Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #1

Ouachita National Forest, Arkansas. First time trip.

Wife and I are transitioning from boating to RV lifestyle. We have been looking hard a lots of different RV's that we think will suit us.

We have decided on the following details.

No bunk beds.
Access to both sides of queen bed.
Rear living area preferred but some other styles have piqued out interest.
6,000 pounds dry weight.
Fiberglass and aluminium construction with enclosed underbelly, prefer four season or something that can take extended 20 F weather.
Kitchen should have decent counter space.

We have found several we like.

However our 6K limit is based on my F150 being rated at 7700 pounds limit, we have not towed anything yet.

This April we will be renting a 6K rig with a WDH. Outside of length and weight little of this rig matches what we want but it will give us an idea of how well out truck handles under load. Have already installed the OEM brake controller and had truck flashed to talk to it.

We are going to Ouachita National Forest in Arkansas. This will be about an eight hour tow and will put us into some flat windy areas and some hilly areas. We will move every day so we get an idea of how much effort that takes.

We will pack light and if truck does well will fill the FW tank to add some weight.

Does anyone have any suggestion about what we are doing and where we will be staying? I'm all ears.

Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 04:59 PM   #2

First of all good luck on your adventure. The first thing I will mention and I'm sure others will chime in is on the tow rating vs your starting 6K dry weight. You will be amazed at how quick you can climb that weight ladder. And you will. When you start adding battery (s), full LP tanks, etc, etc. you will probably be approaching your max wgt limit or be very close. You mentioned you had found a few that you like. When comparing them make a list of what you like in each one and what you might have to sacrifice to reach a final decision. We've had 4 trailers in 5 years, but one was due to heavy hail damage and we thought we had found the one we would keep for a while, hah-hah-hah, that was a funny thought. The more we used the previous trailer, as nice as it was, the more we realized we didn't go big enough. Previous, 24ft & 6100lbs dry. New one, 35ft & 9100 lbs dry. Loaded up I'm sure I'm pushing or inching past 10,000lbs. Plan on hitting the scales this summer to get real numbers. Required a TV upgrade to properly manage it the right and safe way. I've been lucky in getting good deals after the initial one we bought and I sold for a nice profit and a little dickering. It's too bad you can't rent one like or close to so you could really try it out. Floor plan has a lot to do with how much time you are going to spend in it at a time. Weekends don't require near as much as several weeks or even months. Out current unit has rear LR with entertainment seating, big windows, 3 slides, front bedroom,walk around full queen, big closets with WD hookup, enclosed/heated underbelly and so on. We researched and climbed a many rv step before we decided. Take your time and save yourselves a headache or darn it later. Again good luck and keep us updated. Always fun watching others wade through the process....

Old 03-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback...
My understanding is dry weight includes full LP tanks. Did not consider the batteries.
Wife and I are light packers, we travel Europe with one Rick Steves backpack each. Cooking utensils may be our downfall. Love to cook and want the right tool for the job.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #4

It has been a few years since being up in Razorback territory, but the state parks in Arkansas are generally very nice. We have stayed at Lake Ouachita State Park, Degray Lake State Park, and not too far south is the Crater of Diamonds State Park. I would gladly spend time at any of these again. (I've heard Degray has changed quite a bit with the addition of a resort.)

I know you want to move around to check out set up / break down processes, but I would suggest spending at least a couple of days in one location. Set up and break down can be a process, but it is the time between the two that make it all worth while.

We started with a 19 foot bumper pull 6 years ago, and love it so much we are on our 3rd RV (and 3rd tow vehicle, but that was want, not necessarily need). Good luck and have fun!
Rysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott_head View Post
Wife and I are transitioning from boating to RV lifestyle. We have been looking hard a lots of different RV's that we think will suit us.

We have decided on the following details.

No bunk beds.
Access to both sides of queen bed.
Rear living area preferred but some other styles have piqued out interest.
6,000 pounds dry weight.
Fiberglass and aluminium construction with enclosed underbelly, prefer four season or something that can take extended 20 F weather.
Kitchen should have decent counter space.

We have found several we like.

However our 6K limit is based on my F150 being rated at 7700 pounds limit, we have not towed anything yet.

This April we will be renting a 6K rig with a WDH. Outside of length and weight little of this rig matches what we want but it will give us an idea of how well out truck handles under load. Have already installed the OEM brake controller and had truck flashed to talk to it.

We are going to Ouachita National Forest in Arkansas. This will be about an eight hour tow and will put us into some flat windy areas and some hilly areas. We will move every day so we get an idea of how much effort that takes.

We will pack light and if truck does well will fill the FW tank to add some weight.

Does anyone have any suggestion about what we are doing and where we will be staying? I'm all ears.
check out the Talimena drive , once you get there you'll be stunned by the beauty ! Camping at the wilamena lodge , lots of hiking , sometimes you'll catch folks hang gilideing , also the Heavner Ruin Stones state park is worth the visit
Old 03-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #6

Corp of Engineers has nice parks, too. Have fun!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions....Looks like maybe Crystal Springs might be a destination....

Tags
arkansas, national