Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #43

We are leaving north Alabama / South Tenn area. We had planned to go to the Grand Canyon and explore the Arizona area before going to Vegas and then we are undecided. We are full time, so I was thinking of going to Yosemite onto the Redwoods and up the Oregon coast. Or, just go up through Utah, Zion, Bryce to Jackson Hole. We are full time but do have to be in Wisconsin sometime in July or early August. I have heard camping on the Oregon coast can be expensive. And ideas will be appreciated.

Note: we can't leave until late May, I am concerned because I want to take my time and I can't make reservations way in advance, so I am worried about campgrounds being full with Summer vacationers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #44

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Oregon coast gets booked quick. Their State CG's are the best and about 25 a nite. The RV world has exploded in popularity so going with no reservations could be rough but people do book then cancel so you might be ok. You might also be camping at Wallmart. Kidding. Things are starting to warm up in So Utah in June. By the end of June things will be packed. From Memorial day to Labor day RVing is maxed out.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You're going to get different views on your last questions....like mine.

I would do the Grand Canyon first as it DOES get very hot there and it DOES get busy in the summer, just like Yellowstone. From Alabama that would be your logical driving choice.

Then head to Yellowstone and you'll still be there in June sometime. July & August are the busiest times for Yellowstone. Then head to the Oregon coast (yes, it's worth it). It is always cool on the coast.

I like this scenario. I would however carve out some time for the Tetons (south of Yellowstone). Colter Bay would be on my list of places to stay while in that area. I've been to both parks many of times. I've learned that, for me at least, it is best to home port in the northern section and enjoy several days exploring Lamar Valley, And all points North, then move to a south central location like Fishing Bridge for further Exploration. Then move south again to the Tetons. These parks are so huge, you literally spend a full day in your car just getting from one side to the other.

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (on order)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Old 03-31-2015, 11:49 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
I like this scenario. I would however carve out some time for the Tetons (south of Yellowstone). Colter Bay would be on my list of places to stay while in that area. I've been to both parks many of times. I've learned that, for me at least, it is best to home port in the northern section and enjoy several days exploring Lamar Valley, And all points North, then move to a south central location like Fishing Bridge for further Exploration. Then move south again to the Tetons. These parks are so huge, you literally spend a full day in your car just getting from one side to the other.

Does Colter Bay have any hookups? Also is I can get a spot at fishing bridge , how is the drive to fishing bridge?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:58 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
So what is the best way to drive a large diesel pusher to Yellowstone from Utah, I want to visit jack hole and the grand Tetons. I don't want to drive any bad mountain roads.

Thanks for info.
Good purchase would be a truckers road atlas. It will show all of the grades, low clearances and restricted roads.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:56 PM   #48

Quote:
Does Colter Bay have any hookups? Also is I can get a spot at fishing bridge , how is the drive to fishing bridge?

Tom222,

Both spots have hookups and are driveable. Check ahead about camp ground seasonal openings and closings. Reservations are strongly recommended.

Travel safely!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:00 PM   #49

If you're leaving from Alabama the Grand Canyon and southern Utah parks are on your way. Stop and enjoy them!

Then get on I-15 north through Salt Lake City and into Idaho. When you get to Idaho Falls, take Hwy 26 east (easy drive along beautiful waterways) to Alpine and north on 89 through Jackson, WY into Grand Teton Nat'l Park. You can always get a site at Gros Ventre (our favorite) or Colter campgrounds (dry). If you're lucky you could get into Colter Bay RV (hookups) without a reservation but arrive early morning and not on a weekend. If full, stay at Colter campground right next door. Neither Gros Ventre or Colter campgrounds accept reservations.

July and August are the popular months where you would need reservations.

Then head north through Teton NP into Yellowstone. Again, if you're lucky in this early season, you won't need reservations. We've never had one and we've stayed at Bridge Bay, Madison and Mammoth campgrounds in the park. If you're finding them full just head out the west entrance to West Yellowstone. There are plenty of RV parks there and also a lovely national forest campground on the Madison River just outside the town limits. They have some electric but mostly dry sites. They don't accept reservations. It's gorgeous.

As far as the Oregon coast, the state parks are very reasonable and that's where we always stay. Again, don't pull in on a weekend and preferably early to late morning.

If you do all of the above, I'd skip Yosemite. To us, all these other parks are much better. Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
These are favorite areas for us as they are just north of our home and are our regularly visited locations. Start south and head north. The slightly increased number of visitors at Yellowstone will be a small concern compared to the greatly improved weather over the entire trip.

When you go to the Grand Canyon I'd recommend you go to the north rim. It has much less crowds, historic and beautiful facilities, and provides much easier access to the Utah parks. Don't miss Bryce and Zion, they are unique and well worth the visit.

Also there's a great campground right between Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. We stay there so we can access both parks from one location. It's a few dollars more per night but you'll save more than that in fuel and the hassle of not having to move campgrounds.

Be sure to take the "Yellowstone in a Day" tour. It's the best way to get your bearings, and you'll know what areas you'll want to come back to enjoy in depth. It's a huge park and just wandering on your own may cause you to miss lots of cool stuff.

Enjoy your trip. I'll be amazed if you don't vow that you'll be coming back.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:31 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you're leaving from Alabama the Grand Canyon and southern Utah parks are on your way. Stop and enjoy them!

Then get on I-15 north through Salt Lake City and into Idaho. When you get to Idaho Falls, take Hwy 26 east (easy drive along beautiful waterways) to Alpine and north on 89 through Jackson, WY into Grand Teton Nat'l Park. You can always get a site at Gros Ventre (our favorite) or Colter campgrounds (dry). If you're lucky you could get into Colter Bay RV (hookups) without a reservation but arrive early morning and not on a weekend. If full, stay at Colter campground right next door. Neither Gros Ventre or Colter campgrounds accept reservations.

July and August are the popular months where you would need reservations.

Then head north through Teton NP into Yellowstone. Again, if you're lucky in this early season, you won't need reservations. We've never had one and we've stayed at Bridge Bay, Madison and Mammoth campgrounds in the park. If you're finding them full just head out the west entrance to West Yellowstone. There are plenty of RV parks there and also a lovely national forest campground on the Madison River just outside the town limits. They have some electric but mostly dry sites. They don't accept reservations. It's gorgeous.

As far as the Oregon coast, the state parks are very reasonable and that's where we always stay. Again, don't pull in on a weekend and preferably early to late morning.

If you do all of the above, I'd skip Yosemite. To us, all these other parks are much better. Have a good trip!

Thanks, this is exactly the information I needed!
Old 04-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
These are favorite areas for us as they are just north of our home and are our regularly visited locations. Start south and head north. The slightly increased number of visitors at Yellowstone will be a small concern compared to the greatly improved weather over the entire trip.

When you go to the Grand Canyon I'd recommend you go to the north rim. It has much less crowds, historic and beautiful facilities, and provides much easier access to the Utah parks. Don't miss Bryce and Zion, they are unique and well worth the visit.

Also there's a great campground right between Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. We stay there so we can access both parks from one location. It's a few dollars more per night but you'll save more than that in fuel and the hassle of not having to move campgrounds.

Be sure to take the "Yellowstone in a Day" tour. It's the best way to get your bearings, and you'll know what areas you'll want to come back to enjoy in depth. It's a huge park and just wandering on your own may cause you to miss lots of cool stuff.

Enjoy your trip. I'll be amazed if you don't vow that you'll be coming back.

And again Great information!
Old 04-01-2015, 03:36 PM   #53

South you would recommend the parks of Zion and Bryce over Monument Valley and the Arches , the route up the east side of the state?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
South you would recommend the parks of Zion and Bryce over Monument Valley and the Arches , the route up the east side of the state?

Thanks
All of these parks are SO different from each other. We've been through them all. Zion is amazingly beautiful, and there's an RV park just outside of Zion that's excellent. Monument Valley is a large park, beautiful southwestern spires as seen in all the old cowboy movies, but aside from looking at them or driving around them little else to do.

We've hiked every trail in Arches except one (Dark Angel), and we're headed there this fall to check that one off our list. If you're up to hiking, check out the Fiery Furnace hike with an Arches ranger showing you the way. And then, there's Mesa Verde - another fantastic park experience...but I don't want to make your choices even more difficult!

Regardless of which of these parks you choose, you'll have a great time! Enjoy!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #55

We are not big on hiking, got a messed up back.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #56

Quote:
So what is the best way to drive a large diesel pusher to Yellowstone from Utah, I want to visit jack hole and the grand Tetons. I don't want to drive any bad mountain roads.
From Zion and Bryce to Capitol Reef, you will most likely drive the passes on UT SR12 between Escalante and Boulder, and Boulder and Torrey. The Escalante to Boulder road was incredible, built on the slickrock with steep drop-offs on both sides. The Boulder to Torrey road had some gorgeous views and subalpine terrain at over 9,200 feet! They both have 6-8% grades, mostly 6% and are very manageable. If you do not take this route, you will add days to your trip. Take this route, it's worth it.

When you leave Arches and Canyonlands, take 191 north to I70 to Green River. At Green River, take 191 north through Price to Spanish Fork.

DO NOT take I70 from Green River to I15 at Salina.

I REPEAT: AVOID I70 FROM GREEN RIVER TO SALINA IF YOU WANT TO AVOID MOUNTAIN PASSES. This route is not worth it when you can take 191 and only have one smallish pass between Price and Spanish Fork.