Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we saw kids skiing on the Bearpass this pass July...late July!!
and it is not only about the snow in Montana...the winds are incredible!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 12:34 AM   #30

Can we expect full campgrounds and slow traffic in Yellowstone in June?

Thanks

Tom

Old 01-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #31

Remember there are campgrounds that don't even take reservations. Drive in early morning to get the sites. There won't be as much actual driving traffic as July/August but folks will be stopping to see the baby critters. Enjoy!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post

Thanks

Tom
We were there May 26- Jun 3, and I would say the traffic was light compared to pics I've seen of later in the summer. There would still be traffic jams when bears or elk were near the road, bison were everywhere so not too many cars stopped to gawk at them.
We stayed at Fishing Bridge CG and it was beginning to fill up when we left, but we did talk with the owner of a 40' Phaeton who had just driven in and they had a site to fit him. Usually those sites are booked up 6+ months ahead.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks

Tom
We generally try to go just after Memorial Day. Some places are open, some aren't, but we have been able to find a place for a smaller trailer. We generally dry camp, but sometimes we can find a spot with electricity which makes dealing with the cool/cold temps easier. The advantage is that the nursery herds are still in the valleys, so you see all the babies. The traffic is bearable unless, of course, there is a bear :-) By mid June the rest of the campgrounds are open and traffic is picking up. By late June things get crowded and stay that way until around Labor Day. September is a lovely time with the high country turning gold, but the campgrounds start shutting down.

For those with smaller setups, we really like to stay at Bakers Hole Forest Service campground, 5 miles north of West Yellowstone. Many sites with electric, no dump, central water.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
For those with smaller setups, we really like to stay at Bakers Hole Forest Service campground, 5 miles north of West Yellowstone. Many sites with electric, no dump, central water.
You don't have to have a small RV to stay at Bakers Hole. We stayed there numerous times with our 40' motorhome. It's a great alternative as they don't take reservations.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #35

Ok, looks like we leave for our out west trip near the end of May. My question is, should we head to the Grand Canyon first, stopping at locations along the way, leaving (Huntsville, Al. Area.) Or should we head first to Yellow Stone and work our way down to the Grand Canyon. I feel I can't make reservations at the campgrounds because we like to stop along the way and hate having to be anywhere at a set time.
I want to avoid the crowds of summer. I worry about the heat in the southwest in June and July. And then I was thinking of going over to the Oregon coast, ( is it worth it)?

Sorry for the rambling

Tom
Old 03-25-2015, 05:58 PM   #36

Leaving that late (late May), I would head for Yellowstone first to minimize the crowds. It gets much more crowded than the GC as the summer progresses, IMO. And although the southwest can get hot in the summer, if you stick to the higher elevations of the southwest, the temperatures are usually bearable.
Coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #37

You're going to get different views on your last questions....like mine.

I would do the Grand Canyon first as it DOES get very hot there and it DOES get busy in the summer, just like Yellowstone. From Alabama that would be your logical driving choice.

Then head to Yellowstone and you'll still be there in June sometime. July & August are the busiest times for Yellowstone. Then head to the Oregon coast (yes, it's worth it). It is always cool on the coast.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:13 PM   #38

For us, your trip is "back East"!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkerb View Post
we saw kids skiing on the Bearpass this pass July...late July!!
and it is not only about the snow in Montana...the winds are incredible!
One can ski Beartooth pass almost year-round. Except in the winter time, access is more difficult!!

Quote:

Thanks

Tom
Moderate. It really gets busy in July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I would do the Grand Canyon first as it DOES get very hot there and it DOES get busy in the summer, just like Yellowstone. From Alabama that would be your logical driving choice.

Then head to Yellowstone and you'll still be there in June sometime. July & August are the busiest times for Yellowstone. Then head to the Oregon coast (yes, it's worth it). It is always cool on the coast.
I would agree and for all the same reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
For us, your trip is "back East"!
For me, it's South!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #40

So what is the best way to drive a large diesel pusher to Yellowstone from Utah, I want to visit jack hole and the grand Tetons. I don't want to drive any bad mountain roads.

Thanks for info.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Utah in May and June is good time

We did 6 weeks last year in May and June and spent most of that time in Utah. It was hot even in May at Zion and Bryce was nice during the day, but cold at night. At Zion we had to park in Springdale and walk in only one day, other days we were able to park at the Visitor's Center. That was May13-20th last year. Torrey was busy but we were there on Memorial weekend...the park, Capital Reef, was not overly crowded though. Moab for Arches and Canyonlands was lovely that time of year. Parks were not too crowded in May but as you get close to June they do start to get crowded. I highly recommend May.

Robin
RobinfromCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #42

Tom, Utah to Grand Teton Nat'l Park:

Guess it depends where in Utah you'd be starting. With our 40' MH we've driven 191 from the AZ border but you'll hit a steep uphill out of Vernal but it's doable.

We've also taken 191 to 40 and west on 40 toward Heber City, continuing north to I-80 at Evanston to 189/89 into Jackson, WY.

From I-70 we've also taken 10 to 191 or 89 north through Mt. Pleasant.

These are all scenic drives. We're fine with some hills and turns .

If you want interstate, then take I-15 north into Idaho and pick up Hwy 26 at Idaho Falls. Take 26 east to 89 at Alpine and north from there. 26 runs along the river so it's flat.

Fill with fuel for best price close to Idaho Falls or there is a big rig station (or two) in Alpine. Just south of Jackson on the left is a Smith's Grocery which also has fuel. In the same complex is a laundry and liquor store next to Smith's. The fuel station is usually very busy but if you hit it at the right time - o.k.

A little further on 89 just before Jackson on the right is another large grocery - Albertson's, I think.

We prefer staying in the national park itself - either at Gros Ventre or Colter campgrounds (both dry camping). There's also Colter RV Park if you want hookups.

Have a good trip.