RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Organ Pipe Cactus N.M.

We have toured this park but never stayed here. Seeing as its right on the border and out in the boonies, wondering if anyone has any thoughts qualms or experiences to share.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We stayed there in 12/12. No problems and no qualms. Border Patrol works the border in that area pretty thoroughly. It is an eco-park and generators are allowed only for two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening. That December it was getting down into the thirties at night so we left after two nights. Concern was of not getting batteries recharged fully. We plan to be back there in 2/18.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed in the campground for 10 days in 02/17, felt perfectly safe. Did quite a bit of hiking, no problems at all. If I recall correctly they had quite a bit of rain in December and January and the desert was absolutely gorgeous.
Droski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Organ Pipe Cactus Monument is across the boarder in Ajo, AZ
https://www.nps.gov/orpi/planyourvisit/camping.htm
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #5

I think the N.M. stood for National Monument, not New Mexico.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Your generator hours are pretty limited, no big deal and no hook ups so go with water and empty tanks. What got me was the total quiet at night and how dark it gets when there is no moon. Kinda eerie to me.

Make sure you take the drive on the east side of the highway, pretty neat.

Don't forget your national parks pass before you register, it is good for a discount. By all means go, you don't have to worry about the boogeymen.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:12 PM   #7

A 10 day stay at Organ Pipe Cactus N.M. convinced us we needed to get a serious solar system so we could spend more time there and in places like it.
Our batteries were on their last legs (on a not yet 2 year old coach) and the 4 hours a day of generator time simply was not enough to keep up with our residential fridge's overnight draw. The camp host was very diligent, at making sure no one ran past generator shut down time, so we probably drove the final nails into our batteries coffins by never getting them back to full charge due to the limited generator run hours allowed.

Despite having been told that our 40 ft. coach would not fit the sites, we found plenty of them to choose from where we fit quite handily, and still had room to park out Jeep on the same site. Although the sites do not have water, sewer, or electrical at them they are quite nice asphalted sites. We pulled out of our site once to dump our tanks at the parks dump station and top up with fresh water, then returned to our site for the balance of our stay.

Prettiest "greenest" desert we have ever seen. We had never seen desert plants bloom like that! Just beautiful! Good interpretive programs put on by the Rangers both at the visitors centre during the day and at the amphitheater at night. As a previous poster said, take a lunch and do some exploring. There is a scenic drive that starts on the east side of the highway that takes you through quite a variety of plant and rock vistas, and another one on the west side that will bring you right back past the huge border fence to the highway. It is amazing how many Border Patrol agents there are working in the area.

Loved the desert wilderness experience. The dark skies allowed us to marvel at the number of stars we never get to see in areas where there is more light. Would love to go back now that we have solar, new batteries, and more 'power draw management' experience.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #8

It's one of my favorite parks. Wonderful, quiet, meditative. Absolutely no problems. Border problems are greatly over played. I think it's far more dangerous to drive into Tucson where it isn't "was somebody killed last night" but " how many." If the rangers are doing the van tour be sure to take it as it's very informative.
Earl E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the Info!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
I think the N.M. stood for National Monument, not New Mexico.
Duhh I see NM and automatically think New Mexico, it is a National Monument. Sorry my mistake
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Duhh I see NM and automatically think New Mexico, it is a National Monument. Sorry my mistake

It's all good. I do it too.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:55 PM   #12

While it does not say so on the National Park website, the Recreation.gov web page for the Twin Peaks Campground at Organ Pipes Cactus NM, says it is closed until December 31, 2017 and is converting to a specific site reservation system. See the red bordered box at the top of the web page.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/t...&parkId=155840

Also note that the campground map is UPSIDE DOWN with north at the bottom, however they have placed a ^N symbol in the corner to indicate it is up. You can see how it really looks on Google maps, https://goo.gl/maps/piRL7e4Tqky

I have sent an email to Recreation.gov about this.

Charles

2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Its looking for a new home. Replaced by a '03 Ram 2500 CTD and a Thor 18 ft TT until the unicorns bring me a 25 ft Airstream.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote