Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Omaha to Colby KS.

Hi All,
We are head from home here in Eastern Iowa to Colorado. Along the way we have to go from the Omaha area to Colby, KS (a family thing). Mapquest has me getting off I-80 at Lexington,NE onto US 283 to US 36 to KS 383 to US 83 to US 25 to Colby. My question for someone familiar with this area is, are these good roads for a Motorhome Towing? Usually I don't worry to much about the US highways, but the state roads sometimes get you into trouble. I would appreciate any guidance you all might have. Thanks in advance

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

Those are my old stomping grounds. Last year I did almost that same route in reverse, from Colby to the Lexington area. Those are all decent hiways, nothing too fancy or poorly maintained. It's thru a very rural area, but what is nice is not a lot of traffic. But be careful, there may be 3 hills between Lex and Colby.

I assume you'll catch I-70 at Colby to take to Colorado. Watch for strong south winds on that E-W hiway thru western Kansas. It makes driving a tall moho a challenge. You have to steer slightly into the wind to keep the rig going straight. This is fine until you cross under one of the many underpasses that block the wind. You will soon learn to let the steering wheel go straight in the underpass and again turn slightly into the wind as you transition out of the underpass shelter effect. Kind of hard to explain, but if it's windy you'll soon know what I mean. Have a great trip!