Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2009, 05:24 AM   #1

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi all! We just recently moved into the Columbus, OH area from Virginia and we are looking for a campground for long weekends throughout the spring and summer. We had our favorite in VA for quick weekend trips and need help on finding one here in Ohio. We are a family of four with our two boys being 8 and 12 so we need a family campground with some activities. We are looking for a place with full hookups, maybe a lake, a pool, and any other goodies that may come with it. We stayed at the Cross Creek Resort when we moved here and it was nice, but it's only 5 minutes from the house, so kind of pointless to go there and I think Buckeye Lake KOA may also be too close.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2007 Chevy Silverado
JMJCSIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
You sure you want to live in Ohio Just kidding...Were from Cleveland area, but usually do the state parks of Ohio, PA., NY and VT. Since your in Columbus now, two must camp areas would be Hocking Hills area about an hour SE of Columbus. Also about an hour NE of you would be the Mohican area.
Hocking Hills State Park area has some good hiking along a ravine with some recess caves. You have "Old Mans Cave", "Cedar Falls", "Rock House". The state park campground there has a nice pool and is right next to the cave and ravine area. There are also many private campgrounds nearby. Here is a link to my photo section for Hocking Hills
The Mohican State Park area is the canoeing capital of Ohio. The Mohican state park campground there offers about 30-35 full service sites and about another 125 electric sites. It is by far the most popular state park in the state. In Ohio you can reserve 6 months in advance. If your planning a trip here for a summer weekend you better do it 6 months ahead to get a site. The campground is in a valley along a creek that is used for kayaking and tubing. Mohican & Hocking Hills are the only two state parks in Ohio to have pools. Mohican offers a lot of things to keep the kids busy, trust me. There are also 7-8 other private campgrounds in that area. The main river for canoeing is located just outside of the state park campground. And on the weekends it is wall-to-wall canoes. Here are a few pix's from my trips there Mohican Halloween Weekend Oct 08' and Mohican 04'
If your in for a little more of a drive, (Maybe 2 or 2-1/2 hours) Us fellow IRV2'ers are having a Memorial Day Weekend outing just north of Canton Ohio at Cutty's Sunset campground. I have a hold on 12 full service sites which at this time there is 1 back-in and 3 pull-thur ones left. Here is the link to that thread Cutty's Memorial Day Weekend Outing We get together a few times a year and are family campers from NE Ohio, Western PA. and Columbus.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, welcome to the Buckeye State, JMJCSIM! We have many nice CG's, both private & public that, I think, will fit the bill. We're in S. Delaware county & like you, although we like Cross Creek, with it being so close to our home, it's hardly worth loading up the coach to get there. Don't factor out our lovely state parks just because some don't have fhu sites. Even for long weekends, they are great parks with lots of things to do.

2 resources to begin with are Ohio Campground Owners Association and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR). You can search for CG's, get overviews, see descriptions & ammenities. If you go to the CG Reviews section here on iRV2, I've reviewed 13 OH CG's so far. For further reviews, check out RV park reviews website. I've done at least 30 reviews there for CG's in OH, PA, WV, IN, KY & TN.

State parks with fhu's: <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Alum Creek<LI>East Fork<LI>East Harbor<LI>Geneva<LI>Indian Lake<LI>Mohican<LI>Punderson<LI>Pymatuning<LI>Rocky Fork<LI>Salt Fork<LI>South Bass Island<LI>West Branch[/list]My favorites are Mohican, West Branch & Salt Fork. If you want a list of my favorites that don't have fhu's, email or PM me & I can send you a list.

Here are a few of the OH private CG's we really like (I can list more, but I don't want to overwhelm you ):

<LI>Whispering Hills RV Park<LI>Scenic View Family CG (changed to a KOA since we were there in Aug 08)<LI>Cutty's Sunset Camping Resort<LI>Evergreen Park RV Resort<LI>Lock 30 Woodlands<LI>Cedarbrook Campground<LI>Natural Springs Resort<LI>Baylor Beach Park

I've got tons more private CG's that are within about a 3-4hr drive of Columbus that I'd be happy to list for you in an email or PM.

We'd welcome you to come to the iRV2 2009 National Rally at Evergreen in June. It'd be a chance to check out one of the best private CG's in OH, have a great time & meet a bunch of iRV2 members. If ya want to ease into the OH camping group, please join a smaller group of us at Cutty's for Memorial Day weekend. Check out the posting in the North Central forum (or click the link Jim provided in his post above). We've got a few fhu pull-thru's & back-in's that we're holding aside just for members like you. We'd love to have you.

Well, I've rattled on enough for this post. We're looking forward to meeting you!

Lori-

Oh, & Superslif is our region's expert state park site guru. If you need to know what the good sites are at our state parks, he's the go-to guy! He knows his stuff!
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I haven't been there yet, but may I suggest Evergreen RV Resort in Dundee. It's the rally site for the IRV2 National Rally in June and is only a little over 2 hours from Columbus. Far enough that you feel you're not in your own backyard, but close enough you don't have to spend a lot time, or fuel, getting there.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hi Lori, I was just about to PM ya about the new campers to the Columbus area, especially since you and Dave live there. I think if their looking for full service sites you would know best.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NLOVNIT,

Sorry, I missed seeing Evergreen on your list as I was typing mine. First the mind and now the eyes. I wonder what will be the next to go.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
No sweat, historyljc. I've been working on this reply for over an hour. It takes quite a while to get all those URL's cut & pasted in. You probably caught my post as I was editing it (I kept posting it to see how it looked & then editing it for content).

Lori-
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 01-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It got us a plug for the National Rally anyway. I'm going to do my best to work it into my schedule (get DW's OK) this year if at all possible.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Y'all are awesome. Lori, keep the campgrounds comin! It looks like a great summer to explore Ohio and the surrounding areas. Hopefully, we will be able to make it to both irv2 meetings in the spring. I look forward to meeting all of you. Thank you all for the information.

2007 Chevy Silverado
JMJCSIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #10

Can anyone recommend a campground on the I-75 corridor just north of Cincinnatti? It would have to be big rig friendly. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
When are you looking to be there, SewBzzzy? Most all the private CG's in this neck of the woods are closed for the season & any that are open are primitive or electric only.

To my knowledge, there isn't anything in the I-75 north corridor close to Cinci. More of a chance north on I-71 with Caesar Creek State Park, Cowan Lake State Park, or Cedarbrook Campground - all of which are in the 45 min to an hour north of Cinci.

Note to JMJCSIM: We got an extension on the hold sites at Cutty's for Memorial Day. There are 3 nice pull thru's or 1 nice back-in just waitin' for ya.

Lori-
Old 03-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #12

Hi All, We are traveling from Upstate NY to Michigan's Upper Penninsula in early June. Any recommendations for a park in the area of I-75 at I-90? I looked at the links posted earlier, Maumee Lake State Park looks nice. Any opinions? We don't need full hookups, but electric is nice.

Keith
Old 03-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Try East Harbor State park

East Harbor State park is located across the bay from Sandusky Ohio. You would have to take Route 2 along Lake Erie. Its about 2-3 miles from the interstate. It is a very large state park with about 550 sites. You will want section "B" which is all pull thru's with electric. Here is a link to my IRV2 picture album for EH. East Harbor One of the pictures will show a section "B" site. In that area is the Marblehead lighthouse and good fishing from campgrounds sites. Ceder Point is also about a 20 minute ride away. If you jumped on Route 2 where it meets I-90 just east of Cleveland. you would save tolls. After your nights stay, just travel Route 2 until it joins up with I-75 in Toledo. You will save the toll fees there too.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you're staying on the turnpike & just needing a quick in/out overnight w/electric ($15), there's a service plaza at about mile marker 76 westbound.

Otherwise, I'd either go with Jim's recommendation for East Harbor SP or Maumee Bay SP ($26 for electric only sites). You won't be disappointed in either state parks.

Lori-