Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
MrsChilerick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mftroop13 View Post
Hi I see some great suggestions...my wife and I are going on a two week trip from LA to Oregon in May. It will be our first big trip in our 31' Rexhall



We already are thinking we will stop in Cambria on the first night, then head to Mendocino.



We then want to head towards Bend then up to Portland, then go to the coast and head south.



We are hopeful that we can actually take the time to enjoy the trip, and not be driving too many hours per day. Is two weeks realistic?

Here's what we do when we have limited time. We make our travel assumptions (for us that's 350ish miles per day. Decide what stops are overnights and which require 2nights or more. Then we go on google maps (or the trip mapping application of your choice) and map out a possible plan for where we want to go and see if it fits into our timeframe. Portland is about 1000 miles, so 3 days up and three days back minimum, leaves you 8 days in between depending on how often you want to move. Plan carefully and it should be doable, just remember each travel day creates more drive days and less sightseeing time. We made that trip last summer, took us a month, but we stayed in places for a week or so.
__________________

__________________
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Look into Seven Feathers RV park in Canyonville.....about 30 miles north of Grants Pass
Exit 99 to be exact.
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
iamblum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 414
Crater lake is a must. I grew up in that area. Lived at diamond lake for a couple years. It truly is God's country. Beautiful scenery, tons of waterfalls and lakes, and more greenery than most have ever seen. My dad still lives up there at toketee and I can not travel there enough. I miss that area sooooo much
__________________
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
Crater lake is a must. I grew up in that area. Lived at diamond lake for a couple years. It truly is God's country. Beautiful scenery, tons of waterfalls and lakes, and more greenery than most have ever seen. My dad still lives up there at toketee and I can not travel there enough. I miss that area sooooo much
+1

Bow hunted in that area for years. It is truly beautiful.

Steve
__________________
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
scottandanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 837
Sorry to do this, but needed a place to put my updated route map, for a PM. Not completely off topic, but also, I hate reviving an old thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	updatedpnwtrip.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	126661  
__________________
2015 24' Rockwood UltraLite 2304DS w/Equal-I-Zer 4-Point 1000lb sway control.
2014 39' Montana 3402RL, with no tow vehicle (full-time)
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
450Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas,OR
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mftroop13 View Post
Hi I see some great suggestions...my wife and I are going on a two week trip from LA to Oregon in May. It will be our first big trip in our 31' Rexhall

We already are thinking we will stop in Cambria on the first night, then head to Mendocino.

We then want to head towards Bend then up to Portland, then go to the coast and head south.

We are hopeful that we can actually take the time to enjoy the trip, and not be driving too many hours per day. Is two weeks realistic?
sorry to disappoint you. But two weeks is really not enough time to do it all. If I were doing it, I would blast north driving till I had to stop. At Weed, pick up 97 north, first stop Collier Memorial State park. From here its an easy drive up to Crater Lake. Collier has a nice logging museum worth a visit. From there, next stop LaPine state park. Mt Batchlor, Bend, High desert museum, white water rafting, caving, Newberry Caldera, Lava cast forest all within an easy drive. Then continue north on 97 to I84. The Columbia river gorge is worth the visit for the water falls. Now, if you have any time left, west thru Portland to US30 to Astoria and the start pf Oregons part of 101.
__________________
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
scottandanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
sorry to disappoint you. But two weeks is really not enough time to do it all. If I were doing it, I would blast north driving till I had to stop. At Weed, pick up 97 north, first stop Collier Memorial State park. From here its an easy drive up to Crater Lake. Collier has a nice logging museum worth a visit. From there, next stop LaPine state park. Mt Batchlor, Bend, High desert museum, white water rafting, caving, Newberry Caldera, Lava cast forest all within an easy drive. Then continue north on 97 to I84. The Columbia river gorge is worth the visit for the water falls. Now, if you have any time left, west thru Portland to US30 to Astoria and the start pf Oregons part of 101.
I agree, we have 3 MONTHS put aside for this trip, and after crunching numbers, we are afraid that even THAT will be tight. We will be moving around a LOT!

We have a wedding in July in Seattle that we have to go to, as well as Glacier Natl Park and Yellowstone for the honeymoon, but other than that, it is all business. We are spending 3-5 days, or a week in each of the metro areas while we get an idea of where we want to settle down permanently.
__________________
2015 24' Rockwood UltraLite 2304DS w/Equal-I-Zer 4-Point 1000lb sway control.
2014 39' Montana 3402RL, with no tow vehicle (full-time)
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 17
Smile Oregon trip

Big thanks to all that replied with suggestions. Plans made and getting excited.

If anyone is reading this looking for same help I was, my advice is to make reservations early. I started the planning in March and had some problems getting into some of the parks. Have to do a little more driving to get to some and then double back, but not a problem.

Will post here as we progress. Will get into our first destination on July 2nd in Bend.

Maybe see some of you while traveling. All of you be safe.
__________________

__________________
grovenewmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bend Oregon to Ontario Oregon wgb Navigation, Routes & Roads 4 08-21-2015 07:10 PM
Sisters, Oregon to Roseburg, Oregon gator67 Navigation, Routes & Roads 1 05-21-2013 08:35 PM
joseph oregon rv trip knucklehead_ Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 2 04-29-2011 09:19 PM
Special Trip on Oregon's I-5 MonacoMama Navigation, Routes & Roads 6 11-18-2009 07:32 PM
Help with trip Fresno, CA to Oregon and Washington Darlene7 Navigation, Routes & Roads 4 06-09-2005 05:25 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.