Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #15
Just an FYI the Yellowstone CG's don't even open until June, and sometimes the park doesn't either depending on the snow. There are alot of places in the Grand Canyon/Sedona area where you can park your MH and spend several weeks exploring in your Jeep.

Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #16
Even here in the "lowlands" (Minnesota) between the Black Hills and Wisc. we anticipate getting the worst blizzards in March, and the lakes are just beginning to melt. Even late April sees snow (although not much or for very long).
It wan't clear how long you would like to take to make this grand circle, but I wouldn't even think of getting to any high country places before the beginning of June - and mid to late June would be better. Sorry about all the other people, but the season is real short in the mountains.

GBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #17
Yellowstone is really beautiful in the winter. Maybe ever prettier than in the summer. The only way to view it in the winter now days is by guided snowmobiles or snow coaches (vehicles with tracks on back & skies on front). To get near most of the places you have mentioned in Feb. & March it will be difficult in an RV. (Probably impossible )

The Grand Canyon South Rim is doable year round. The Trailer Village campground there is open year around. Now we were there 2-1-14 and it was 3 degree. So be aware.

ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #18
Out west trip

Ok so May to June would be doable? If I start heading across Texas in late April? I have a wedding in New Orleans mid April, and I was going to head that way, taking our time. We are full time, but have engagements through the year in the southern US. I will do my research and take your advise. We have camped in Wisconsin when we got snow, but I don't want to be snowed in. So I guess I will research it and see if I need to put the trip off for awhile.

We were planing on staying on the outside of Yellowstone and exploring by jeep.
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #19
Last week of May, La Sal Pass, 10 miles from Moab, UT

3rd week of July, Leadville, CO,
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #20
For us, your route is "back East". Most folks out here don't consider that "The West" starts until you're over the crest of the Rockies.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:33 PM   #21
Campgrounds - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

This official site for Yellowstone will give you an idea of when the campgrounds open. Mammoth is open year-round. Others open in May and June.

Each year is different with the weather and road openings fluctuate so it's hard to give you a definite answer. I will say that if you get to the Yellowstone area you will not need reservations. So as you're heading that direction you could adjust your time, accordingly. We've been to Grand Teton Nat'l Park and Yellowstone the end of May. The roads were just fine and there was plenty of snow on the upper mountains so it was absolutely beautiful. We got to see many newborn animals by being there early. In Yellowstone the geyser areas were equally gorgeous without the crowds. So it could be a great time for visiting.

The only reservations that I would suggest would be for Grand Canyon's Trailer Village RV which is in the park and which is the best place to stay for seeing the canyon.

May and June is still early for vacationers to those parks so you won't have to worry about crowds like in July and August.

Just wing it and you'll have a good trip.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #22
Thanks, I just found out that my plans need to be after mid May because of a high school graduation around mid May. So it looks like the earliest we will be heading that way will be around the 21st of May. Ok, should we head to Yellowstone first and work our way down to the Grand Canyon or do our original plan for Grand Canyon first and working our way north to Yellowstone?

Thanks for all the suggestions and information.
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:49 AM   #23
Go with your original plans. Grand Canyon first. Still be snow in the high parts of Yellowstone.

ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:57 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As others have said, later is better. We've done the Black Hills in May, it was beautiful, and Yellowstone in early June (you're pretty safe from the crowds until at least mid June, just about anywhere). We had good weather in Yellowstone until the day we went to leave, the pass we wanted to use on our exit was closed for a few hours that morning due to snow. We delayed our departure by a day.

I'd not plan a driving trip to any of the destinations you mention before May and the higher elevation areas not before June, just too likely to run into very bad weather.

Our last trip to Yellowstone was in early August, and you're right, the crowds were something we'll look to avoid for any future visits. One of our favorite times to visit all of those areas is September. Maybe you could flip your trip around and do those parks after the wedding?
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #25
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The southern part of your trip is great in April and May. Grand Canyon, Vegas and Zion are wonderful in April as is Arches. There might be a few restrictions, but you can feel comfortable in the toad. Bryce is iffy that time of year due to the elevation, but if you can handle upper 20s/low 30s in your rig with full hookups at Ruby's Inn campground, you can take the toad or the park bus for sightseeing. I have camped in a popup in Grand Teton in late May, and I was thrilled with the wild animal young. The campground at the north end of the park is a good electric hookup site to do day trips into Yellowstone. There probably will be snow in late May, but most of the park is open to cars by then. I have also been in the Black Hills in late May/early June. It is cold at night but lovely.

Obviously I have more tolerance for cold weather camping than most of the other folks who gave you advice. It really comes down to what you and your rig are comfortable with. I gladly put up with some snow possibilities to see the area without as many people. You do have to be comfortable with a flexible schedule to work around any late storms, but just keep an eye on the forecast and head to lower elevations of cold weather or significant snow is forecast. Keep the propane tanks full for heating if needed.
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240 RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:32 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The video about Beartooth Pass was like on another planet.
I had white knuckles holding on my mouse... The few times the camera moved I thought we were going over the edge!!!!
Never seen anything like that, I drove semi up and over a lot of mountain passes. Was that pass just open after the blowers went thru?
Happy New Year,
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Short Answer .... NO
I Love That Short Answer!
07 Meridian 34H 350 Cat
2010 Subaru Forester Tow
Home Port is Kingman,Az
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:16 AM   #28
We go to jackson hole every year snowmobiling in late feb or early march seems like that's the best snow conditions
I wouldn't take my coach near there that time of year

05' Newmar EXDP 4502 08 Saturn Outlook , 14 Silverado crew, 04 Wrangler, or 26' enclosed ATC trailer
STEVE-JUNELL is offline   Reply With Quote