Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #1

Oregon coast to Boise mid April

We have a 45' DP with towed Jeep and we are currently in southern CA. Our plan is to leave Newport, OR mid April for Idaho. Right now the OR tripcheck sight shows chains required on all routes heading east over the mountains. I know no one has a crystal ball, and this has been a hard winter, but what do you think the chances are that the chain requirement will still be in effect a month from now? Just trying to decide if we need to take a more southern route or suck it up and buy chains. Any advice from OR locals greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Barblab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Mid April should be no problem going over any of the Cascade passes with no chains required or need to carry them.

From Newport you could go east on US 20 to Corvallis, continue east on OR 34 and then again on US 20 to 22 and over Santiam Pass to Sisters and Bend. It is a beautiful drive.

If you want more beautiful scenery continue from Bend on US 26 through Prineville to John Day. If possible check out the Kam Wah Chung Chinese Museum in John Day. Prairie City has a nice city park. You can continue on US 26 to Ontario and then to Idaho. Or, for more history, take OR 7 to Sumpter and the old gold dredge and then to Baker City for Oregon Trail and gold display at US. Bank.

If you want the quickest route, take US 20 from Newport through Corvallis on OR 34 to I-5. Take I-5 north to Portland and east on I-84 to Idaho.

Enjoy your trip.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would keep the chains in your rig. Not sure....but there could be a legal requirement to carry chains until May? June? Dunno. Check with ODOT.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I would keep the chains in your rig. Not sure....but there could be a legal requirement to carry chains until May? June? Dunno. Check with ODOT.
No need for chains after March 31st unless it's snowing.
https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/chain-laws.asp
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #5

If you are really worried about snow your best bet is north to Portland then east thru the Columbia River Gorge on I -84. This route is at sea level thru the Cascades. One "hill" in (dry) eastern Oregon.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
No need for chains after March 31st unless it's snowing.
https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/chain-laws.asp
I can only find reference to studded tires until 3/31; nothing on when they stop the requirement to carry chains. (unless there is snow, of course.) Right now, there are many "carry chains " areas on I84 in the Cabbage hill/Meechum areas. I want to travel that way early April, have no chains and will not go where I need them.... ever.
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #7

i have driven from pdx to boise in april at least 2 dozen times over the years and yes it could snow but in all those trips on i-84 all i have ever had is a dusting crossing the blues. this is a major highway and odot tries to keep it open. worse case i might hold you up a day. don't drive real early or real late as some corners may be a little slick
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:35 PM   #8

Thank you for all your advice! Since we have a few days to play with I think we will just enjoy the coast and hope it clears before we need to head east. I read through the chain law before posting, and did not see a date for not having to carry them, but will check again. I just figured that since the date is totally dependent on the weather each year, they didn't print a hard date.

Speaking of weather, is it pretty typical this time of year for it to rain along the coast every day?
Barblab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbielab View Post
Thank you for all your advice! Since we have a few days to play with I think we will just enjoy the coast and hope it clears before we need to head east. I read through the chain law before posting, and did not see a date for not having to carry them, but will check again. I just figured that since the date is totally dependent on the weather each year, they didn't print a hard date.

Speaking of weather, is it pretty typical this time of year for it to rain along the coast every day?
Yes and no. This year is wetter than normal. But, it does rain on the coast a lot. When you figure that the jet stream flows from the west to the east it's always bring moisture of the ocean with it. Things dry out in June but then the fog will hit. Sept is by far the best month IMO.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:43 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We live in the Coos Bay area. This is a particularly wet year. At least on the south coast we get to see blue sky and the sun in between the rain showers.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:53 AM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
That's why Ducks have web feet!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekegb View Post
Mid April should be no problem going over any of the Cascade passes with no chains required or need to carry them.

From Newport you could go east on US 20 to Corvallis, continue east on OR 34 and then again on US 20 to 22 and over Santiam Pass to Sisters and Bend. It is a beautiful drive.

If you want more beautiful scenery continue from Bend on US 26 through Prineville to John Day. If possible check out the Kam Wah Chung Chinese Museum in John Day. Prairie City has a nice city park. You can continue on US 26 to Ontario and then to Idaho. Or, for more history, take OR 7 to Sumpter and the old gold dredge and then to Baker City for Oregon Trail and gold display at US. Bank.

If you want the quickest route, take US 20 from Newport through Corvallis on OR 34 to I-5. Take I-5 north to Portland and east on I-84 to Idaho.

Enjoy your trip.
+1 on the side trip to Sumpter, OR! Besides when you hit Sumpter you are about 3 hours to Boise.