Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
# of days in Yellowstone and Grand Teton

We are scheduled for 5 days 6 nights in Yellowstone, and 2 days 3 nights in Grand Teton.

We plan on hiking and seeing the sights maybe a little fishing but not much else.
Fishing Bridge in YNP, yea I know it's a parking lot, and coulter bay or Flagg in GTNP. Already have res in YNP.

Will this be sufficient?

Oh, and a lot of relaxing

Thanks, JnJ
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After visiting both parks, I would suggest switching those reservations. The Tetons are beautiful, and many people miss out on so much there. At Yellowstone, you are literally on top of the worlds largest volcano that is overdue to erupt.
bodycoach2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #3

I have to disagree some. When we finally got to Yellowstone, I was lame and could walk no more than a few hundred years a day. In three days in Yellowstone, I got to see most of the big things but not much else. I am now of the opinion that it takes at least three days to even get the feel of Yellowstone.

Don't bother with binoculars, if you can see it at all, you can see it from where you will be safe. Be ready for Bison Jams lasting most of an hour.

Grand Tetons was great too and possibly better for hiking and fishing.

I can only hope to get back there.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #4

Been there a lot and you can have a great time with what you have allocated. Do not think you will have time to do everything but this will give you a good taste of the parks. This summer we are going back for a month. Three weeks in Yellowstone and one in the Tetons. Going in June do we can see more of the newborn animals. July has to many people in the park so if possible avoid that month.

Regardless enjoy the area. IMO nothing in the lower 48 compares.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #5

If that is the amount of time available, I think you have it about right. IMHO there is more variety spread over a large area in Yellowstone.

Just my 2c.

Enjoy the trip and be safe.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #6

During our past summer adventure, we went into YS from the north (Gardier) 2 days, and after hitting Missoula for several days, then West Glacier for 4 days, went to West Yellowstone, and went into the park 6 more days.

First off, YS requires A LOT, and I mean a lot of driving.

I think we got to just about everything in the park within a 2 hour or less round trip hike. And, were able to do it at a reasonable pace, getting into the park before 10:00, and generally heading back to camp by 4:00. We were very glad we had a "down" day planned in West YS, we really did need to take a break for a day (ok, I washed the coach, but that is something I really enjoy doing).

You need to plan most of a full day at the Old Faithful basin, there is so much more to see there than just OF; we were lucky enough to catch Grand and Riverside which make OF look like a side show. There we 2 other big ones that the expected eruptions just did not fit in. Expected times for 5 or 6 major ones are posted in one of the park web sites, and in the OF building.

The last day we were pretty much Yellowstoned out. Not much energy left, caught a few things on the near west side we had purposely not done to that point. But, when we sat down for a snack next to the Madison River, a Bald Eagle flew within 25 yards of us twice trying to snatch a duck floating down the river for a hearty meal.

It was certainly a highlight, and one of those things that can happen when you take your time. We also got a great look at a huge Bull Moose 50 years off the road on our last rainy / cold day in RMNP near the end of our trip.

We skipped Grand Tetons given the rest of our trip agenda, and my wife had been to Jackson Hole recently anyway......

Regards and great travels!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the replies.

We have the last two weeks of June for the trip getting there the first week with some time in Idaho and getting to YNP about Wednesday to try to minimize the crowds (June and midweek) then move to GTNP for the first part of the second week in a more relaxing period.

Because of the distances and travel time while in YNP we thought we would see minimal parts of the Northern zones and more of the Southern zones. We will be fishing and rafting in Idaho before getting into YNP and then a little more fishing and relaxing in GTNP before the mad dash home. My wife was there as a child and we have wanted to go for years. I just want to see the geysers as we don't have them here in Calif but Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon are my backyard.

Trapper Bob, maybe we will see each other so wave to everyone you see as it may be me, we will do the same.

Again, thank you for the replies, it's nice seeing the differing opinions then we don't feel bad adjusting our schedule based on what we feel at the time.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yellowstone question here. Having retired...so very flexible as far as time and dates, how do I do Yellowstone? Was there as a teen. Is it too late to plan for late May early June next year?

Coming back from Alaska this past Sept (10-11th) we were planning to stop for a day or two, but a batch of cold weather came in forecasting 8-10" snow on the mountain pass. Talking to a fellow RVer in the Bozeman campground he said you need to make reservations two years ahead??? Even in the shoulder seasons it was busy...

Thinking about 10 days in the park and maybe another 5 days in the Teton's. Is there a good website detailing campgrounds in or near the park? Would like to have part of the time at a campground that has at least electric service maybe for 4-5 of the days. The other 5-6 could be dry camping.

On the way back from AK. we stopped in a MT. visitor center and picked up a few maps, but really nothing about camping options.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe dated information but we went to Yellowstone & the Tetons back in 2009 on our way to Alaska. We were there in Mid June, minimal crowds. We only made reservations a couple days in advance, didn't have problems then but things change. We ended up in Glacier National Park right at the end of June and the crowds were picking up. July 1 is Canada Day and we tried to navigate through Banff, which was a disaster. Had to make a 20 point U-turn to get back out of the way of a parade.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:46 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Where did you stay? inside the park or outside?

Coming back from AK. Sept 8th ish we planned to spend a night in Lake Louise. That was a joke...It was so packed we were lucky to get a dry site in Jasper for one night. With the RV trailer in tow we couldn't even find a parking spot anywhere near Lake Louise.

That is why I'm worried about doing Yellowstone. 90% of the time in AK. there was no need for reservations.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:34 PM   #11

In Grand Teton we stay at Gros Ventre Campground at south end of park. There are a lot of sites 300 and about 35 with electric. You cannot reserve sites but just get there around 9:00 in the morning and check with desk for someone leaving a electric site if that is what you want otherwise non electric sites are usually open even in the busy summer july august.
Hike2mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanx, I punched up the camping available in the Teton's, Looks like you have:Colter Bay, Gros Ventre, Headwaters and Signal Mtn. Does anyone know the reservation window? 6 months out? I'm going to assume these are national park campgrounds run by a outside contractor.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
So I've been to Yellowstone at least 10 times from a pop up as a kid in 1972 to motorhomes to a weeklong backpack trip through the Lamar Valley in 2015. My son also worked as a backpack guide in 2015 and as a kayak guide during 2016 so we can recommend based on some current and extensive experience:

1. Fishing Bridge is a GREAT basecamp for exploring Ystone. My recommendation is to take the Lower Loop bus tour one day and the Upper Loop bus tour the next day. They pick you up right in Fishing Bridge. You will get a great introduction to Ystone and pick out places to return.
2. Bring your bike as you can bike from the campground to the store/restaurant and the Visitor Center right on the lake. Also you can fish right from the shore and catch cutthroats and rainbows.
3. Get out of your car and WALK! Last summer, the park was very crowded with tons of non-US tourists with different cultural ideas of blocking very tight boardwalks around thermal features. Go early, go late, go far off the road. That is the way to beat the crowds. For example, Artists Point at Yellowstone Falls. Jammed with people on the left side who want to see the falls. On the right is a trail to Clear Lake - 1/4 mile up the trail you are in solitude - a little further and you'll find a thermal area looking that same as when Coulter was there 200 years ago.

Enjoy!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
So I've been to Yellowstone at least 10 times from a pop up as a kid in 1972 to motorhomes to a weeklong backpack trip through the Lamar Valley in 2015. My son also worked as a backpack guide in 2015 and as a kayak guide during 2016 so we can recommend based on some current and extensive experience:
I was there as a teen maybe in 73', so I still have vivid memories. Do you think mid May is too early for Yellowstone (10 days YS & 5 in Teton's) ?