Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2007, 07:17 AM   #1

Good morning,
Although this might be better posted in another forum I value the opinions of the members on this Monaco forum so I would appreciate any replies from those of you that have stayed at this campground
Planning a trip to Ouray in Sept. and plan on staying at the Ouray KOA. After checking out there online sight I've found that there are big rig 50 Amp pullthrough full hookup sites and 30 amp back in full hookup sites on a river or stream.
IF any of you have stayed there which sites do you thing are more attractive or do you prefer? Your opinions will help me decide on which site to reserve.
Thank you very much.
Letsgoagain

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:17 AM   #2

Good morning,
Although this might be better posted in another forum I value the opinions of the members on this Monaco forum so I would appreciate any replies from those of you that have stayed at this campground
Planning a trip to Ouray in Sept. and plan on staying at the Ouray KOA. After checking out there online sight I've found that there are big rig 50 Amp pullthrough full hookup sites and 30 amp back in full hookup sites on a river or stream.
IF any of you have stayed there which sites do you thing are more attractive or do you prefer? Your opinions will help me decide on which site to reserve.
Thank you very much.
Letsgoagain

Old 07-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #3

Letgo

You are not planning on taking highway 550 from Drango to Ouray or reverse are you?. I had a lieutenant who worked with me and he told me never to take this road. He said being in Law Enforcement many years he was scared many times, however, he said he was never so scared as when someone at the campground told him he would have no problems taking his MH and toad over the mountains. He said his toes curled so much, they left scarfs on his heels. So you will never catch me on this highway ( I do not do well with hights). BTW, never been to the KOA eigther. s/Toby
Old 07-30-2007, 06:19 PM   #4

Toby,
No I'm not taking that road with the motorhome. That will be for the jeep though. Heights don't bother me much as I've done alot of hiking where your one step from a long fall but my wife is a different matter. She gets a little freaky on narrow high briges so I think she might have a little trouble.
Since I asked about the KOA I have found out about Ridgeway State Park which might be a alternative. Sounds pretty nice and has full hookups.
Thanks for the reply.
Letsgoagain
Old 07-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #5

Hello LetsGo
We just stayed at the Ouray KOA about 4 weeks ago and enjoyed the stay enough to add two additional days at their campground. The campsites are broken up into two areas. There is a group of pull throughs that are behind the main office building with a separate entrance off the road coming into the campground. These are basically side by side sites with little or no shade. The second area is up the hill in front of the office. We stayed in site #60 which we would consider the best spot in the campground. This was also agreed to be the best by several of the folks working at the campground after a poll amongst themselves. #60 is up the hill from the office and around a hairpin corner to the right, and then straight at the end of that road where it intersects with all the other roads in the upper area. It is a corner site and probably the largest available. We actually had to go around the upper campground to pull into the spot and then back out when leaving, even though it is a pull through site. There is a grill and picnic table and many large trees on the site. The view out the front of the motorhome was looking directly at the mountains to the east of the KOA. All the help was super friendly and helpful and the owner of the campground is a great guy also. We made lots of jokes with him about getting out the chainsaw to make access to our site a little easier. We assured him everything would be alright. I don't know what your agenda is for the area, but we would HIGHLY recommend the Priest Gulch campground on the other side of the mountains from Ouray to the south. After many years of RVing this is about the best we have found. If interested let me know and I can tell you more about it and the location. By the way, the stream mentioned in the info about the KOA is more of an irrigation canal than it is a stream, but the sound is still rather soothing. We also took the towd over the mountains from Ouray to Silverton, then on to Durango, across the south past Mesa Verde and then back over the top of the mountains past Telluride and back to Ouray. A very nice drive but with lots of pucker up spots along the way.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:00 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Letsgo,

The Monacos-in-Motion club will be at the Ouray KOA on caravan 9/1-5. I think they have those 50 amp sites reserved those 5 nights. The KOA is also hosting a 4-wheeler club out of Durango 9/1-3 but they will be in a dry camping area. The MiMs will be 4-wheeling also. Maybe you could stop by for a visit if you are there or at Ridgeway during that time. This will be my 1st visit to the KOA.

Paul
psc907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #7

Hello again
I just posted my last reply and saw that you had added another also. We also considered the Ridgeway State Park but when we were setting up the trip we thought we would be safer making reservation at a known campground and we're glad we did. We went back to Ridgeway after getting settled at the KOA to check out the sites and were less than impressed considering the many excellent reviews we had found online about Ridgeway. There are three different RV areas there, two of which are basically out in the open fields, and the last one is higher up in the cedar and pines, but there is no way I would have taken the coach in those sites. The trees are very low, the road is very narrow, and the sites are much smaller than the advertising would lead you to believe. The other two areas weren't very level and there was absolutely no shade at all. I would say that most of the online reviews had to be from T.T. folks. It is a very modern and pretty park, but certainly not our cup of tea. I'm sure you'll pass by it on your way into Ouray since coming from the North is the best way into Ouray. By the way, our coach is a 2001 Diplomat LE 38PBD double slide and we had room to spare in our spot at the KOA even with the towd parked straight in behind the motorhome.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 PM   #8

Wow, talk about informative replies. PSC907 we won't be out there until the middle of Sept but we would really enjoy meeting some other like minded travelers like yourself.
MTRoamer you have given me all the information that I could have asked for and more. I kind of hate to make the big trip of the year and not be happy with the campground I'm at but you have put that notion to rest. Thanks for the description of the campground and your particular favorite spot. KOA it will be and will try to reserve the site you mentioned. Thanks again everyone for all the great replies.
Best regards,
Letsgoagin
Old 07-31-2007, 08:06 PM   #9

Letsgo
Glad I was able to be of help to you. I actually have a couple of pics of the motorhome in Site 60 @ KOA if I could figure out how to get them to you. You know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words. It sounds like you have a great vacation in store for you. Come back and let us know how it went and if you get the chance, I highly recommend the loop around the mts and back thru Telluride. Here is the list of roads:
South on Hwy 550 from Ouray past Silverton and on into Durango.
From Durango you go Hwy 160 west towards Mesa Verde.
North on Hwy 145 to Dolores through Stapleton, Stoner, Rico, Ames past Telluride to Placerville.
Right on Hwy 62 back to Ridgeway.
Right on Hwy 550 and back to Ouray.
Below is a link to the website for the San Juan Scenic Skyway which is the name of the loop.

http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2101/travel.html
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife and I were married in Ouray many years ago and really like the Timber Ridge RV park not far from the city pool/hotsprings. If the KOA does not work out for you, check it out. We will be there from 8/29 to 9/5. Colo license 1TRKMND. Would love to get acquainted.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Hi -

I am creating a short-cut to the 'Need Campground Information' forum. You should get additional help/suggestions from the additional visibility.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #12

I've stayed at all three CG's in Ouray and like the KOA the best. I'm reluctant to give any advice as all I have is a small a-frame Chalet pop-up.
I prefer boondocking but the CG's work fine for me in Ouray.
I didn't care for the food at their cafe on site.
One thing I like about KOA is you are just about as close to Ridgeway as Ouray and I tend to drive to Ridgeway to eat. True Grit has never let me down in the many years I've ate there.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:40 AM   #13

MtRoamer,
Have a question for you. Have you ever stayed in Silverton in one of their campgrounds or have you looked at any of them? Thinking it might be a little more central between Ouray and Durango. My main concern over other things is that the campground is nice though so if you think the KOA in Ouray is better then I would really like your opinion.
Thanks for the mention of Priest Gulch. Someone else on here somewhere mentioned that campground also.
Letsgoagain <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MtRoamer:
Letsgo
Glad I was able to be of help to you. I actually have a couple of pics of the motorhome in Site 60 @ KOA if I could figure out how to get them to you. You know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words. It sounds like you have a great vacation in store for you. Come back and let us know how it went and if you get the chance, I highly recommend the loop around the mts and back thru Telluride. Here is the list of roads:
South on Hwy 550 from Ouray past Silverton and on into Durango.
From Durango you go Hwy 160 west towards Mesa Verde.
North on Hwy 145 to Dolores through Stapleton, Stoner, Rico, Ames past Telluride to Placerville.
Right on Hwy 62 back to Ridgeway.
Right on Hwy 550 and back to Ouray.
Below is a link to the website for the San Juan Scenic Skyway which is the name of the loop.

http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2101/travel.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #14

Hello again LetsGo,
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your last post. I just missed it until I went back to see what I might have missed in the older posts.
To answer your question, I don't recall seeing any parks in the Silverton area, but then I really wasn't looking since we already had a base in Ouray. There really isn't much to Silverton other than a bunch of old mining buildings that are now souvenir shops. That and the train are about all there is of interest. It really isn't that much of a trip from Ouray to Silverton, but the road is rather steep. It's a toss up to get over to Priest Gulch by way of Durango or the back way past Telluride. Neither road would keep me from taking the coach over the mts, but then I live in Utah and am quite used to steep roads.
I have sent a couple of pics to my photo album of the campsite at the KOA I suggested. I will post them tomorrow once they have been approved by the host.