Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
So much depends on your style of RVing and how you visit the places you go.

For us, pretty much anywhere, but specifically for Yellowstone and the Tetons:

First - As others have said I, personally, would not stay in one location to visit both parks.

Second - Being in the Park was key. We didn't care if we had satellite, cable, etc. Our main objectives were to see wildlife, hike, and take the Jeep out to enjoy the scenery. We were out before dawn and back after sunset. We used the RV to eat dinner (sometimes) and sleep. Yes, the sites at Fishing Bridge are tight, but not unbearable and you get to meet lots of your neighbors when you all go outside to watch the herd of buffalo amble through the campground. Same in the Tetons. We didn't spend enough time hanging out at the RV to care about the amenities that are really important to some people. That's not a dig at any one. Just different strokes for different folks.

Seeing/visiting a place is different for different people. For some, it means seeing the highlights, often by simply to going to an overlook or taking a short stroll. For others (like us) it means finding the back roads that lead to or through interesting scenery, ghost towns, etc. Asking the Rangers for the lesser known hikes that they take their own out-of-town visitors on. Getting far away from crowds to enjoy the quiet side of an area.

If you do want to be in the Parks, make your reservations as soon as you have a date range. The last time we were in Yellowstone, I booked a 2 week period about a year ahead, even though I knew we wouldn't be there that long. We were going to be on a month-long trip and weren't sure of our exact dates. Once we reached Glacier, I called and cancelled the early and late dates we didn't need, keeping only the ones in the middle. At that time, 2011, there was no cancellation fee.

However you decide to do things, I hope you enjoy that area as much as we do. We've been to Yellowstone in 3 different seasons and the Tetons in 2. Still need to get out there in the Spring and see all the baby animals.

Safe travels.

Fran & Tom/ 4 rescue cats - Benci (2014), Peaches (2003), Tipper (2002), Snippet (2002), & in spirit - Aja (1996-2014)/2011 Winnebago Vista 30W/2008 4 door Wrangler 4X4
Floridafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 11:49 PM   #16
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We just got back from Yellowstone and we stayed at the KOA 7 miles outside of the town of West Yellowstone. I chose this one for the indoor pool for the grandkids and the other services they offered. We found that if we got an early start, there was not a wait line at the entrance. We took 4 days to explore the park taking a different part of the loop each day. We entered around 7:30 a.m. and usually came out about 2 p.m. We did some back tracking but when you look at the road, it is a figure 8 and no way to avoid that no matter where you park. The speed limit in the park was 45 mph for the most part and we were able to travel that fast most of the time. We did run into a buffalo jam one day that caused a backup of traffic about 4 miles long. The most congested areas are Old Faithful but we lucked out with a good parking space. Enjoy yourselves.

Deb & Dale--RVM107--2015 Blackstone 280 RKSB

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:49 AM   #17
I'm getting really good advice! I've read enough to know I won't be able to see and do everything on this trip. Instead of getting stressed, we'll see what we can and have good "hands on" information for our next trip.

We're in our early 50's and still on the go, but we like to settle in and relax in the evenings and get ready for the next day. Keeping stress free is important to us.
Never give a monkey a loaded gun, no matter how responsible you think he is.
mxgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bear Tooth Canyon

Originally Posted by mxgeezer View Post
My wife and I are planning out first adventure and we're going to try Yellowstone next summer and I have no idea where to start. We'll be leaving from Ft. Worth TX in our 37' National Tradewinds(2 slides) and hope to have 9-10 days to use. My biggest question is where to stay and how far ahead we have to book. We're looking for something nice, somewhat modern and scenic that's close to the major attractions. We'll be pulling a toad. Any links to campgrounds or good advice on how to prepare would be greatly appreciated.
DON'T miss Bear Tooth Canyon which is very close to Yellowstone. You will enjoy the ride with your toad. It should be a part of Yellowstone.

Heber Eason is offline   Reply With Quote