Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
Oregon, Washington, coastal campgrounds, if you please!

Again, I seek the help of the experienced. We will be heading out of the San Francisco area and heading north on 101. We might be staying in an Army Corp of Engineers Park at Liberty Glen Campground, Lake Sonoma. Any advise on that campground.? We thought we would make it a hub for a couple of days of coastal travel in our tow. (daily trips) We will then be heading north through Oregon and Washington. There are a lot of State Parks in Oregon, but a little concerned about site sizes, etc. One of the ones recommended to us had it's dump site out of commission and that of course, is not a good sign. Any advise on campgrounds along 101 along the coast or close vacinity would be greatly appreciated. I have gone into a great deal of sites, but it gets a little bit scarey out there. We, are not against staying in private campgrounds if they are nice and not off the wall expense wise. Any advise on must-sees in Northern California, Oregon or Washington? We will be traveling through the month of May, 2010 in a 38' Motorhome. Two adults and two kitties. Thank you again, for taking the time to help others.

nowrelxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar
Will you have a toad? I have used these facilities with 43' and Toad with no problems.
As you go North in Ca. the Hwy fro Willits to Ft. Bragg is really curvy and a steep downgrade (some 10%) I would stay in Willits and do day trips to Ft Bragg and Mendocino. Nice Private campgrounds as you head further North. About 20 miles from the Oregon border in Brookings is Harris State Park (on the left as you head North) near Florence is Honeyman State Park (on your left-sand dunes) and just before Astoria is Ft Stevens State Park (Columbia River meets Pa Ocean). At Coos Bay there is Sunset Beach State Park. Near Tillamook a Private campground named Netarts Bay RV park and Marina in Netarts Bay is good for base camp to see that area.
In-land Mt Hood Village in Welches Or is good for seeing the Columbia River Gorge and Mt Hood, Mallard Creek Golf and RV Resort is just out of Albany and is good for gouing to Sisters, Bend and Redmond, then as you exit the State on I 5 is Valley of the Rogue State Park.
I have not had much luck with State Parks in Wa., but once past Astoria if you head toward Hwy 101 near Olympia and head toward the Hood Canal there are several private campgrounds.

2008 Jeep Sahara '4Dr"
Ronnie Bledsoe
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
I would recommend the Cannon Beach RV Resort in the Cannon Beach Seaside area, it is a private park. It is maybe 4 blocks off the beach in a quiet neighborhood with easy access on and off Hwy 101. Big rig friendly, with pull thrus and back ins depending on your choice. City shuttle bus makes regular stops if you are so inclined. About a 12-14 block walk into town. One of the better parks on the Northern portion of 101. Cannon Beach is a "artsy craftsy" town on the beach with good places to eat, need small shops for the browser. Easy access to beach for walking. Seaside is about 8 -10 miles north, a regulation beach side community with all the trappings.

Another private park in WA State that is right on the beach is Andersens RV Parkin Long Beach, it is a little over 3 miles off 101 on SR-103, nice park that is Big Rig friendly, no pull thrus, just back ins. During the winter prices are reasonable for beach side campground.

Andersens RV Park: Washington State Oceanfront RV Park - Long Beach, Washington rv
Northern Oregon Coast RV Lodging - Cannon Beach RV Resort in Cannon Beach, Oregon

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything"
2008 Newmar VTDP - 3330 - ISBXT 350 Spartan NVS
Toad - 2013 Mini Cooper S or 93 Nissan 4WD PU
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Another great park in the Long Beach, WA area is a state park called Cape Disappointment. It is located where the Columbia River dumps into the Pacific Ocean. This park has a newer area that has 50 amp hookups and very large paved sites. Our 45 footer fits no problem. A short walk on the trail to the beach.

Check it out at the WA state Parks website.
Joe in Seattle; winter: Motorcoach CC, Indio, CA
2015 Essex 4503
2010 Honda CRV toad
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
For private campgrounds I would recommend Winchester Bay RV Resort just out of Reedsport, Ore. Further north, our favorite is Fort Stevens state park out of Astoria, Ore. Andersons in Long Beach, Wa is also nice and for state parks I would recommend Grayland which is just south of Westport, Wa. Another one of our favorites is Silver Falls state park east of Salem, Ore.
Also, while in the area, check out the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville, Ore.
Marv & Margie
'06 F250 S/C PSD Line-X Hijacker
'07 Cardinal 31RKLE 5th wheel
Me&Margie is offline   Reply With Quote