Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Our road trip to the South of Spain from the UK

Good Afternoon.

We 've just joined your forum and what a friendly lot you are.

We introduced ourselves on the new members forum and mentioned our trip to Spain.

I'm hoping that I'm in the right section regarding our adventures as I would like to share our experiences.

If I'm not then please let me know.

Regards.

John (Rvuk)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #2

Sounds like a great adventure. What kind of RV will you be using and how long are you planning to be gone? We lived in Italy for a few years a long time ago and in those days mostly tents and only very small rigs and few campgrounds but on recent trips to Europe see more MHs and larger TTs. Also in Spain last summer noticed a lot more campgrounds and some with hook-ups. Not sure at my age I'd like to take a larger RV off the main roads in those countries but if I was younger I would go for it. Go luck and happy camping!

Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Trip to Spain.

Hi Melvo.

We've got a 2008 National Seabreeze.We bought it brand new, it was imported from Lazy days (I think).
Its lpg powered so the English Channel tunnel is a no no.
I think if the weather was better we would drive down through France and down the east coast of Spain to Manilver which is in between Gibralter and Marbella.
At the moment I think the whole of the motorhome community here in England are either in Spain Portugal or Turkey.
The vast majority are the small European vans (not much bigger than the US day vans.
The American Rv is still a novelty over here and we're not geared up for the sheer size of them,the longest allowed is 39 ft 4" and 102" inches wide.
There's one or two longer ones that have slipped through the net but not many
As for Italy....My wife is Italian and has promised me a trip to Rome where she was born so that will be another adventure.

Regards.

John.(Rvuk)

Sorry....We're going for six weeks and have found a site on the beach,water hook up,drainage and 16 amp electric.A lot more European sites are catering for the Brits,dutch germans etc.They hope we're going to spend some money there !
Old 02-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome aboard, have a safe trip and post some PIC'c as everyone loves to see the sites. Jim
Old 02-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #5

Welcome RVUK another Brit on this handy forum.
See you in Manilva, it's your turn for the beers

Larry
Old 02-05-2014, 05:37 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Its raining !!

Good afternoon from a very wet Southern Spain !

Not what we expected but hopefully we shall see sunshine soon.

After a very rough crossing from the UK to Northern Spain the journey down to Manilva in Southern Spain was great.The roads are smooth and traffic free.Lpg not readily available but loads of petrol so not a problem.

Our first stop was just outside Santander at a safari park,unfortunetely the gps took us to the wrong entrance but we soon found the right one

Next stop was Carceres where on site you had your own little cabin with toilet, shower and washbasin,very novel

We arrived at Bella vista camping in Manilver mid afternoon to find the pitches so tight they had to remove a lamp post and trim off a palm tree to get us on the pitch and we're only 10 metres long. Some of you lads with the monster Rv's would have had no chance of getting on

We caused a bit of a stir and had quite an audience comprising of Dutch,German and of course the English.Would you believe the only unhelpful one amongst them was the Englishman !!!

Anyway,our friends are down here until tomorrow so I really need to get him to buy me a drink tonight before they depart

For those that are interested I will do an update with photos.

Regards to all.

Rvuk.

John and Civita.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #7

Photos are nice. Don't the Germans make some nice rigs? I was looking at European A's they seem different the Italian made one I was looking at online had a very fancy cappuccino machine in it. I noticed bedroom space and bathrooms in general tend to be small. Also how does the price of importing one compare to buying a European A?

Well watching Top Gear caravan episode (The one on fire), the motorhome racing episode, the build an motorhome episode (Top Gear US did this one as well). I can believe it was the Englishman who wasn't helpful. That said I think cararvans are much more popular there then motorhomes? Not that the adventures of ever politically correct and helpful Clarkson are to go by though.

Isn't Spain in general popular with British looking for resort style vacations? How did you cause a stir? Did you forget to shake your cocktails? You're not much shorter the I am. However I'll eventually set up a toad. I was reading about A-Frame towing on a British RV forum. First off A-Frames vs Tow bars, no comparison. Does the rest of Europe allow you to tow a reasonably sized vehicle? So propane gennies aren't common in the EU?

You should get a lime green and orange custom full paint job no one would notice you there

Pictures, of course!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Sunshine !!

Good evening to you all.

A lovely sunny day today although windy in the night and to be safe brought the canopy in.

We visited Ronda today,a fabulous typically Spanish town with little English spoken but we made ourselves understood

Weather for the next few days not good so I might wash the Rv

Anyway....pictures to follow...I hope !

Regards.

Rvuk

John.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep up the good work on keeping us informed. Can't wait to see some PIC's, would like to see what the campgrounds and RV's look like by you. Jim
Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Wall to wall sunshine.

Good afternoon to all.

Sorry for not being in touch but plenty to do here in Southern Spain.

We're off to Gibraltor tomorrow to see the apes on the rock etc.

A beautiful day here,temp about 22/23 degrees so I went for a swim in the mediterranian sea.....bloody freezing and much amusement for the locals who are still wrapped up for their winter

Our French neighbour decided to turn his motorhome around today to get the evening sun,you have never seen anything like it !!!! It must have taken him twenty minutes and lots of gaelic swearing and gesturing.It provided entertainment for the afternoon though.

When I get around to posting the photos you can decide for yourselves how tight the pitches are here.

Regards.

Rvuk

John.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very interesting and am looking forward to the photos.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote