Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

Omaha NE to Custer SD, recommended route?

Have never been this route, going to Custer SD from Omaha and would like to do a 2 RON in the middle some where. Could do the I 80 thing until heading north to Custer, but would like to consider the northern routes if can find out something about road conditions and good things to see and experience.
We have a 33' class A with tow vehicle. It does not like steep hills.
Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.
Linda
Linda M M B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 04:37 AM   #2

This was part of our route 2 years ago coming from PA and heading out to Yellowstone and other points west. We took 29 out of Omaha up to 90 in SD. Ended up staying at a Walmart in Mitchell SD, which was great. I bet there were 50 other RV's and campers there... really felt at home and safe. There was a Cabela's connected to the same parking lot.

From there we headed out the next morning across 90 and took 240 down into the badlands and back up to Wall where we got back on 90 and headed to Custer.

29 and 90 are an easy drive, flat and smooth... a monkey could drive an RV across those stretches of land... 240 is by no stretch of the imagination a "difficult" drive, but I suppose some people might not appreciate the switchbacks and hilly terrain once you get into the bowels of the badlands.

240 is also called the badlands loop scenic byway. It must be about 30 miles total, and takes you past some tremendously scenic stuff... it is a very hilly route, and there are some points along the path that kind of make you pucker up a bit... but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Most of the people driving that route are sight seeing, so you can take your time navigating the curves and hills, and if i recall, there are plenty of places to pull over and let the traffic go by if you're feeling self conscious about your speed.

We did this route in a 35' motorhome. I wouldn't be afraid to add a towed vehicle behind me and do it again.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
A cross NE trip not on the interstate is a boring trip. I think I would take I-29 north to I-90 and across toward Rapid. Just west of Ellsworth AFB look for a Flying J on the right and turn left there toward Hermosa. (hiway 79)

In Hermosa, you can turn right toward Custer State Park and then thru the park to the city of Custer.
Have not stayed at the WalMart in Mitchell, but there is a Cabelas there that invite you to overnite. Lots of parking and neighbors when you do stop
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #4

Thanks for input. Maybe should have mentioned we have done this WA-MN-WA trip for the past 6 years and always take I90. Have our favorite stops along the way; in SD, Interior just south of Badlands, Mitchell city campground and others along the way. But sister moved to Omaha, so now there and looking to get back up as far as Custer going a different route. What is 20 like going through Valentine and Chadron? Not big on cities, like rocks and trees and scenery, and the little town museums. But if road conditions are poor, will probably take I80 out as far as Ogallala or Sidney and go N/NW from there.
Thanks, Linda B
Linda M M B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Look into connecting with hi way 2. Nice scenic drive and when you get to Alliance you can hook up with 385 and head right up to Custer.