Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mftroop13 View Post
Hi I see some great suggestions...my wife and I are going on a two week trip from LA to Oregon in May. It will be our first big trip in our 31' Rexhall

We already are thinking we will stop in Cambria on the first night, then head to Mendocino.

We then want to head towards Bend then up to Portland, then go to the coast and head south.

We are hopeful that we can actually take the time to enjoy the trip, and not be driving too many hours per day. Is two weeks realistic?

Here's what we do when we have limited time. We make our travel assumptions (for us that's 350ish miles per day. Decide what stops are overnights and which require 2nights or more. Then we go on google maps (or the trip mapping application of your choice) and map out a possible plan for where we want to go and see if it fits into our timeframe. Portland is about 1000 miles, so 3 days up and three days back minimum, leaves you 8 days in between depending on how often you want to move. Plan carefully and it should be doable, just remember each travel day creates more drive days and less sightseeing time. We made that trip last summer, took us a month, but we stayed in places for a week or so.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Look into Seven Feathers RV park in Canyonville.....about 30 miles north of Grants Pass
Exit 99 to be exact.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #31

Crater lake is a must. I grew up in that area. Lived at diamond lake for a couple years. It truly is God's country. Beautiful scenery, tons of waterfalls and lakes, and more greenery than most have ever seen. My dad still lives up there at toketee and I can not travel there enough. I miss that area sooooo much
Old 04-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
Crater lake is a must. I grew up in that area. Lived at diamond lake for a couple years. It truly is God's country. Beautiful scenery, tons of waterfalls and lakes, and more greenery than most have ever seen. My dad still lives up there at toketee and I can not travel there enough. I miss that area sooooo much
+1

Bow hunted in that area for years. It is truly beautiful.

Steve
Old 05-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #33

Sorry to do this, but needed a place to put my updated route map, for a PM. Not completely off topic, but also, I hate reviving an old thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	updatedpnwtrip.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	126661  
Old 05-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mftroop13 View Post
Hi I see some great suggestions...my wife and I are going on a two week trip from LA to Oregon in May. It will be our first big trip in our 31' Rexhall

We already are thinking we will stop in Cambria on the first night, then head to Mendocino.

We then want to head towards Bend then up to Portland, then go to the coast and head south.

We are hopeful that we can actually take the time to enjoy the trip, and not be driving too many hours per day. Is two weeks realistic?
sorry to disappoint you. But two weeks is really not enough time to do it all. If I were doing it, I would blast north driving till I had to stop. At Weed, pick up 97 north, first stop Collier Memorial State park. From here its an easy drive up to Crater Lake. Collier has a nice logging museum worth a visit. From there, next stop LaPine state park. Mt Batchlor, Bend, High desert museum, white water rafting, caving, Newberry Caldera, Lava cast forest all within an easy drive. Then continue north on 97 to I84. The Columbia river gorge is worth the visit for the water falls. Now, if you have any time left, west thru Portland to US30 to Astoria and the start pf Oregons part of 101.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
sorry to disappoint you. But two weeks is really not enough time to do it all. If I were doing it, I would blast north driving till I had to stop. At Weed, pick up 97 north, first stop Collier Memorial State park. From here its an easy drive up to Crater Lake. Collier has a nice logging museum worth a visit. From there, next stop LaPine state park. Mt Batchlor, Bend, High desert museum, white water rafting, caving, Newberry Caldera, Lava cast forest all within an easy drive. Then continue north on 97 to I84. The Columbia river gorge is worth the visit for the water falls. Now, if you have any time left, west thru Portland to US30 to Astoria and the start pf Oregons part of 101.
I agree, we have 3 MONTHS put aside for this trip, and after crunching numbers, we are afraid that even THAT will be tight. We will be moving around a LOT!

We have a wedding in July in Seattle that we have to go to, as well as Glacier Natl Park and Yellowstone for the honeymoon, but other than that, it is all business. We are spending 3-5 days, or a week in each of the metro areas while we get an idea of where we want to settle down permanently.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #36

Smile Oregon trip

Big thanks to all that replied with suggestions. Plans made and getting excited.

If anyone is reading this looking for same help I was, my advice is to make reservations early. I started the planning in March and had some problems getting into some of the parks. Have to do a little more driving to get to some and then double back, but not a problem.

Will post here as we progress. Will get into our first destination on July 2nd in Bend.

Maybe see some of you while traveling. All of you be safe.