Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
OK Help!!! Snakes in RV or snake...

Seriously
my boxers face was swollen Thursday at 4pm we noticed her face. I thought owe it's an allergic reaction. Took her to vet this am. he said snake or spider bite.
It got hot today since our site had no shade. We packed up an came home. After unloading I noticed my shepherd was touchy about his back. He has multiple bite marks on his back and they are oozing. Yes fang Marks. Oh my god. Seriously What the bleep.
So I called my vet. He said to give Max some of BBs meds he'll see us in am. I am freaking out!!!
I am terrified of snakes. And to know they bit my baby's.
My little dog shows no bites no symptoms thank god.
but who do I call? ? Pest control? ?
I'm in tears....
and how do I keep these critters out of my rv???
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 10:09 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All I would know is to get someone in there to remove one snake at a time until they are gone. Never had anything like that and hope I never will
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #3

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagamore View Post
All I would know is to get someone in there to remove one snake at a time until they are gone. Never had anything like that and hope I never will
I haven't visually seen it. But my poor shepherds back has a minimum of 5 bites. He won't let me look look. My boxer I believe she took the bite in the mouth itself. I just thought she got hit while we was walking and I just didn't see it. We got home unloaded RV. Husband says Max is touchy on back. I got looking an my goodness they are fang marks . I couldn't imagine a spider with that big of fangs and able to bite thru all his hair!

Who the heck do you call?
Old 07-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #4

Sounds like since you are lucky and didn't lose one of your babies, the snake is nonpoisonous. But you did say fang marks that make me wonder if it is a spider instead.

A snake with fangs would have killed, a snake is easier to get out, just leave the doors open and with no food it's gone.

A spider problem I would try an exterminator at your first opportunity.

Please keep us up to date on that issue, and good luck...
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #5

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Sounds like since you are lucky and didn't lose one of your babies, the snake is nonpoisonous. But you did say fang marks that make me wonder if it is a spider instead.

A snake with fangs would have killed, a snake is easier to get out, just leave the doors open and with no food it's gone.

A spider problem I would try an exterminator at your first opportunity.

Please keep us up to date on that issue, and good luck...
Oh well if my vet says spider I'll bomb the crap out of that RV daily and spray it.
I looked up his marks on the great internet and I believe they do look like snake bites 2 very obvious puncture wounds. They are not that wide apart. Ill see if he'll let me measure one. I have the creepy crawly ewe thing going on right now.
Well the fang marks are an inch apart from what I could measure. He has a seepage hole oozing also. 8 am can't come soon enough.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #6

While I was teaching auto shop at a local high school one of our new science teachers had a delema, one of his snakes had escaped its cage in the cab of the uhaul truck. He came to me and asked any thing we could do! Ended up disassembling dash on a brand new chev uhaul. We got the snake and my students got good experience and a story to tell there friends!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, that's terribly disturbing. Hope your dogs do ok. Good luck tomorrow.
I would have come home too, and no camping until the exterminator finds the culprit.

Look up snakes indigenous to your area to see if any are poisonous. I know California sure has them! Now it makes me want to make sure all the holes are filled!
Let us know...good luck.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #8

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Vet said that if the bite on boxer was snake its non poisonous.
I looked closer on shepherd. It looks like a row of teeth u shaped. I think the fang looking places may be where the puss is oozing out from the infection of the bite. If the vet says I can shave an area or 2 I'll do it an post the picture. I'm a groomer so I know what I'm doing there. I feel so bad for him an the boxer.
My little girl shows no signs of bite marks but she threw up all over the place. I took her temp she's ok. Boxers temp was up a 1 1/2 degree at vets.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:00 AM   #9

Well thats good news, that means the snake was disturbed by the sudden interest and went into it's defensive mode.

I was bitten by one of these last year while at home in my backyard. It seems some birds took an interest in a garter snake trying to get into the rear frame area of our 5'fer.

I was lucky enough to just happen to notice the bird activity and went over to investigate. As I got closer, I thought I saw it drop out from under the trailer and slither under the lawn mower sit next to it.

As I reach down to move the mower by a wheel, this 4 foot garter got me on the finger.

I'm surprised now at how mean this thing was, as I've handled garter snakes in the past and had never been bitten.

Anyway, yes the bite will get infected, as mine did although I cleaned and dressed it. It's also aggravatingly painful, little needle teeth itch and burn.

Keep the puss squeezed out and clean with peroxide, or what ever else the doc tells you.

Leave the doors open on your trailer and the snake will leave on it's own, it has no reason to stay unless you have mice for it to eat.

Also just in case it is trapped in a cabinet, open them all so it has a free and clear route out.

You may want to give it a week just in case it's in the walls and having a hard time navigating.

The last this you want to do is kill it, and killing it in the trailer is a bad thing because the smell will be terrible.

You mite get lucky and see it coming out. this way you will know for sure it's gone. Black snake are the same way and love to get into the house. They're a little more aggressive than the garter, but still nonvenomous. What I mean by aggressive is, they will bite any time disturbed, but will run away first if possible.

Cats are very good at running snakes off. If you have one, let it explore your trailer and see if it takes an interest in any one spot.

Please keep us informed and hope that info helps, stay calm....
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fancy, if that would have been any of my dogs, and it happened in the RV, you should have heard them yelp, and they would have let you know where to look for what ever bit them? They would have been scratching and growling like crazy trying to get at it!
So, that leads me to believe it happened on one of your walks, and I still think they would have let you know? But for a german shepherd to be bitten on the back, sounds like he was laying down.
Hope they are all OK, and you find what bit them!
Rail!
Old 07-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #11

Get these monkey fried snakes out of my coach! Actually I think the last post makes sense probably happened outdoors. Hey is it possible your dog's were playing a bit rough with each other?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:25 AM   #12

Now for the silver lining...... the mice are gone!
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #13

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Fancy, if that would have been any of my dogs, and it happened in the RV, you should have heard them yelp, and they would have let you know where to look for what ever bit them? They would have been scratching and growling like crazy trying to get at it!
So, that leads me to believe it happened on one of your walks, and I still think they would have let you know? But for a german shepherd to be bitten on the back, sounds like he was laying down.
Hope they are all OK, and you find what bit them!
Rail!
We left the coach without the dogs to fish then again for a little drive. So they could of been bitten while we was gone?
For that many bites on his v A client we would of seen the darn snake I'd if hoped.
Calling bet in 30 minutes for our appointment.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Years ago we left the house and when we came home our two cat were acting funny. One would not go into the family room. The DW turned on the light and a small 18" Copperhead snake was curled up under our wooden rocking chair. He didn't last long.

Cats are wary animals, good hunters and can spot those types of unwanted creepy, crawly critters. If it's something they don't want to deal with (snake) they will still alert you to their presence.

TeJay