Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Orlando, FL area park in Jan

Hi Y'all,

I need some advice. I rarely stay in a park, but am taking my nephew to Disneyworld and Universal Studios in Orlando the first week of Jan. I suspect there is zero boondocking available that time of year anywhere nearby. I've heard about FT Wilderness, but if we can't get in there what would you suggest? They must allow a small dog. Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might consider Bill Frederick Park at Turkey Lake. This is a nice county park about five minutes from Universal and twenty minutes from Disney. Ft Wilderness is exceptional, but three times the cost. Book quickly wherever you decide to go.

Enjoy.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #3

We have stayed in Fort Wilderness 4 times in the past two years and are planning to go there in February again because we enjoy the atmosphere and close proximity to the parks so much. We stayed at the Kissimmee KOA twice in that time period as well. The KOA was half the price of FW, but it is in the middle of a high traffic area just off of a 4 lane. We really liked Kissimmee KOA clean, friendly campers (much more so that FW we figured everyone was more event driven than at the KOA). Enjoy your stay and let us know what you did.....I am jealous.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #4

x2 on the Kissimmie KOA. Very clean, and everyone there was friendly and nice.
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As SVTotem said, Your least expensive is probably Bill Frederick at Turkey Lake, a City of Orlando Park. We have stayed several times, nice place but they are limited on spaces (especially full hookup). The rate is probably half of KOA and others. KOA in Kissimmee and Tropical Palms (also Kissimmee) are also nice clean parks. Tropical Palms has other activities within the park, great for kids.
Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
There is just NOTHING better than Ft. Wilderness! It's expensive but it is the best and the KOAis e close in price without any of the benifits, except it's across the street from Sam's Club.
If you are taking your grandson stay at The Fort.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #7

Hi OKMUNKEY:
Love the name. I agree with Cousin Ed. If you want to be a hero to the grandkid then FW is the only way to go. You get on the phone and call during the week. They always have cancelations. I have never been to the Fort and seen it 100% ocuppied. They like reservations that are for a week if you know what I mean but you can always cancel some days at the last minute with no penalty. If you are in the fort you will not need your car for anything. If the in season price is to much for you I can tell you that Tropical Palms is kind of nice and it has a good on site cafe. Its close to Old Town so it is noisy at night. The Kissimee KOA is clean but on the main road so it is also noisy at night. Further out you can find Lake Louise State park on US 27. Fla state parks are very good and around $30 a night but it is 45 minutes away from the DW main gate. I timed it. I've been to all those other places I mentioned once and the Fort 35 times if that tells you anything. Lots of snowbirds camp in the Ocala National Forest but no amenities. The DW likes her amenities so I've never been. If I were you I would check out Fort Fiends.com or Discamping to look into the fort. Have fun.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks all! I booked and paid for a week at Turkey Creek. $19/nite is an unbelieveable price. Just taking Kohl to Florida has already made me a hero.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you will enjoy it very much.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Thanks all! I booked and paid for a week at Turkey Creek. $19/nite is an unbelieveable price. Just taking Kohl to Florida has already made me a hero.
Let us know how much Disney charges to let the monkey in!