Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #1

Oregon-Rogue River area

One of our planned trips this summer is the Rogue River area from Shady Cove, OR eastward to the coast. Our first stop along the Rogue will be at the Rogue River RV Resort in Shady Cove, OR. Other than that, can anyone direct me to good camp areas...hook-ups are not necessarily required.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #2

Did you mean eastward to the coast or west to the coast?

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Did you mean eastward to the coast or west to the coast?
From Shady Cove, OR we would be traveling westward towards the coast.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #4

Dont recall the names but there is a nice little "fish camp" about a mile up river after you cross south on the Rogue river bridge at Gold Beach. There two other Rv parks on the Rogue--one on the north bank and the other at the little town about 15 miles up river using the south bank road for access. The road is a bit narrow and winding but both seem like nice places to stay. The area is busy in mid summer so probably need to make reservations early.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
The area is busy in mid summer so probably need to make reservations early.
Yes, that is why I am doing my summer planning now. I've made reservations for our Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip in August already, now I am working on July and June...planning is almost as fun as going...not really, but planning is fun.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You simply can't beat the State Parks in OR. I haven't spent much time on the inland Rogue River, but have spent a lot on the coast so I can advise from that side. Highly recommend Cape Blanco State Park ~1.5 hrs north of Gold Beach. Humbug Mountain SP is also nice, but Cape Blanco is more spectacular. South of Gold Beach I recommend Harris Beach SP....fabulous place.

While on the coastal side make sure to take a ride up the Rogue with Jerry's Rogue Jets....fabulous outing!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
...While on the coastal side make sure to take a ride up the Rogue with Jerry's Rogue Jets....fabulous outing!
X2. We did this in 2002 and am not sure it was Jerry's but we had a great ride! We stayed (with permission, of course) in the jetboat ride operators parking lot the night before our jetboat ride, very convenient! We did ask when we made our reservations to make sure it was OK.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We were there in August 2012. We stayed at Four Seasons RV Park, about a mile up the river from the mouth. Road to it was winding and watch the right side as there is no shoulder. Four Seasons is right on the river. The best spots are 1-6 which were full. They are pull in spots. To get out you will have to back out and hook up in the upper level. We were in the middle of the park. Sites are close together but the locations was nice. The Jet Boat will pick you up right at the landing at the CG, or the next spot up the river depending on how many getting on at any of those two points.

The jet boat ride was well worth the price.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #9

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

If traveling I 5 into Oregon I recommend Valley of the Rogue State park between Medford and Grants Pass. Great Park especially the last section can't remember if E or F no sewer but wqater and 50 amp. Dump station within the park is easy to use. Kayaks can be rented in Gold Hill for a gentle 2 hour float and pick up under the bridge in Rogue River.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
One of our planned trips this summer is the Rogue River area from Shady Cove, OR eastward to the coast. Our first stop along the Rogue will be at the Rogue River RV Resort in Shady Cove, OR. Other than that, can anyone direct me to good camp areas...hook-ups are not necessarily required.

Valley of the Rogue State Park, exit 45B on I-5 is pretty nice and right on the Rogue river. If you take highway 199 from Grants Pass to the coast you'll pass though the Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park and there is camping available there. I've stayed at the Harris Beach state park just north of Brookings and it is walking distance to the ocean.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
The best spots are 1-6 which were full. They are pull in spots. To get out you will have to back out and hook up in the upper level. The jet boat ride was well worth the price. Happy trails.
I've just made reservations at the Four Seasons for June 20-23, 2013 and we have reserved 2 spots for the 104 mile boat trip...yippee...
Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Valley of the Rogue State Park, exit 45B on I-5 is pretty nice and right on the Rogue river. If you take highway 199 from Grants Pass to the coast you'll pass though the Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park and there is camping available there. I've stayed at the Harris Beach state park just north of Brookings and it is walking distance to the ocean.
For a couple of days we're going to stay at a developed RV park in Gold Beach, OR so we can take the jet boat ride up the Rogue River (104 miles) and then visit a winery or two in the area. Then we are going to cruise up 101 and find a State CG or two along the way...we have a couple of days to travel the 80 miles to Coos Bay from Gold Beach. I notice on the map there are numerous State Parks along the coast between Gold Beach and Coos Bay.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post

For a couple of days we're going to stay at a developed RV park in Gold Beach, OR so we can take the jet boat ride up the Rogue River (104 miles) and then visit a winery or two in the area. Then we are going to cruise up 101 and find a State CG or two along the way...we have a couple of days to travel the 80 miles to Coos Bay from Gold Beach. I notice on the map there are numerous State Parks along the coast between Gold Beach and Coos Bay.
Going north from Gold Beach on 101 my three top choices would be Cape Blanco State Park, Bullards Beach State Park and Winchester Bay RV Resort (county park right on the water just north of Coos Bay). Be sure to visit the lighthouses in each spot.

We spent all summer there last year so I can recommend many, many outings. Just a sample here:

The sea stacks at Bandon
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2012...cks-bandon-or/

Cape Arago Headlands
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2012...o-headland-or/

Umqua River Lighthouse
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2012...lighthouse-or/

OR Coast Dunes
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2012...egon-dunes-or/

And so much more!