Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #1

Question Ohio Turnpike near Toledo

We are leaving soon and traveling to New york with our Motor Home. First long trip. First pulling our car. I am only able to travel around four hours a day so need to plan a place to stop.

Anyone know of a place to pull our rig through so we don't have to maneuver it and back up, around the border of Ohio near Toledo? Either Michigan or Ohio? I think there is a turnpike with a few spots there for rvs, but I think that would mean backing in. Also it says the parking lot can be used, but we don't really want to run the diesel all night and could need heat.

Not looking for a fancy place, just ease of access and electricity for heat. I'm looking at reviews for spots near that area but we have been so rushed trying to get ready that it's overwhelmng. All suggestions would be appreciated.

We have a campground planned for New York so the second night won't be a problem.

Am I posting this in the right forum?

Thank you!
Peggy and Paul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Peggy and Paul,

If your house batteries are in good shape, you should not have to run the diesel engine or generator all night for your heat. I have run my furnace and fan all night with no problems just off the coach batteries.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #3

Thank you. We have so much to learn!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
There is a Flying J on I280 very near the Oh tpk Stony Ridge entrance. The turnpike has spaces at the service plaza. I haven't used it with the MH but have seen other Rv's using the area. Just for over night you should be fine using the propane. You should be able to access without having to back up.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 AM   #5

Thanks Stearn. We've decided we are going to use that plaza for overnight. I think I read that it has some spots for electric hookup, but if not, or if not easily accesible, we'll just use the parking lot. Tom and Katharine think the house batteries would be ok for a night but it might be warm enough that, with a couple blankets, we won't need heat.
Thanks again for the response!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They do have electric hook ups at the service plaza's and there is a dump there when you pull out from the rv site. I have a 43' ellipse not sure if I could fit in one of the rv spots with the toad.
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote