Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Opinions on fall in the Keys.......

I have been searching on here/web for a couple of weeks now on staying/camping in the Keys.......I really like the looks of Bluewater Key RV Resort........pricey.........but all 5 star reviews. So , with this in mind, tell me where you have stayed and liked.......I also need room to park our 30' enclosed trailer while there(And be able to navigate off the road into the resort/campground). Bluewater Key wants $15/day to park it..........and she said it would be parked so I still could use it(Door's). I do not need to be right on top of Key West, we can ride in. We are looking at 3 weeks in October, and as I just found out today, Fantasy Fest is the 18th-Nov.1st(I want to avoid this) and Bluewater is booked for it. I was hoping that other's could tell me about the place's they have stayed, and if my outfit, being 70' long would be a problem getting in and out, and the weather that time of year(End of Sept. -Oct.). Many thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #2

Have fun in Florida.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
The only thing I know about Florida is they have huge oysters...not to be missed and if I manage to make it out there when you are there, maybe we can scuba dive together.
That would be great Rodger........we are going to have to "Ditch" the ribs though.........Lobster & Corona will be on the menu
And , I will have a good selection of my homemade wine........aged for 5 years.......yum-yum.
(You must of changed your post?)
Old 01-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #4

Check out the KOA on Sugarloaf Key. When we stayed at Bahia Honda SP last year, we drove thru and took a look at it. Not as ritzy as Bluewater...not as expensive either. Should have room for your rig, they have a bar on site and you have a nice short ride to Key West. You will still be running your ACs in October. Fantasy Fest? Me neither.... I made many poker runs to Key West on my '95 FXSTC though...
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I have been searching on here/web for a couple of weeks now on staying/camping in the Keys.......I really like the looks of Bluewater Key RV Resort........pricey.........but all 5 star reviews. So , with this in mind, tell me where you have stayed and liked.......I also need room to park our 30' enclosed trailer while there(And be able to navigate off the road into the resort/campground). Bluewater Key wants $15/day to park it..........and she said it would be parked so I still could use it(Door's). I do not need to be right on top of Key West, we can ride in. We are looking at 3 weeks in October, and as I just found out today, Fantasy Fest is the 18th-Nov.1st(I want to avoid this) and Bluewater is booked for it. I was hoping that other's could tell me about the place's they have stayed, and if my outfit, being 70' long would be a problem getting in and out, and the weather that time of year(End of Sept. -Oct.). Many thanks in advance!

Sunshine Key is an Equity Lifestyles location just west of the 7 mile bridge. They run specials for Sept and Oct. I signed up for both months for $330/mo plus electric at their booth at the super show. Not a resort but a fairly nice place with a good pool area. It's about 40 miles from Key West. You may have to visit one of their booths at a show or rally to get this price level.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:26 AM   #6

El Mar is on Stock Island and can accommodate your rig-- but they are most likely book for Fantasy Fest.... which by the way is a blast. If you want to be a bit further away, look into Knight's key-- they too can take care of your size and have a separate storage area. It's right next to the 7 miler bridge in Marathon and is 47 miles to KW
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:47 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
IMHO I would see if you can get into Boyd's. Yes it is tight, but there were just 3 45' Prevost's here, and your 40' will fit easily. They can take your trailer and park it in the back (besides the boats & jet skis there is one 28' tri-axle stacker trailer back there too). For me, the thing about Boyd's is the people; very friendly and plenty of good stories. Also plenty of Harleys so you'll have lots to talk about.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:32 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Reservations made......

We just made reservations for a month at "Point of View RV Resort" in Key Largo.........( Point of View Key Largo RV Park )
I know, it is 2-1/2 hrs from Key West.......but during our stay, Fantasy Fest is going on for 2 weeks, most all place's were booked close to Key West starting the 18th . So, we did not want to be right in the "Thick" of things..........We will have our Hog & JK with us to travel and explore the Key's. Most everywhere wanted extra to store our enclosed trailer......and a lot of the places did not even have storage for it,,,,,,,,due to lack of space. The girl that I talked to this morning, said that being on a "End Lot" like we reserved(Site #42) that we would , more than likely, be able to just leave the trailer hooked up , I liked that also, as we use the trailer everyday as a garage for the Hog..........And no charge for up to 6 people staying with you! My brother, and my wifes Father and his wife are coming down to visit, she said no extra charges for them! Super!
This resort is new, I guess, opened in 2012???? But, after looking at all the option's, we decided that this place would work the best for us...........
Thank you all for your time to post
Old 01-31-2015, 04:39 PM   #9

We stayed a week at Point of View last September we had a great time. I think you will enjoy your stay. If you have pets i have heard from others that the surface material (crushed coral) is hard on their paws
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:46 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
We stayed a week at Point of View last September we had a great time. I think you will enjoy your stay. If you have pets i have heard from others that the surface material (crushed coral) is hard on their paws
Thanks for the post Steve It is going to be a long wait over the summer our travel pet is a African Grey Parrot.........he will think he is back home in the Keys........
Old 02-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I stay at Sunshine Key every winter. Have been at all the others including Bluewater, Boyds and KOA. Cant beat Sunshine Key for the price. Highly recommend it. You don't have to be a member to stay here. Plenty of storage space for trailers.
Enjoy.
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
We've stayed at Point of View and Blue Water Key. POV is your best bet for your rig. Beautiful sunsets! We loved both of them ... POV has no trees - but October should be fine.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #13

Don't forget that fall is often hurricane season there. The single highway can make evacuating the Keys difficult.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Don't forget that fall is often hurricane season there. The single highway can make evacuating the Keys difficult.

Joel
Hi Joel.......I should be first out staying in Key Largo.... (Oct 10-Nov 6)

When is hurricane season?
The Atlantic hurricane season formally begins June 1 and ends November 30. Historically, the chances of hurricane activity are greater between August 15 and October 1. During the past 100 years, the historical average frequency of a hurricane impacting somewhere in the state of Florida is once every two years. In the Keys, the historical 100-year average frequency of a hurricane of any category impacting is one in every 4.5 years.

Welcome to the Florida Keys and Key West Official Tourist Development Website