Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #1

Ohio State parks camping - alcohol?

We're looking to camp at a State Park in Ohio this summer. On their website, it says that alcohol isn't allowed. Anybody have any experience with the enforcement of this rule?
randren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Enjoy adult beverages in the privacy of your RV and you should be okay. The park rangers won't come around inspecting your refrigerator for beer and wine, if that is what you mean. If you drink outside, use a koozy for your beer can and don't make an arse of yourself. The rule is a tool for the rangers to get rid of unruly campers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I see this is your 1st post. Welcome to iRV2

Although I don't condone breaking rules, Richard is correct. As long as you are discreet you won't be bothered.

On a related to OH SP rules note, due to the infestation of the emerald ash borror, our parks don't allow firewood to be brought in. Don't buy your wood from the campstore, though - it's high priced & crappy wood. Better to get it locally from a nearby farmer or such.

Also, if you post what SP you're visiting, I can let you know what's to do in the area/good places to eat.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #4

I agree whole heartedly, I never let it bother me. Most SP's have that rule, so I either drink inside or use the big red cups. Either notice just how many people drink out of them!!!

Maumee Bay SP in Oregon, OH is one of the nicest SP's that we have ever been to. It is also one of the big reasons I no longer pay any attention to the CG directories. They had the site sizes as tiny (Trailerlife 15' x 40'), when in fact they are huge. Plus, the park has a very nice golf course.

RV Park Reviews :: Oregon, Ohio ( OH ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1445.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	9474  
Old 04-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies, folks. We keep it pretty low key with the kids around (I guess they're a reason for requiring a couple bevvies!).

Lori, thanks for the welcome. This looks like an awesome website. I can't wait to find the time to check it out thoroughly. As far as the wood, we don't bring it anywhere. The parks we're looking at, in order of preference, are Salt Fork, Wolf Run, and Barkcamp. Any input?

Gracias, Rich.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, what the others said. I enjoy my beverage-of-the-day inside or will take the occasional grape-juice in a big red cup outside the RV.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'll send ya a PM, Rich. In the meantime, check out my reviews of Salt Fork & Barkcamp in the Campgrounds section & also see the photos of them in my albums (link in sig).

Lori-
Old 04-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #8

Great photos, Lori. Thanks for the help. Looks like the sites in your pictures were a little bit more private at Barkcamp than at Salt Fork. Stonewall in W.V. looked like the sites were sort of in the open, also. Am I reading your pics correctly? One thing that we like to do is walk to the beach from our site. From what I've read, these parks that we're looking at don't offer us that preference, but ya can't have it all I guess. Thanks again, Rich.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We camp a lot at the Ohio SP's. I always keep mine in a can cozy while outside. Have never had a problem. The park rangers are on the outlook for collage age campers whopping it up and in clear observation of being drunk. Keep it low key and you'll be fine.......

We have camped at West Branch, Findley, Punderson, Mohican, Hocking Hills, Burr Oak, Mosquito, Pymatuning, East Harbor, Mt Gilead, Guilford Lake, Geneva, Salt Fork and will be trying Stone Lick this summer....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thank you, Rich, glad I could help. Did you get my PM (private message) with more area info? The pictures reflect the area we were in so, yes the sites shown are open at SF. I don't get around to ALL the sites, though, when I take photos, so there are some tree'd sites at SF - just I didn't get pics of them. I can tell you, at SF, it's a LONG walk to the beach from the CG. As a matter of fact, it's a LOOONG way to the CG entrance from when you turn off of Rt-22 - I think 4 or 5 miles. You'll think you're driving forever.

Check out Jim's (Superslif - above post) albums too. He takes much more detailed site photos & is our area's resident expert on our state parks. If ya want to know what a site is like or if you'll fit in it, he knows way more than I.

Lori-
Old 04-16-2011, 03:57 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanx Lori for the compliment .

If your ever in the northeast section of the state (Ohio) I know the sites by heart at: West Branch, Findley, Mohican. The other ones ( NE Ohio State Parks) I have a good knowledge of.

Also in Northwest & Southwest PA. I have a database of sites at: Laurel Hill, Ohiopyle, Cook Forest, Clear Creek, Kettle Creek, Ole Bull, Prince Gallitzin, Jamestown, Tuttle, Hyner Run

We'll be at Stone Lick (near Cincinnati) , Hocking Hills & Mohican this summer. In PA. we'll be at Clear Creek and Hyner Run this summer....
Old 04-16-2011, 05:03 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Back to the original question - Texas parks have the same alcohol policy however it seems to be "don't ask - don't tell" as we've never seen nor heard of any enforcement action.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:55 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Some of the campgrounds with the no alcohol rule are referred to as "red cup city"
First time we saw the rule we thought the same thing. What kind of archaic nonsense is that? Turns out that in almost every case if you keep it down and don't advertise there is no problem. It is a good way to keep the beer blast type parties out.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
A few years back at one of the Ohio State Parks there was an organized wine tasting weekend. One of the pop-up groups sponsored the event, and been for years. Pictures showed 10- 20 bottles of wine on peoples picnic tables in their sites....