Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #57

What about Hwy 14 coming out of Yellowstone going through Cody WY, is it a good road for RV's or is it a white knuckle rd..)

Thomas
Our Big RV Adventures - Facebook Group

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 05:55 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you want interstate, then take I-15 north into Idaho and pick up Hwy 26 at Idaho Falls. Take 26 east to 89 at Alpine and north from there. 26 runs along the river so it's flat.

Fill with fuel for best price close to Idaho Falls or there is a big rig station (or two) in Alpine. Just south of Jackson on the left is a Smith's Grocery which also has fuel. In the same complex is a laundry and liquor store next to Smith's. The fuel station is usually very busy but if you hit it at the right time - o.k.
There's a Mexican Café in the Pilot station in Beaver Utah that has VERY good food. No, REALLY good. I always stop, and there are a lot of long haul truckers who make that stop for the food (including ethnic Mexicans, so you know it's authentic).

Old 04-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #59

Highway 20/14 from Cody into Yellowstone is a good highway for Rvers.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #60

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
There's a Mexican Café in the Pilot station in Beaver Utah that has VERY good food. No, REALLY good. I always stop, and there are a lot of long haul truckers who make that stop for the food (including ethnic Mexicans, so you know it's authentic).
Feel free to stop and eat in Beaver, but be aware of a well-known tire scam in the town.
Travelers stopped in Utah for gas, were scared into buying tires, state found | The Salt Lake Tribune

I live in Utah, and I wouldn't stop in that community for any purpose.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:37 AM   #61

The mayor AND sheriff were involved?
That's disturbing
Old 04-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #62

Ok apart from all that....I really need basic info. Here is what we want to do, after leaving Zion / Bryce we are going straight up to Jackson Hole or Yellowstone. I want to go visit the grand Tetons, but Yellow is my main focus. We plan on staying about two to three weeks in the area. I am from the flat lands of Alabama so 6 & 8% grades most of the time could be a challenge, although I feel I could handle it if it wasn't a road that was described as "white knuckle". I need suggested roads from Utah to Jackson Hole and the Yellowstone to Fishing Bridge campground in Yellowstone OR would you suggest staying outside the park and visiting Jackson Hole via car? Note: I have National Park Pass, so I get discounted national park camping. I just don't know where to enter the park and if we need to stay at one location and visit places like Jackson Hole by car?

I really need help.

Thomas
Old 04-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
I am from the flat lands of Alabama so 6 & 8% grades most of the time could be a challenge, although I feel I could handle it if it wasn't a road that was described as "white knuckle".
There are very, very few roads that are 6 and 8% grades "most of the time". Generally, you will see stretches where they are common for 15-20 miles, interspersed with flats and 2-3% sections. A six-mile 6% grade is a very long one. Few 8% grades are more than 3-4 miles. Road engineers will find alternate routes to make the grade longer and flatter.

From what I've heard of "The Dragon's Tail" in Tennessee, that's a "white knuckle" road, which makes it a classic for sports cars and motorcycles.

These roads are much tamer.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #64

Here is the easiest driving from Bryce/Zion Utah:

From Bryce (depending on where you're staying) get on Hwy 89 North and take it to I-70. Follow I-70 west to I-15. Take I-15 north through Utah and into Idaho.

In Idaho continue on I-15 to Idaho Falls. Then take Hwy 26 to Alpine, Wyoming and Hwy 89.

From Alpine take Hwy 89 north through the town of Jackson which will take you into Teton Nat'l Park. Stay in the park at either the dry campgrounds of Gros Ventre (our favorite) or further north at Colter Bay campground. Both have 300 sites and rarely fill. No reservations are accepted. If you want full hookups in the national park, the only choice is Colter Bay RV which is right next door to the above-mentioned Colter Bay campground (dry camping w/water fill and dump station).

You will not be driving any big mountain grades the whole route. In the Tetons you don't drive the mountains, you will be at the bottom valley on very good roads.

Leaving the Tetons, continue heading north on 89 past Colter Bay. 89 will then take you into the south entrance of Yellowstone. Follow it to Fishing Bridge RV. You'll have no big issues on driving.

It would help if you would study the park's web sites. Each national park has one and it's full of helpful hints on things to do, road information, campground information, etc.

Here is Yellowstone's:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm

Here is Teton Nat'l Park:

http://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm

You might also check out Zion's and Bryce.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Here is the easiest driving from Bryce/Zion Utah:

From Bryce (depending on where you're staying) get on Hwy 89 North and take it to I-70. Follow I-70 west to I-15. Take I-15 north through Utah and into Idaho.

In Idaho continue on I-15 to Idaho Falls. Then take Hwy 26 to Alpine, Wyoming and Hwy 89.

From Alpine take Hwy 89 north through the town of Jackson which will take you into Teton Nat'l Park. Stay in the park at either the dry campgrounds of Gros Ventre (our favorite) or further north at Colter Bay campground. Both have 300 sites and rarely fill. No reservations are accepted. If you want full hookups in the national park, the only choice is Colter Bay RV which is right next door to the above-mentioned Colter Bay campground (dry camping w/water fill and dump station).

You will not be driving any big mountain grades the whole route. In the Tetons you don't drive the mountains, you will be at the bottom valley on very good roads.

Leaving the Tetons, continue heading north on 89 past Colter Bay. 89 will then take you into the south entrance of Yellowstone. Follow it to Fishing Bridge RV. You'll have no big issues on driving.

It would help if you would study the park's web sites. Each national park has one and it's full of helpful hints on things to do, road information, campground information, etc.

Here is Yellowstone's:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm

Here is Teton Nat'l Park:

http://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm

You might also check out Zion's and Bryce.

Thomas
Old 04-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #66

Thanks for the information, if you ever get down to the Gulf Shores Al area, I got all the info you need on the area, I worked at the PD for 20 yrs. thanks again.

Thomas
Old 04-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #67

We love Gulf Shores! Have stayed at the state park many times.

You'll do just fine on your big trip to the West!!
Old 04-24-2015, 01:37 AM   #68

Quote:
Thomas

Would it be possible to come around the backside of the Grand Canyon and come up on the backside of Zion and Bryce? This route would have me not having to go though Vegas.

Thomas
Old 04-24-2015, 06:48 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Would it be possible to come around the backside of the Grand Canyon and come up on the backside of Zion and Bryce? This route would have me not having to go though Vegas.

What do you mean "backside of the Grand Canyon?" Are you talking about the North Rim or the South Rim?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
What do you mean "backside of the Grand Canyon?" Are you talking about the North Rim or the South Rim?

Was referring to taking hwy. 89 or 89 A to the back side of Zion. Does 89A go to the north rim?

Thomas