Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #15

Evergreen Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy View Post
We will be traveling from Georgia to Yellowstone NP, Teton NP, Glacier NP, then west to Port Angeles, Wa (Victoria, BC), south to Seaside Beach and Lincoln City, OR.

Our plans are about complete thru Lincoln City, Oregon.

Instead of heading south to Crater Lake from Lincoln City, and down thru N. California, should we consider looping back east to see the Columbia River Gorge, then go south thru Bend and on to Crater Lake??

The loop would add about 120 miles, 2 hours drive time, plus sight- seeing time, and a night (probably in Bend rather than near Crater Lake).

Thanks in advance!!

It is a wonderful and scenic drive.
livinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 12:28 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
If you are going into Yellowstone in September be prepared for snow! You will most likely be driving in it, we did twice when we were there and we had snow in July (10 inches). Be sure and consider a Visit to Cody, WY. They have a great museum and the Chief Joseph and Bear Tooth highways are nearby and both are beautiful (but do not drive your RV on them).
It looks like you are going around the Olympic peninsula on Hwy. 101. If you are be sure and stop at the Hoh Rain Forest in Olympic NP. Most of the northern beaches in Washington state are private and rocky. We like Oregon beaches much better and there are a lot of State Parks.
I would take the Columbia river gorge route but DO NOT cross the Columbia on the Hood River bridge! This is a quote from the Hood River Port Authority:
"This is a very NARROW bridge. The width of a lane from center is 9 feet, 10-3/4 inches. The width of a lane between the edge of the centerline stripe to the face of the bridge guardrail is 9 feet, 4-3/4 inches. Large RVs are advised to cross at Cascade Locks or The Dalles."
Bend is a really nice city. Be sure to drive to the top of Pilot Butte (in the middle of town) and Lava Butte (9 miles south).
May the winds be at your back and safe travels,
Gary
Old 08-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #17

If you don't stay on the coast south of Lincoln City, you will miss scenery like this...Yes, that is my driver side mirror on the left edge of the picture, and yes...that is a pickup truck in the lower right. Yikes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	038.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	72253  
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #18

I grew up right by crater lake. I personally would go from the coast over to roseburg then up highway 138 the scenery is amazing. My dad still runs the hydro electric project on the north unequal at toketee for the power company. Stop at diamond lake just west of crater lake. Good fishing friendly people. My friends family owns the resort there. Beautiful camping spots there. I could spend weeks taking my friends and the wife's family through that area. So much to do and see. Also Watson falls and toketee falls are both short hikes and well worth it. Also the is a natural hot springs about 6 miles off the main highway. His is a little steep but t sits right n top of a cliff and over looks the river. Use to hike in at night ave a couple of cold bevies and watch the moon come up over the mountains. God I miss Oregon! !!!
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #19

Sorry, north umpqua river not unequal
Old 08-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #20

But if you do go to bend, we just got back Tuesday from there. The crown villa rv park is really nice. Nice staff beautiful park and they had something going on everyday over the weekend we were there. Pot luck, live band and a pancake breakfast amazing

Tags
advice