Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #1

Ottawa to Myrtle Beach and more

Hey gang, planning a July trip and wondered if anyone had advice on routes.?..agent done this route before so relying on a Google maps for now. See photo

Ottawa to Frontier Town, Ocean City then
The Outdoor Resorts of America, Virginia Beach then
Camp Hatteras then
Ocean Lakes , Myrtle Beach then
Cherry Hill Park, then home

Whirlwind of 2 weeks , hopefully good weather...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3349964358.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	563.8 KB
ID:	56942  

Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #2

Been up and down the east coast several times, you did not say which Ocean City you were planning to visit, NJ or MD,

Do you have a GPS?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Been up and down the east coast several times, you did not say which Ocean City you were planning to visit, NJ or MD, Do you have a GPS?
There's 2? Well, MD for us? Good GPS but like maps , doesn't always pick the right path. Someone said the route back is through mountains and hard on fuel..... Rather stay near main routes with all the amenities .
Old 02-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
According to your map, the only mountains you'll see will be in NY and Northern PA. You'll have more problems with traffic when you come within 100 miles of Philly and maybe all the way to OC. But then again, there is no good route to OC.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #5

Looked at your map again, you did note you were going to Frontier Town, is this the one in North Hudson NY? That is off 87 and you are going down 81? Perhaps you are thinking of another "Frontier Town".

You show your route through Baltimore, don't take any tunnels there if you have propane, there are signs in this regard as I recall.

There are no significant hills on the route you noted, but traffic will be a challenge around major cities, and crossing the bridge on Rt 50 out of Annapolis sometimes gets backed up. When I lived in Fairfax VA we frequently went to OC MD. Traffic was always a concern on the bridge and really wherever we travelled north or south of DC. Timing is important.

I don't recall any RV park out on the strip where OC is, but I have not been there for quite a few years. There are a couple RV parks south of 50 and a state park to the south also. Had you planned to stay with your RV in OC?

Good luck this will be a busy trip in 2 weeks. Plan for a lot of traffic delays, so keep the tank topped up,
Old 02-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #6

Frontier Town, Fort Whaley (owned by the same people) and Castaways are three nice and convenient RV parks near Ocean City. Regarding Baltimore tunnels no propane allowed. You can take I-695 beltway around Balt.or use US 301 to get south of DC.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Have you considered taking I-495 around D.C. and then I-270 to Frederick? Pick up US 15 and go by Gettysburg on your way to Harrisburg.

I enjoyed Ocean Lakes when I was in Myrtle Beach last May.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Frontier Town, Fort Whaley (owned by the same people) and Castaways are three nice and convenient RV parks near Ocean City. Regarding Baltimore tunnels no propane allowed. You can take I-695 beltway around Balt.or use US 301 to get south of DC.
Good info. I misread the OP as going to Frontier Town and then OC. It was clear on the second read. Have not been to OC MD for about 25 years and I don't recall that facility being there then. Also in looking at his map on a PC vs a phone, my comment about the bridge on rt 50 is not relevant either, but I see he is coming up 95 past DC from Myrtle Beach. Eeek - 95 through DC and Baltimore is most often a traffic nightmare. Unless I have to go that way, I go up to 81 and bypass DC and Baltimore and all major centers actually. A much better route IMHO.

One Fri night, of the May long weekend, I was going from Faifax to Virgina Beach. I was on I495 and then I95 for 4 hrs and had not reached I64. We pulled off the road and got a hotel room for the night. About 0500 Sat morning it was fine.

So to the OP, good luck but you might think about getting up to I81 coming up from Myrtle Beach vs I95.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #9

Thanks; I 81 vs I 95: that's good advice.

As for the Baltimore Tunnel; pretty sure I bypass that. But have to take the 476 past philly to get to OC.

Might be doing a lot of night driving , lol
Old 02-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
Have you considered taking I-495 around D.C. and then I-270 to Frederick? Pick up US 15 and go by Gettysburg on your way to Harrisburg. I enjoyed Ocean Lakes when I was in Myrtle Beach last May.

495 to 270 Done! That was an easy fix, thanks!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post

495 to 270 Done! That was an easy fix, thanks!!!
Been that way many times. Best to stay on I-81 past DC IMHO. It is a bit further but MUCH LESS TRAFFIC. I-270 to I-495 still gets you in that beltway mess around DC and that traffic on I95 south of DC.

But good luck if you elect to go near DC, timing is the key to a good clean shot through there.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #12

Are you set on Ocean Lakes? We found that Pirate Land was quieter with bigger lots. Everyone in Ocean Lakes has a golf cart. Never seen so many carts in my life. Traffic i crazy. We got a corner lot close to the beach on the main road. Had to ask if we could move and did. Always enjoyed Pirate land.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCrew View Post
Are you set on Ocean Lakes? We found that Pirate Land was quieter with bigger lots. Everyone in Ocean Lakes has a golf cart. Never seen so many carts in my life. Traffic i crazy. We got a corner lot close to the beach on the main road. Had to ask if we could move and did. Always enjoyed Pirate land.

Yeah, we had heard of this so part of our plan is to visit the other sites while there to make a decision for future trips to Myrtle Beach. Why on earth would they allow teens on golf carts? hahaha
Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #14

Ottawa to Myrtle Beach and more

We made it! Great trip!,

So right about Ocean Lakes. Way too many kids on golf carts. I can only compare this place as if teenagers in golf carts took over the world and ruled, hahaha .Despite the great amenities, it's just too crazy. I'm sure after the summer rush, it would be nicer but bad taste in my mouth. I just don't get the golf cart obsession....people just drive around aimlessly and no one walks their dogs. Instead, they drive them around in the carts. Ok, now I should be clear, that's just me cuz obviously many many others find it fun and hats off to them. Also, wasn't allowed to drive my motorcycle on the campground property. From what I could see, absolutely everything but a motorcycle is allowed. Sucks, cuz that's my toad. And yes, it is very quiet.

Virginia Beach was nice. For some, I bet the jets would be a loud annoyance but growing up with air shows, I was loving it. Sand bridge beach where our campground was located was awesome!

Frontier town , Ocean City was another busy spot with lots of golf carts but no where nearly as bad as ocean lakes. Lots to do there but for some reason lots of big dogs. A guy set up behind me and preceded to assemble metal fence around his lot so his 2 large Dobermans could run free. Barked at everything. Just crazy. Spent all afternoon doing this, lolol oh well, glad he loves his dogs but come on....

Camp Hatteras, Cape Hatteras, was by far, our best stop. Stones throw from an amazing beach. Friendly folks. So much to explore out on the Outerbanks. Expensive but I guess you get what you pay for. Lot sand could have been raked and cleaned but they just had a hurricane so I shouldn't complain . Will be back! In fact, I will book next summer there once I get some dates down.

.....now in Atlantic Canada enjoying the lobster!