Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2016, 07:04 AM   #1

Old Southern Plantations/Ghost Tours Along I-10

I've pretty much lived on the IRV2 forum since we got our class A so I want to tap into the great knowledge base for some planning help.
Our Great Grandson graduates from training at Fort Huachuca, AZ Feb 9th so we're headed out from NE Florida to SE Arizona the first week of February in our recently acquired 2012 Bounder 35K. The trip out will be just the two of us with not a lot of sightseeing on the way out. Our daughter and SIL will fly out for the graduation and to spend a few days in SE AZ, then come back with us in the RV. We have reservations at Tombstone Territories RV Resort in Huachuca City, AZ.
The daughter is addicted to the ghost hunter stuff and wants to visit some of the old southern plantations and gravesites. We've been to New Orleans so that ticket is punched.
The basic return plan is to take 2~3 days from AZ to LA then tour the southern part of the gulf states until we hit FL. I'm looking for suggestions not too far off I-10 to visit thru LA, MS, and AL.
I'd like to stop at a decent RV park for the night, visit the area the next day, and continue on the following day to the next site.
I want to make the final stop at the USS Alabama so we'll stay at a park near there.
We won't be towing a car so a short term rental, Uber or cabs will be used for local transportation.
Thanks for any suggestions.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #2

I would think Natchez Mississippi we have tour most of them some twice the tour guides are very good every body was we was talking to old man at the gate seen we had Texas tags his grandfather ran a way station for stage coaches in west Texas .
Old 01-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #3

Laura Plantation and San Francisco Plantation are wonderful choices in Louisiana. Tours readily available from New Orleans. World War II museum in New Orleans is a MUST. Downtown and walkable from French Quarter.
French Quarter RV a bit pricy for me but located at edge of FQ and walkable to all. Add cost of transport to n from other parks compensates.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #4

From where you're staying in AZ I'm sure you're aware of nearby Tombstone. Also in the area are Fairbanks and Charleston.

In New Mexico at the AZ border at Lordsburg is Shakespeare Ghost Town.

Google them! Have fun!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
LSU has a old plantation restored in Baton Rouge.

We spent most of a day there. Excellent!
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #6

Thanks. Those are some good suggestions to start planning with.
We stayed at the French Quarter RV Resort for a week a couple of summers ago. Nice park and within walking distance to the Quarter. It's right next to the cemetery where Marie Laveau is supposed to be buried. The wife and daughter were thrilled with that.
We'll have about 4 days in the Tombstone area so we hope to see the obligatory sights like the OK Corral. I've been told that Bisbee is also a neat, artsy type of place so I'm sure we'll go there also.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As you're heading west toward Tombstone you'll pass a bunch of signs advertising a place called "The Thing" - stop in for the best kitschy tourist attraction in the southwest! Admission is $1 if I recall...
Old 01-23-2016, 06:24 AM   #8

Be sure to visit the Fort Huachuca museum while your there.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohn View Post
Be sure to visit the Fort Huachuca museum while your there.
That's on the list for the few days we'll be in the area.