you will have elec hookups, take some space heaters! In my 34 footer, I can burn up 25 gals of propane in a week easy in cold temps. The UP can be really iffy in Oct, so perpare for the worse and hope for the best.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the information. I have a 215swk FunFinder. As long as it gets in the 50 s during the day I would think I would only use the furnace to warm up in the morning, unless one of those early season snowfalls hit
Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #4

Be sure to check the campground closing dates of the parks in the UP. Some might close kinda early.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #5

I did think of that so, even though I don't like limiting myself with reservations, I did make some for part of the trip. My brother lives in Manistique so I do have an alternate plan.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Traverse Bay RV Resort, a really super place, closes 10/31. We just got back from a week trip to the Traverse area and we stayed there. Most CG's are done by that date as far north as they are.

On the other hand, the color and things to do in that area in mid to late October are second to none. So get enough propane and go!

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 - All Electric / 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit AWD / SMI Air Force One / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #7

Deek, . How did you like Traverse City? I actually lived there at one time. I may live in Ohio now, but in my heart I will always be a Michigander.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF you are in a trailer open just one propane tank or check the changeover valve daily, when tank one runs dri. RE-Fill, that is the best advice re-propane usage.

And I also carry electric heat

If you have exposed plumbing you may need to invest in some heat tapes.

If you have enclosed tanks.. Fill on-board fresh water and DRAIN THE HOSE you fill with.

likewise when you dump the waste tanks DRAIN THE HOSE even if you are on a full hook up site.

Beyond that.. Enjoy.. Michigan has a lot to offer in October. and remember, In the UP they have a town where it's Christmas All Year Long... Yup, Christmas, MI.

You can also get to Paradise (And a lovely area that is too) (Been there, was glad I made it)

But there is no Hell (That is in the lower Penna, been there, danced there.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice. With the pipes enclosed, it sounds like I will be okay.

Yes, I have been to Hell, Paradise, The Last Place on Earth, and the Gay Bar. Don't need a map when I go because if you go north or south you will hit Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, 28 or 2. East and west you hit 75, 41 or 94. Love the state and enjoy finding those out-of-the-way areas.