Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 05:53 AM   #15

Docj

Your guide follows pry much what we're planning. I looked at the Kiwanis campground and the New River Provincial Park. I'll make calls today. Hopewell Rocks sounds good too, a bit too far for our drive from Rangeley Maine but we may shown a couple of days there if time allows.
We will be going on to the Breton Highlands NP. I plan to go up the west coast to spend the days at Cheticamp then go around the north end to spend the more days near Ingonish.
From there well head down to the ferry. I didn't know that we'd need reservations, thanks for the heads up. We don't really have plans for PEI but will probably be there three or four days.
From there it will be an unhurried trip back to Illinois along the north side of the Great Lakes. I figure that the whole trip should take six or seven weeks.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #16

Gladie

The ferry sounded like a great idea but it doesn't look like we could take a car along. Is there translation around town?
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Oh Canada

If you come to Cape Cod during the summer do not attempt it on Friday from 3 PM to Saturday 2 PM, take that from some one who lives here, the traffic across the bridges if horrible, Friday night from people coming for the weekend , Saturday from weekly renters (rental cottages turn over on Saturday). When leaving the same applies, Saturday PM renters leaving through Sunday 7 PM, weekenders heading off Cape. If it is a rainy weekend the times will change according to the weather.

Now the suggestions. Do NOT drive the mid cape highway, unless you like limited access highways with a 11 mile suicide corridor at the end. Instead take route 6A, it is 2 lane, and wanders through those quant little Cape Cod villages. Just be careful, there is one underpass that will not accept larger rigs (both height and length) best to use the toad or TV. It will take you longer, but stop and see those villages. There are not too many CG's on the Cape and in July/August they are crowded so you might be better off staying in Middletown as suggested and do a long day trip to the Cape. There is one CG that we do use here on the Cape, Atlantic Oaks in Eastham (right near the Cape's elbow). It is close to the National Seashore and if you have bikes, it borders on the Bike a Trail (old railroad right of way that is now restricted to walkers and bicycles). If you have a larger rig take the mid cape highway, no clearance problem for any RV, then use your toad for day trips around the Cape.

Do not miss:
Chatham - quaint village with great restaurants. On the elbow of the Cape.
Provincetown - Artsy village, has seasonal ferry to Boston, whale watching, dune tours. At the far end of the Cape, called lower Cape
Hyannis - largest city on the Cape, harbor is great, also one of several places to get a ferry to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. Called mid Cape.
Falmouth - Woods a Hole and ferries to Martha's Vineyard. Closest to the bridges, called upper Cape.
All the little village harbors all over the Cape.

Go to the islands, Martha's Vineyard is the closest, all ferries have reasonable parking areas but they get filled quickly mid summer, particularly on the weekends. Both islands have good transit systems so don't waste money on bringing the car, besides some days car reservations are tough to get.

Eat lots of seafood, you will not get better, except Maine and lobstah.

Enjoy you trip, PM me if you have specific questions.

Dave
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
As JFXG recommends, the Best place to stay that will give you access to all areas you want would be in Middleboro (Middleborough), MA off I-495 near MA - 24, Above I stated Middletown above, that is not correct. Another alternative on Cape would be Cape Camp Resort www.capecampresort.com we have not stayed there but have heard good things (they are rated 10/10/10 by trailer life) only disadvantage I know of is they are located near Falmouth at the upper cape, everything on Cape is a ride from there, except Woods Hole and 1 of the ferry terminals.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:17 PM   #19

CWJK55:
Your wont need transportation......check out the p-townferry.com web site. The ferry will drop you off right in the center of all the activity on Commercial Street....parks, shops, galleries and restaurants. Stay on Commercial Street and walk out of the tourist area and admire all the cottages with gorgeous summer gardens. Not sure about what kind of transportation is available. At one time, and probably still, you could take a Jeep tour to see the amazing sand dunes and beaches. I would advise not driving unless it's early, early morning to avoid traffic and lights. I've been to Ptown numerous towns.
Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:29 AM   #20

The tidal bore at Truro is amazing to see. When the tide comes in, it literally pushes a river backward. You can hear it before you see it. I made a point of taking before & after pictures of a dock with boats. One pic has them floating, the next one they're laying on their sides high & dry. The tides are amazing. A day trip around the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia is also a must do.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada